Spending cash on the cruise

Lainey321

Mouseketeer
I am encouraging my kids to save their money for our cruise in May. I was thinking for the arcade & souvenirs. I will not allow my youngest dd charging privileges so can she use money for other purchases, such as smoothies??

Actually....it is either charging privileges or not....you can't set a limit on kids charging....all or nothing.

You can add an amount of cash to your onboard account and let your kids know what that amount is. you can check your onboard account by getting a printout at any time by going to guest services. I forget if you can check your account from your cabin on the Dream??? Can't remember!!

MJ

You can add an amount of cash to your onboard account and let your kids know what that amount is. you can check your onboard account by getting a printout at any time by going to guest services.

This is what we have done in the past and it has worked well. Had our kids abused it we would have revoked charging privileges, but they have always done fine. They always liked the "grown up" feeling and as a bonus it's a good lesson in keeping track of your spending. :)

Actually....it is either charging privileges or not....you can't set a limit on kids charging....all or nothing.

You can add an amount of cash to your onboard account and let your kids know what that amount is. you can check your onboard account by getting a printout at any time by going to guest services. I forget if you can check your account from your cabin on the Dream??? Can't remember!!

MJ
Yes you can check you account on the Dream.
We weren't able to check from the room last month. Hopefully in the future.
We were able to check our account on the Dream in August.

OP--Another poster gave her children charging privileges and then sat with them every 2 days or so to look at their account. The night or so before they disembarked she had her children pay her with their cash for the things they had charged. Great learning opportunity for kids about how if we charge, we must then pay.

As above, the ship is on a cashless system; everything is billed to the KTTW card. You can take the cash to GS and apply it to her account, but that requires her to have charging and for an adult to sign for financial responsibility for her. There is no way to limit kid charging--they either have it or they don't.

It gets even more complicated--if you book any excursions thru DCL for your child, they will show up on the child's account (even though YOU planned to pay for them. The only way around this is for you to pay off the excursion amount before the child sees it and freaks out over the big amount that she didn't spend.

Kid doesn't need money or charging for the arcade. You can use your KTTW to purchase an arcade card and when it runs out the child needs to see you to get it reloaded. Or go to the arcade when the programming is doing "Invade the Arcade" as all the machines are set to free play then.

Nothing done in the programming has a charge, including things that would be charged at other times. For instance, if they do "Into the Blender" or "smoothie Party," each kid participating at that time gets a free smoothie. If they do "make a t-shirt," they get a free shirt to use. When DD made a picture frame, Captain Mickey came and each kid had a photo taken. They then got the photo free (from the Oceaneer's club, not from Shutters). I don't think they do the picture frame thing any more though.

I have never been, but I read on one of the past voyage navigators (from Oct) that if you want to restrict your child's account to stop by guest services.

Kid doesn't need money or charging for the arcade. You can use your KTTW to purchase an arcade card and when it runs out the child needs to see you to get it reloaded. Or go to the arcade when the programming is doing "Invade the Arcade" as all the machines are set to free play then.

I've been on three Disney cruises and didn't know about "Invade the Arcade"! Thank you! My friend refuses to go on a cruise with me, because he thinks it'll be boring, but I keep telling him that I never have enough time to do everything I want, much less everything that's available!

When you get the print outs from guest services, are the charges itemized by each person's name / KTWC? So you can see what each child (person in the cabin) has charged individually?

soo, my question: DD9 has a birthday in less than 2 weeks. We told family members Disney cards would be a great idea. I had planned to have her KTTW card linked to those. This can't be done?
If there is more than 1 family in a room, can't each have their own cc attached to his or her card?

You can put a limit on a KTTW card. We did it in the past with our daughter's card when she was younger. But I really like your idea of showing them their charges and having them pay you in cash for their purchases.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter