• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spending Money

Oz-kateer

DIS Veteran
Ok, hard question to answer but Disney veterans may be able to give their opinions.

Would $2000 be enough spending money for 10 days at WDW?

We have ME vouchers, free dining and our resort and park tickets are fully paid for etc, so this would strictly be entertainment funds.

Travelling are myself and my 6 year old son, who is an amusement park veteran in general and up for all the "big rides".

We aren't big spenders generally, and just want to buy trinket souveniers like a few stuffed toys, t-shirts, pins etc. Maybe a watch each as well.

Not really knowing park prices makes it a bit hard - but is $200 a day a realistic budget or should we bring more?

I'll have a credit card for emergencies.

Many thanks for opinions.

$200 a day for souvenirs! WOW! And I thought I liked to shop! I would say that's more than enough, especially given the severe lack of good souvenirs at Disney these days. Have a wonderful time!

WOW I want to come on your trip! I think $2 is more than enough! Im brining almost that much for 7 days but dont really plan on spending that all, I have FD too, but what we dont spend, will be set aside for Christmas, have fun! I have 2 more days!!!

You'll blow through whatever amount you take, really... That should be fine, if all you want is a few things. Remember, you'll need to tip from your spending money, that's not included on the Dining plan.

Umm....I think $2,000 would be more than enough! :) I thought I was bad budgeting $1,000!!! Now I feel better! You should be just fine. We have been to Disney twice before with my two children (each for ten days) and each time we don't come close to spending our alloted $$$.

Hope to see you there!

Thanks! That's made me feel a little better. When you're a long way from home on unfamiliar ground there's nothing worse than running out of money.

I am budgeting $500. There are 5 of us, so $100 each. I am going down with trading pins already bought, pearl cages for the pearl thing in Japan, pennies for pressing, and tshirts made by Disigners (so no tshirts will be bought) So I expect to come home with plenty left over. We will be there in December, so I am buying an ornament for each person as as souvenier, mickey ears are must haves for the girls, ds wants a build-your-own light saber, and the pearl thing. I still don't see spending $500.

We aren't big on souvenirs, so all we brought with us was $200 cash for our last 9 day trip. I ended up putting $180 on my credit card (had used my key to the kingdom card in the parks so it was automatically charged to my credit card) and bringing home $150 of the cash I brought with us.

Like you, we had transportation, tickets and food covered and we aren't big spenders, so we just didn't spend much out of pocket.

We have a family of 4 and i always budget $200 per day of our trip, usualy averages out to $170 per day but i like to be sure i got extra.

Last fall it was my niece and I for a week (she was four). We had DDP so most of our meals were paid for. Not including BBB, tickets for MNSSHP and a rather expensive watch I bought, we spent an additional $400 for the week. I think you'll be fine with $2k.

Ok, hard question to answer but Disney veterans may be able to give their opinions.

Would $2000 be enough spending money for 10 days at WDW?

We have ME vouchers, free dining and our resort and park tickets are fully paid for etc, so this would strictly be entertainment funds.

Travelling are myself and my 6 year old son, who is an amusement park veteran in general and up for all the "big rides".

We aren't big spenders generally, and just want to buy trinket souveniers like a few stuffed toys, t-shirts, pins etc. Maybe a watch each as well.

Not really knowing park prices makes it a bit hard - but is $200 a day a realistic budget or should we bring more?

I'll have a credit card for emergencies.

Many thanks for opinions.

you will be without a doubt, JUST fine. Enjoy the trip!

If you plan on spending 2k on souvenirs for two people, you'll want to bring extra suitcases with you.

To put it in perspective, some people's entire trips don't even cost $2,000. ;)

It is just me and my husband going to WDW on Saturday. We did not get the free dining plan since we are staying on points at one of the villas. We are taking a total of $1,500. Now this is for food, tips (for bell services, mousekeeping, tips at the airport, tips for waiters/waitresses), and souvenirs. I would think that $2000 is more than enough for you and your little one :) Have a great time! :wizard:

$200 per day should be more than adequate (assuming that is also to cover tips, extra snacks/drinks and the like in addition to souvenirs.)

...and do remember to take an extra tote and budget extra luggage costs if you really plan to buy many souvenirs. We rarely buy much...maybe a Disney t-shirt. But a lot of times not even that. We take a lot of pictures to remember our trips instead of buying a lot of stuff.

I think you will be okay. Three of us went down in March with the same amount of money and time, and we were paying for meals. I, like you, want to be prepared and would rather bring too much than not enough!

We're taking $2,000 and we're not on the dining plan. So that is covering our meals, souvies, and anything else for the week. I think that's more than enough for the 3 of us but have "reserves" just in case.

That would be plenty, even if you have to pay tips on sit-downs (if you have the basic DDP.) If you have the Quick Service DDP, you wouldn't even need that much, because you'd have no tips, 2 snacks each, and a refillable mug for extra drinks at the resort.

T-shirts run $20+ to $30 +.
Watches from around $40 (might be some less that I didn't see, but there are some in the hundreds.)
Pins from around $7 to over $10.

Have a great trip!

I, too, think you'll be fine. If this is your first trip with the 2 of you, or you don't go all that often, you'll likely spend a little more than folks who go every year. My mom and I usually budget up to $2k for 10 days, but since we go at least once a year, we haven't been spending nearly that much lately. It's not hard to do, tho! Especially if you're buying gifts for folks back home or a couple collector type pieces. T-shirts/clothes are ridiculously expensive for what they are, but who can resist? And buying "little" things like pins and jewelry adds up fast. As well as those 3.50 bottles of coke :drinking1

Have a wonderful time!!! :mickeyjum

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter