Spinoff - workplace morale

Gumbo4x4

Note to the ladies who forgot to
We actually have pretty good morale here, and I've got a good crew that all get along with each other. Still, I'm always looking for things I can do specifically for the 3 full-timers who work under me. Right now, the biggest things are buying them lunch every few weeks and I'm extremely flexible with their hours, which they all seem to appreciate. We're right off the Missouri River, so I thought maybe I'd invite them & their SO's for a boat ride this Summer and I could get the food & drinks. Not sure if they'd be interested or not.

Any ideas on other things? What do you do for those who report to you to help keep morale up?

Edit: also, what sorts of things does your supervisor do for you?

I do quarterly one on one lunches with my people. They pick where to go and we go have a relaxing lunch. I ask them for what they see that we (management) don't, how can I make their work life better, what is going on in their world... The first 30 minutes of the first time out can be a little quiet, but after that they tend to open up and feel free to give their perspective. For some people it has identified for them that they don't want to participate in the environment and be responsible for input but for others it has deeply invested them in our future.

Other things managers have done over the years... My favorite was when I was given a movie gift card for $25 and told pick a friend in the office and we got to leave and go to the movies. I also loved it when they awarded a two hour lunch for you and a friend. We always worked hard to get the work done so it wasn't hard on our teammates, and it was a huge treat!

I'm a director at a hospital, my departments morale is good but the overall morale of the hospital isn't.

I get my department lunch, doughnuts, I'll run out in the afternoon & grab Blizzards. One day I got everyone a few scratch offs. I also do an employee of the month.

If there's a fund raiser going on in the hospital we participate as a department...right now we're making baskets for Relay for Life. Volunteering together as a department boosts morale.

About every other month we go out with our spouses & do something.

We actually have pretty good morale here, and I've got a good crew that all get along with each other. Still, I'm always looking for things I can do specifically for the 3 full-timers who work under me. Right now, the biggest things are buying them lunch every few weeks and I'm extremely flexible with their hours, which they all seem to appreciate. We're right off the Missouri River, so I thought maybe I'd invite them & their SO's for a boat ride this Summer and I could get the food & drinks. Not sure if they'd be interested or not.

Any ideas on other things? What do you do for those who report to you to help keep morale up?

Edit: also, what sorts of things does your supervisor do for you?

Random small things---candy bars, $5 Starbucks card, Free Redbox movie code

Good feedback to the employee, thank yous (which seem to be in short supply nowadays)

Ask for their input on things

I've been taken to lunch, received company gear (hats/bags/jackets), random small bonus checks.

Best thing was the day my boss came in and told me to take the day off--paid--and he had made an appointment for a spa day for me (company paid for it, too). Came back to work the next day feeling very refreshed and ready to work! (Every manager got a day off with a treat, company paid, that month. One guy got zoo tickets for his family, another who worked nights got movie and restaurant gift cards. Loved that boss to pieces!)

I do bring them lots of candy, but I also eat some of it LOL

I do bring them lots of candy, but I also eat some of it LOL

CHOCOLATE..

I'd love the boat but then Dh & I are sailors.

In my day we held picnics. Ds's place of work gives giftcards periodically. Ddil has been told to expect family cruises! Lucky girl but, she's working near Toronto where some of the real $$ is. :-)

From my own pocket, random gift cards, movie passes, Christmas & birthday cards and gifts.

From department or company funds, scratch-off tickets with prizes ranging from a $10 gift card to a day off with pay. Late spring or early fall picnic at a park. Annual summer "Fun Day," which in the past included a Phillies game, day at Six Flags, etc.

I like to be able to make our own fun without having to have mandatory fun days. We used to have a once-a-year potluck put on by US and they were a hoot. Now that upper management is involved, no one attends any longer. They pretty much let the air out of that balloon.

One time my employer's had a resort spa day for us. We each got to pick two spa treatments that we wanted. They also supplied a great breakfast and dinner there. It was at Rocky Gap. It is beautiful there, situated on a big lake. We spent the whole day there.

October a year ago they took us on a cruise to nowhere. It was GREAT!!!! While on the cruise, we had a scavenger hunt. When we first learned of it, we were not crazy about the idea. But once we got playing the game, everyone had a great time!!!

My son's future father-in-law just switched jobs. 6 employees and the owner. Owner takes them to lunch EVERY day.

I work for a company that is part of a larger corporation.

I remember years ago a boss (not our current one) taking all of us and our spouses to Ruth's Chris for Christmas. Another time we met at a campground over the weekend - fun, and I even won a prize.

Then that started to decline. Less allowed for dinners, random gift certificates disappeared, and the nail in the coffin was the budget for the Christmas dinner.

$15

per couple.

Nobody responded.

Should I mention this is one of the top 300 corporations Worldwide? Let's agree that morale was better in the past.

A former company took annual trips (cruises mostly). I enjoyed them a great deal and it was a good opportunity to bond with coworkers. However, they had an overall negative impact because not everyone could go. Those left behind became very disgruntled. So they ceased. I agreed that they needed to stop unless everyone could participate but you have to keep your business running. They did try setting goals for each employee and if you reached your goals you were on the list to go. But everyone did achieve them so we were back to square one.

My current job is just a fun environment. We laugh a lot, play music, get along. I think that's just the best way to keep a positive environment and keep morale high. If someone is dealing with something difficult in their life, they know they have the support of everyone (including executive management) behind them. And there are random surprises that keep things exciting. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter