• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spending a day at Ft. Wilderness?

We are Disney locals and I have always wanted to see what Ft. wilderness has to offer non-overnight guests. I have heard they have horse rides and boat and bike rentals. Are there hiking trails?

We are considering spending a day there the week of Thanksgiving when my entire extended family descends upon us for our "Christmas." So, my question is, are these activities actually open to non-overnight guests, and approx what is the cost? Should we do Mickey's backyard BBQ or is that only for staying guests?

My plan would be to also do our annual tour of the deluxe resorts Xmas decorations on this day. As far as details, we would be 7 adults and my 2 kids.

Sent from me.

We are Disney locals and I have always wanted to see what Ft. wilderness has to offer non-overnight guests. I have heard they have horse rides and boat and bike rentals. Are there hiking trails?

We are considering spending a day there the week of Thanksgiving when my entire extended family descends upon us for our "Christmas." So, my question is, are these activities actually open to non-overnight guests, and approx what is the cost? Should we do Mickey's backyard BBQ or is that only for staying guests?

My plan would be to also do our annual tour of the deluxe resorts Xmas decorations on this day. As far as details, we would be 7 adults and my 2 kids.

Sent from me.

I think a day at FW might be a bit much. You can do the Backyard BBQ as long as there is space available and it is offered.

There really aren't hiking trails, just roads to the different campsite areas. There is a one mile path that goes from FW to WL. Horseback riding is only offered at specific times and you must be at least nine years old (I think it was nine, our son did it on his birthday that he was just old enough). There is a fee for the horseback ride.

I was looking into the activities at FW and thought they had a lot to offer. We are going in October so we are thinking about doing a haunted carriage ride and we're doing the hoop dee doo review. I'm not sure if you could spend a whole day there but you could do a round of mini golf or something instead.

I was looking into the activities at FW and thought they had a lot to offer. We are going in October so we are thinking about doing a haunted carriage ride and we're doing the hoop dee doo review. I'm not sure if you could spend a whole day there but you could do a round of mini golf or something instead.

We are local so a "whole day" will be whenever we manage to get up and get everyone breakfast and out the door, to whenever we want to go home. I also thought we would go to the grand to see the gingerbread house on that day.

Sent from me.

It's been 5-6 years since I've been to FW, but there used to be a hiking trail that was accessed from behind the store near the lake. Also at Christmas (but I'm not sure as early as Thanksgiving) a lot of regulars really go all out in decorating their campsite for the holiday. Pony rides used to be offered at the small ranch/petting zoo near where the horses' stables are. The horse-drawn wagon ride could be a good way to see decorated campsites (if there are some). The wagon ride goes throughout the campground (but certainly not up and down every loop/street). The walk from WL to FW is nice too. It's a paved all-purpose trail that comes out at FW right near the stables/ranch/petting zoo. You could park most anywhere along the lake, boat to WL and do the walk over to FW. Leaving FW take a boat back to your car.

Mickey's Backyard BBQ (and the Hoop de Doo Review) are open to anyone - Disney resort guests and off site people.

That said, I'd be very surprised if you can get a reservation at either for 8 (or even 4) people Thanksgiving week at either. You'd have to stalk the reservation site closely. People do cancel 2 days prior (before the credits are pulled/they owe the $10 cancel fee), however, so you could get lucky.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter