Spinoff: What do you to de-stress?

Pea-n-Me

DIS Veteran
We are living in stressful times. :bitelip:

Do you actively find ways to help lower you stress levels? If so, what do you do?

Does it help?

Cooking while listening to a lightweight podcast, like NPR's "Pop Culture Happy Hour" (although even they are obliged to discuss politics lately, which I understand).

Lightweight television shows, and live-tweeting silly observations about them.

Video games occasionally.

Shopping. >.> Not always a reliable source of endorphins but sometimes it works. (Although is it just me or are clothing fashions absolutely hideous every fall/winter lately?)

Sadly I can't really drink as my body just does not like alcohol in any form. I envy people who can come home and have a glass or two of wine after a bad day without feeling terrible later.

My dogs have always helped me de-stress. They are great companions no matter what's going on, put a smile on my face, make me laugh, etc. Yesterday was a beautiful day I had my dog out and when I was watching video of him later, I realized I was laughing a lot at his antics! I have never been without at least one dog in my life.

I like to read and write. This place has been good in that way as I get to do both. I've learned a lot here, and been able to share some stressful times with others going through something similar, or been able to help someone else out with information or support. That makes me feel good. I enjoy low-key's Friday night threads and a good thread about something in the news or a medical or other query.

I do photography for fun. It relaxes me and I enjoy creating great images. I don't always have to have all my camera gear with me, either. Last year I was on my way somewhere on Christmas Day when I was passing a nearby lake at sunset. I pulled over and snapped a quick few shots with my phone. Later, I edited and framed one for the person I was visiting and it made for a nice gift - especially since very similar ones were selling for $150 each in nearby shops.

My family. We enjoy spending time together and always find something fun to do, often involving local travel or events. These days it's a little harder to find time but that makes those times that we do have time, more special.

Cooking is a big one for me. I also will play video games, write, or color in order to get my mind off of things for a little while and just focus on something else.

I envy those of you for whom cooking reduces stress. :laughing:

I agree that pets are very calming - my cats do wonders for my stress level. I also like to DIS or surf Pinterest, scrapbook or do crafty things, watch TV, and occasionally have a glass of wine.

My dog is actually a stress inducer. She's incredibly clingy and stubborn. Always under my feet and up my...behind. I adore her but she's high maintenance and sometimes I need to just escape from her.

My biggest de-stress tool is exercise. It just works for me. If I'm angry/stressed scrubbing the floor on hands and knees or rearranging a room let's me get that frustration out without taking it out on anybody. It's pretty rare that it comes to that though.

Coloring. Digital Scrapbooking. I'd like to say photography but processing makes me nuts which keeps me from shooting as often as I'd like. I used to cross stitch but I can't see anymore. :rotfl:

Mass( prayer) de-stresses me. But crocheting, reading, doing crafty things, zoning out with stupid tv( while my cat snuggles with me), having silly fan-girl conversations with my girls( from Godzilla to Disney :) ) does the trick too.

We are living in stressful times. :bitelip:

Do you actively find ways to help lower you stress levels? If so, what do you do?

Does it help?
I like to spend time with my dog, husband, watch a movie, read, or go for a bike ride! We just got a trampoline so now we've been using that to jump around on too!

Eat. Although I've stopped that for now and I actually feel better!

Read. But the book has to be great.

Then, mainly, binge watch TV.

I do other things known to relieve stress, such as exercise, but I don't find it a stress reliever, consciously.

I was just talking about prolonged stress and heart disease with my father this morning. One theory for heart diseases goes along the lines that stress causes the blood to clot more frequently, potentially leading to a blood clot going to the heart, with that leading to a heart attack. Not good,obviously.

To destress I enjoy doing actives outside such as swimming, going for a walk. Indoors, listening to music while doing chores, and reading a book helps lower stress levels for me.

Last edited:
I listen to music, depending on stress level, Bob Marley is the go to music for worst of stress.

Or deep cleaning, I know it's weird. But if I can take the negativity and turn it into something positive then ...

I like to color or attempt to draw, even before coloring books for grown ups came out: flying stressed me out so I would color in dd's coloring book while she slept, lol.

I spend time with dd and dgd, or dgd only if dd is the vain of my stress, lol

Organize/Clean
Take a bath and read People magazine
Watch fun/lighthearted TV shows or YouTube videos

I listen to music, depending on stress level, Bob Marley is the go to music for worst of stress.

Or deep cleaning, I know it's weird. But if I can take the negativity and turn it into something positive then ...

I like to color or attempt to draw, even before coloring books for grown ups came out: flying stressed me out so I would color in dd's coloring book while she slept, lol.

I spend time with dd and dgd, or dgd only if dd is the vain of my stress, lol .

And our dogs . A few days ago, I had a wicked stomach virus( it was so bad I called out for my df who passed away 12 years ago). But my pup stayed by my side.

Healthy Stress Relievers: Walking with a friend. Cuddling with the dogs. Binge watching some mindless program. And cleaning with my music turned up (a clean house always makes me feel better). Occasionally, a drink or two before bed.

Unhealthy Stress Relievers: Food. And not healthy food. Completely guilty of this one and haven't learned how to control it yet.

Usually I hop on places like DIS or watch t.v.

Working out works well for me because I'm so focused on what I'm doing I don't really think about anything else and I always feel better after. However, that is NOT my first thought of what I want to do when I feel stressed, lol.

Pray.

Go outside for a walk.

Take a shower - seriously, there are some days when I'll take multiple showers. I think something about the sound of the water drowning everything out helps relax & soothe me.

Play Candy Crush Soda or similar games on my laptop - I'm having to focus on something else, but, at the same time, I'm not putting a lot of serious thought into it either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter