Spinal Tap Question

happily single

Left foot first!
A former friend has stated she been in the hospital for 3 days and has had 4 spinal taps. is it just me or does that seem excessive in a 3 day period??

I'm not a medical person, at all, but to me that seems excessive and untrue. I had knee surgery 10ish years ago and got the worst headache for five days afterwards. It was explained that it was called a spinal headache and was caused when a few ml of spinal fluid leaked out when they were trying to get the needle in. I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone..it was excruciating.

Wow, my dad just had one at the ER on Thursday night/Friday morning. I know they made my mom and I leave the room to ensure the most sterile environment possible. So if there is a risk of infection just having two clean, healthy, and hygeinic people sitting across the room from the needle, I would think having it done so many times would be an even higher risk of infection. What would they need to do it more than once for anyway, can't they use the same spinal fluid to test for multiple issues?

TAKEN FROM THE gfm: they did tons of tests in the ER plus 4 spinal taps!! I had a really bad infection in my finger, have been on a lot of strong antibiotics and they did surgery (surgery was done without much notice!!!,

TAKEN FROM THE gfm: they did tons of tests in the ER plus 4 spinal taps!! I had a really bad infection in my finger, have been on a lot of strong antibiotics and they did surgery (surgery was done without much notice!!!,

Ah, it's a Go Fund Me? What was the surgery for, I am thinking of amputation for an infection. Seems a little fishy to have four spinal taps for a finger issue but I am not a dr or a nurse. What do you think, are you suspicious?

Ah, it's a Go Fund Me? What was the surgery for, I am thinking of amputation for an infection. Seems a little fishy to have four spinal taps for a finger issue but I am not a dr or a nurse. What do you think, are you suspicious?

There is actually a thread here about Go Fund Me accounts. I posted a story about her there. And yes, this was included.

There was no amputation of the finger. They just cleared out the infection according to the GFM post

Total fabrication and not a very believable one! There is absolutely no reason that an infection in a finger would require lumbar puncture -- and certainly not multiple times.

You should ask her if they thought she might have syphilis...

I had my one and only spinal tap when they took me to the ER years ago. I had bacterial menengitis the test pointed out. After 5 days in isolation but feeling better they wanted to give me another spinal tap to see how things had progressed. I declined!

I can tell you that my son was recently bit by a dog (7/31), just a small puncture wound on his finger. Within hours his finger swelled up and he required extensive surgery. The dog had bitten to the bone and infection had set in spreading down the palm of his hand. The surgeons had to open his finger in a zig zag all the way to his palm. He was inpatient for a total of 9 days and came home with a picc line in his arm and required 3x a day IV antibiotics for roughly 5 weeks. He did not require a Spinal Tap. He was teetering on losing his finger so I hold very little validity to the story you were fed.

I've had 3 lumbar punctures, but it was over the course of a month. (First was to confirm meningitis, second to place a spinal drain to try to relieve pressure so the CSF leak in my head would heal, third to inject dye to determine where exactly that pesky CSF leak was.) Perhaps they were doing a nerve block for her surgery? Not sure why so many though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter