• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

spending money?

Below is the e-mail answer I recieved from DCL. Sombody is not being truthful and there is no way to really know who. Do what you well with the information as for me I will continue to leave additional tips based on service but will consider the 10 dollar fee when I decide what to give. If the servers are not happy with this they need to deal with DCL about it and get them to be truthful. Lois

4/9/07

Dear Lois,

Thank you for your e-mail.

The $10.00 dining fee for Palo includes the gratuity for your server.
If you feel that your service was outstanding, it is entirely up to your
discretion if you would like to give an additional gratuity.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you require further
assistance in planning your visit, please feel free to contact us.

Have a Magical Day!

Angela
Reservations Department
Disney Cruise Vacations

Original Message Follows:
------------------------

Please clear somthing up for me. I have been tol;d that the Tips for
Palo's is the 10.00 dollar and I have been told that only .50c goes for
the tip. I have always given more than the ten dollars but others
states that they don't need to. Just how much of the 10.00 dollar fee
does your server get when dinning at Palo's?

Lois Sergent

I would think that the $10 fee is for the privilege of being in an Adults only restaurant with a fantastic view and a different maybe more exclusive menu (haven't been there i dont know whats on the menu)

i wouldn't have thought the server's tip would or should be included just like the bar tender's tip isn't included in the cost of your beer.

the email that you received back still didn't say how much the server gets just that their tip is included in the $10.

if it were me - I would treat that dining as an extra special dinner and leave an cash tip when we left.

maybe since the servers aren't in the regular rotational restaurants where they would get higher tips they get paid a higher salary?

or maybe they all rotate and each spend one week in each of the restaurants to be fair with the tipping and while one week may be an excellent week with 75% of the guests tipping very well but next week only 50% tip average - my guess is that throughout the season or year it would all work itself. also it would keep the staff from getting bored only working at Palo's and able to work around the ship.

maybe someone who is booking back to back trips could see if that is the case - or someone could ask their server if they also work up in Palos.

Absolutely: inconclusive reply from DCL!

Palo Servers generally will have had to work in the main dining rooms for several contracts before becoming regular members of the Palo team.

Back to the original question: Take plenty of money, and pay your bill daily - in case there are anomalies. Guest Services are very busy on the last day, so its easier to clear your bill in advance. Beware of Bingo and Photos! They will cost you a small fortune! Enjoy your cruise:banana:

Palo staff do not rotate. They don't do the regular rotation. It is actually a promotion to work there, I would think their salaries are more, but not that much more. They are a tipped position, and rely on their tips to complete (or fill) their salaries.

I don't know how much they get of the 10$, as stated we tip more. Perhaps it is the service we have received there, :confused3 , but it has always been amazing..

:goodvibes

I would think that the $10 fee is for the privilege of being in an Adults only restaurant with a fantastic view and a different maybe more exclusive menu (haven't been there i dont know whats on the menu)

i wouldn't have thought the server's tip would or should be included just like the bar tender's tip isn't included in the cost of your beer.

the email that you received back still didn't say how much the server gets just that their tip is included in the $10.

if it were me - I would treat that dining as an extra special dinner and leave an cash tip when we left.

maybe since the servers aren't in the regular rotational restaurants where they would get higher tips they get paid a higher salary?

or maybe they all rotate and each spend one week in each of the restaurants to be fair with the tipping and while one week may be an excellent week with 75% of the guests tipping very well but next week only 50% tip average - my guess is that throughout the season or year it would all work itself. also it would keep the staff from getting bored only working at Palo's and able to work around the ship.

maybe someone who is booking back to back trips could see if that is the case - or someone could ask their server if they also work up in Palos.

I agree the e-mail did not completely answer the question. I have e-mailed and and hope to get a more complete answer. This is nuts. I will just tip on service. Lois

And kurby we think the $10 service charge/gratuity is appropriate for what the cost of the food would be in a land based restaurant. We do not feel guilty by not leaving more than the $10 per person.

No one has provided conclusive proof that the servers in PALO only get a small amount. Only statements that they heard or other third party information.

I know this has turned into a tips @ Palo thread and that's fine but I want to answer the original question...simply because I have an answer. ;)

My DS (8) and I went on the 4night cruise 2 weeks ago and spent $800 on board. Included in that was a $250 spa appointment (I deserved it), CC shore excursions, lots of souveniers, $80 in pictures, and sodas. No alcohol and I spent another $330 in Nassau for the Dolphin Swim on our own.

I figure we'll spend about the same on the 7 night since we won't be doing such an extravagent shore excursion.

Below is the e-mail answer I recieved from DCL. Sombody is not being truthful and there is no way to really know who. Do what you well with the information as for me I will continue to leave additional tips based on service but will consider the 10 dollar fee when I decide what to give. If the servers are not happy with this they need to deal with DCL about it and get them to be truthful. Lois

4/9/07

Dear Lois,

Thank you for your e-mail.

The $10.00 dining fee for Palo includes the gratuity for your server.
If you feel that your service was outstanding, it is entirely up to your
discretion if you would like to give an additional gratuity.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you require further
assistance in planning your visit, please feel free to contact us.

Have a Magical Day!

Angela
Reservations Department
Disney Cruise Vacations

Original Message Follows:
------------------------

Please clear somthing up for me. I have been tol;d that the Tips for
Palo's is the 10.00 dollar and I have been told that only .50c goes for
the tip. I have always given more than the ten dollars but others
states that they don't need to. Just how much of the 10.00 dollar fee
does your server get when dinning at Palo's?

Lois Sergent

That letter is the same one my husband got. He was a bit peeved when he read the thread of people leaving upwards of $50 for a tip at Palo.:scared1: He thought it was ludicrious. So we will tip beyond the $10 per person charge, but we will surely not be leaving $100 like some have stated is acceptable.

That letter is the same one my husband got. He was a bit peeved when he read the thread of people leaving upwards of $50 for a tip at Palo.:scared1: He thought it was ludicrious. So we will tip beyond the $10 per person charge, but we will surely not be leaving $100 like some have stated is acceptable.

Lets face it we each need to tip what we feel is fair. Some have more money to use as tips others just don't have it. I am one who likes to be fair but has to work extra and save every extra dime to afford to vacation with Disney.

This thread began with a question about what the extra cost were and what a family could expect to pay. The tips at Palo is just one small part of that.

To help get this thread back on track I would like to report that we planned on about 2,000 dollars for fun money on our last 7 day cruise for 2 adults and 2 kids. That included what we bought in the gift shops, items we got for family for christmas, a few drinks and snacks, and our shore excusions.

Here's to hoping this puts an end to the debate about how much to tip at Palos. Hope each of you make the most of your vacation and enjoy the magic we all know that is Disney. Lois

If it gets to the point where someone is leaving a $100 tip for a $10 meal, then he/she is doing it more for how it makes himself/herself feel than for the financial benefit of the server. I'm not saying that it's bad (in fact it's great for the recipient!) but this kind of behavior can't be expected of everyone.

May I just respectfully point out that nowhere in this email is actual amount of the tip to the server mentioned. What the email says is that the tip is included, not the amount of the tip to the server.

Tipping is such a personal choice that if someone wants to leave $100 or $5, it should be left only to the person who is tipping. I am sure the person receiving the large tip does not feel it is ludicrious but very a generous bonus.

Just my thoughts...

how much money should we expect to spend on......

tips
wine
beer
shore tours
souvenirs
and any other extras I haven't mentioned?

On our last trip, we spent $1400 for DW, DS6, and me. A ridiculous chunk of that was for bingo. One "six pack" costs $35, multiply that by 3 so the entire family plays, and well, that's $105 for each bingo activity. We played 3 times. Next time, we're only going to play the free family bingo and the jackpot bingo at the end of the cruise. I look back and still can't believe I dumped that much on bingo! It is fun, though, and the danger is it's easy to get in the "hey I'm on a cruise and on vacation" mentality as you swipe away with your Key To The World card!!

May I just respectfully point out that nowhere in this email is actual amount of the tip to the server mentioned. What the email says is that the tip is included, not the amount of the tip to the server.

Tipping is such a personal choice that if someone wants to leave $100 or $5, it should be left only to the person who is tipping. I am sure the person receiving the large tip does not feel it is ludicrious but very a generous bonus.

Just my thoughts...

I totally agree. Tipping is a personal choice most definitely. I just feel the need to clarify that DH didn't feel that it was ludacrious to LEAVE a $100 tip, (heck, if someone has money at thier disposal that they can be that generous, then by all means...) but for those that leave it to expect others to do the same. I do apologize if it was understood differently.

If it gets to the point where someone is leaving a $100 tip for a $10 meal, then he/she is doing it more for how it makes himself/herself feel than for the financial benefit of the server. I'm not saying that it's bad (in fact it's great for the recipient!) but this kind of behavior can't be expected of everyone.

Here I thought I was going to be done with this. Yes you pay 10.00 dollars to eat at Palos but if you look at the food they serve and what those meals would cost stateside I think anyone would be hard pressed to get the meal for under 50.00 dollars a plate and that does not include drinks. I would leave at least a ten dollar tip for a fifty dollar meal. So it is not unreasonable for someone to tip over and above the 10.00 dollar if even if the server get the full ten dollars. The service has always been the best. Again it is up to each individual as to how much you tip when you cruise with Disney. I just hope every one will at least give the basic expectations. I guess at Palos that is the ten dollar fee. Lois

i wasn't meaning this to be a huge debate on tipping at Palo's. just wanted to get an idea on how much money we could realistically expect to spend.

we don't play bingo and aren't really drinkers though I think my husband would buy some of those beer tickets.

tipping is always a hard topic since some feel they pay enough for their dinner (or cruise tickets) so it should include the staff wages while others feel they should leave a small tip and still others feel they should leave a larger one. it's all individual and personal - no one faults anyone (or at least shouldn't) if they do or don't leave one - while some don't make much themselves and save for a month or two to take their kids out once every other month and don't have it in their budget to order appetizers, main course and dessert so maybe the parents go with just the main meal while others don't see the problem walking out with a $200 bill and a $50 tip. personal choice and person situations.

i was hopping for and got an average from all how responded - thank you very much - and it gives us something to realistically aim at when it comes time to save extra money after the $4000 cruise and $2000 air fair for 4 people.

really - i thank everyone who responded here - i'm glad i found this section to ask all my questions so i can be a cruising pro on our very first trip :thumbsup2

i wasn't meaning this to be a huge debate on tipping at Palo's. just wanted to get an idea on how much money we could realistically expect to spend.

we don't play bingo and aren't really drinkers though I think my husband would buy some of those beer tickets.

tipping is always a hard topic since some feel they pay enough for their dinner (or cruise tickets) so it should include the staff wages while others feel they should leave a small tip and still others feel they should leave a larger one. it's all individual and personal - no one faults anyone (or at least shouldn't) if they do or don't leave one - while some don't make much themselves and save for a month or two to take their kids out once every other month and don't have it in their budget to order appetizers, main course and dessert so maybe the parents go with just the main meal while others don't see the problem walking out with a $200 bill and a $50 tip. personal choice and person situations.

i was hopping for and got an average from all how responded - thank you very much - and it gives us something to realistically aim at when it comes time to save extra money after the $4000 cruise and $2000 air fair for 4 people.

really - i thank everyone who responded here - i'm glad i found this section to ask all my questions so i can be a cruising pro on our very first trip :thumbsup2

I ran across this post because, we too, would like to know how much spending money to have at our disposal on our cruise. I actually can't get a very good figure since it seems that most of the individuals who reponded were on a 7 day cruise....we are only going on a 4 day. I think I am going to start a new thread so I can get the information from those that went on the 4 day.

Great question thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter