Spirit Airlines flights I got for Truly $9!

luckyman_apd

DIS Veteran
So, Spirit Airlines has been the bain of existence for some.....but for us, it has provided many ultra cheap flights....but this one takes the cake. Spirit is not a typical airline, and if you're not familiar with them, you can be shocked by all their extra fees and make your flight more expensive than if you flew another airline. Read the fine print and know what you're getting into to see if it will save you money or not.
So on our last flight, they go through their credit card sale on board and I'm half listening.....15,000 bonus miles on first purchase.....2500 extra miles if you sign up on the plane.......enough for up to 3 roundtrip tickets.....Wait what? 3 round trip tickets? get outta town....that can't be true. So the wheels start spinning and I say sure....let me sign up...I'll just cancel 2 weeks after the card arrives if it's bogus. When you sign up on the plane sometimes they give you a certificate for bonus miles. In this case, 2500 or enough for a possible 1 way flight. When we get off the plane I do so searching on my phone...and I find sure enough.....with enough advance planning (like more than 6 months) it is possible as a Spirit Mastercard holder, you can get an early morning or late night flight for as low as 2500 miles one way. So now I'm giddy because our trip in December has some of these flights available.

Once the card arrived (took almost 2 weeks) and made the first purchase to get the miles....Had to wait for the billing period to end, and then PAY THE BILL the 15,000 miles were deposited into my free spirit account. With the 2500 certificate they gave me, and the 1,600 I already had...I was able to purchase 1,000 miles for $26.88 and then use 20,000 miles to book 4 round trip flights from Atlantic City to Orlando in December. It cost $5.60 in taxes to book each segment, so $22.40 each way....plus the 26.88 to buy the 1000 miles (the lowest amount they sell) and I just book round trip airfare for 4 for $71.68! Total!

Some warnings and exceptions to anyone looking to take advantage of this......Spirit is VERY clever with their fine print and processes so fully educate yourself. When booking reward flights with these miles, spirit charges a fee.....and the closer the flight, the more the fee. There is no reward redemption fee when you book 180 out and beyond. Once you get inside 180 days the fees start to build and get higher and really make it not worth it. Plus, those 2500 mile flights are rare and practically non existent inside of 180 days. BUT if you play it right, plan ahead, and search the flights online before ever signing up....it can pay off! $71.68 for 4 people comes to $17.92 round trip....Truly a $9 airfare!

Edit....a few extra details.....the credit card DOES have an annual fee, but they waive the fee for the first year. Surely enough the $71.68 is the LAST charge we will be making on the card and after the trip in December we will be canceling the card and NOT paying the $59 annual fee. If you take the card and miles, you have to make a purchase every month with it to keep the miles. They will expire if you don't make 1 purchase a month. Overall I am a fan of the airline because of the cheap airfares we've gotten, but this deal takes some planning to execute. There was a different flight we wanted but had to travel for an extra day because the 2500 mile flight disappeared a week ago and we hadn't had the miles deposited into our free spirit account until yesterday.

Last edited:
Congrats on your score!

Just last week I booked our January flights to Orlando. Was able to get the elusive 2,500 mile flights for both down and back. Bought the big seats with the money saved. If you do it right, Spirit can be a huge asset to your budget!

Gad you got a good deal. Personally, I wouldn't fly Spirit if they were free. I prefer airlines with interline agreements with other airlines and a larger flight schedule, more comfortable seats (which recline), no fees for every extra, great frequent flyer program, etc. There's a lot more to consider than basic price.

So, Spirit Airlines has been the bain of existence for some.....but for us, it has provided many ultra cheap flights....but this one takes the cake. Spirit is not a typical airline, and if you're not familiar with them, you can be shocked by all their extra fees and make your flight more expensive than if you flew another airline. Read the fine print and know what you're getting into to see if it will save you money or not.
So on our last flight, they go through their credit card sale on board and I'm half listening.....15,000 bonus miles on first purchase.....2500 extra miles if you sign up on the plane.......enough for up to 3 roundtrip tickets.....Wait what? 3 round trip tickets? get outta town....that can't be true. So the wheels start spinning and I say sure....let me sign up...I'll just cancel 2 weeks after the card arrives if it's bogus. When you sign up on the plane sometimes they give you a certificate for bonus miles. In this case, 2500 or enough for a possible 1 way flight. When we get off the plane I do so searching on my phone...and I find sure enough.....with enough advance planning (like more than 6 months) it is possible as a Spirit Mastercard holder, you can get an early morning or late night flight for as low as 2500 miles one way. So now I'm giddy because our trip in December has some of these flights available.

Once the card arrived (took almost 2 weeks) and made the first purchase to get the miles....Had to wait for the billing period to end, and then PAY THE BILL the 15,000 miles were deposited into my free spirit account. With the 2500 certificate they gave me, and the 1,600 I already had...I was able to purchase 1,000 miles for $26.88 and then use 20,000 miles to book 4 round trip flights from Atlantic City to Orlando in December. It cost $5.60 in taxes to book each segment, so $22.40 each way....plus the 26.88 to buy the 1000 miles (the lowest amount they sell) and I just book round trip airfare for 4 for $71.68! Total!

Some warnings and exceptions to anyone looking to take advantage of this......Spirit is VERY clever with their fine print and processes so fully educate yourself. When booking reward flights with these miles, spirit charges a fee.....and the closer the flight, the more the fee. There is no reward redemption fee when you book 180 out and beyond. Once you get inside 180 days the fees start to build and get higher and really make it not worth it. Plus, those 2500 mile flights are rare and practically non existent inside of 180 days. BUT if you play it right, plan ahead, and search the flights online before ever signing up....it can pay off! $71.68 for 4 people comes to $17.92 round trip....Truly a $9 airfare!

Luckyman - you did great!

Maybe some others will profit from your posting.

Congrats on your score!

Just last week I booked our January flights to Orlando. Was able to get the elusive 2,500 mile flights for both down and back. Bought the big seats with the money saved. If you do it right, Spirit can be a huge asset to your budget!

Yes it can....but it isn't for everyone. It does take a little know how to do it right. I understand why many people hate Spirit, but for us....a 2 hour flight.....we are going this star wars weekend for $110 round trip, so it works for us.

Side note.....little known fact....You can save up to $16.99 on a one way flight by driving to the airport and booking at a ticket counter instead of online. There is a little fine print on the website that says "lower fares generally available at the airport". This is what that is about. They build in a "convienence" fee for booking online. If you book at the counter (NOT the day you fly, but well in advance) you can save typically $16.99 on a one way flight. So, when buying 4 round trip tickets .....that $16.99 times 8. Well worth it to take the ride to the airport and book for a $135.92 savings

Congrats - welcome to the world of credit card hacking! It's a huge thrill. It works for other airlines and tons of hotels too :)

I love cheap/free stuff!

I used to love Spirit. I once booked a round trip ticket from Detroit to Atlantic City for 16 cents per leg. The fare was 32 cents per ticket plus about $35 in fees.

I loved it when there credit card included their $9 fare club for free.

Now they are harder to use because of baggage restrictions. Make sure to carry on a small bag (I use a soft sided cooler that is the exact size that the require to not pay for a carry on). Also beware that checked luggage should not be over 40 lbs or there will be added fees. Most other airlines allow 50 lbs.

We use Delta's airline credit card the most since we fly out of Detroit. The platinum card includes a free companion ticket in the continental US and a free checked bag for everyone on the reservation. We board early in zone 1. The perks help make flying a pleasure.

I used to love Spirit. I once booked a round trip ticket from Detroit to Atlantic City for 16 cents per leg. The fare was 32 cents per ticket plus about $35 in fees.

I loved it when there credit card included their $9 fare club for free.

Now they are harder to use because of baggage restrictions. Make sure to carry on a small bag (I use a soft sided cooler that is the exact size that the require to not pay for a carry on). Also beware that checked luggage should not be over 40 lbs or there will be added fees. Most other airlines allow 50 lbs.

We use Delta's airline credit card the most since we fly out of Detroit. The platinum card includes a free companion ticket in the continental US and a free checked bag for everyone on the reservation. We board early in zone 1. The perks help make flying a pleasure.

Thanks for the heads up....but we are Spirit veterans. I don't love or hate them....I just play the game. There actually is a blog all about Spirit sized free bags, if I find it I will post it. Because of the blog, I got these REI bags that are for ski boots and helmets. They are soft, and they are exactly 16 x 14 x 10....Spirit max personal item is 16x14x12. I can get a weeks worth of stuff in there. The catch...I have to buy sunscreen in florida as TSA won't allow it carry on. I'd have to pack a bunch of small tubes, but we like the spray. I'm cheap, but I'll pay a few bucks for the convienent spray.

i forgot to mention another perk with the Spirit Bank of America credit card. Bank of America offers an amazing "Museums on Us" program. The first weekend of the month, you can get into many museums for free just by showing the card. Do a search for the program and check on museums that honor it in your state or where you travel on vacation. In Michigan, it works at the Henry Ford and Meijer Gardens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter