• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spend More get More Fastpasses...coming soon to a Disney near You.

EUROPACL

DIS Veteran
http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2007/09/05/new-disney-patent-application-reveals-that-fastpass-for-pay-is-not-far-away.aspx

Spending per guest at hotels can (be used to determine) different hierarchies (for) access to Fastpass. Thus, the more that is spent by a patron, the higher the priority (they will receive) for Fastpass."

Different levels and hierarchies can (then) be applicable at different hotels. Thus, (guests who stay at Disney's) more luxurious hotels can have higher priorities (to the resort's virtual queuing system)."

According to Jim Hill and has been rumored for years Fastpasses are going to a pay more get more use. I'm wondering how some of the budget minded folks and those that see the "magic" of Pop and All Stars are going to feel once they are out spent by those staying on the Monorail and therefor zoom past them while they wait in line? Also for those DVC owners are you going to demand more as you've already paid more?

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2007/09/05/new-disney-patent-application-reveals-that-fastpass-for-pay-is-not-far-away.aspx

According to Jim Hill and has been rumored for years Fastpasses are going to a pay more get more use. I'm wondering how some of the budget minded folks and those that see the "magic" of Pop and All Stars are going to feel once they are out spent by those staying on the Monorail and therefor zoom past them while they wait in line? Also for those DVC owners are you going to demand more as you've already paid more?

Rumored for years is correct.

Disney has had patents on several of those ideas for years, and they've been discussed here before. Did Jim Hill only find out now? He does seem to be getting slow...

Don't forget that Disney doesn't necessarily intend to USE the ideas in the patents. But if anyone ELSE does, they have to pay Disney a license fee or royalty (or fight to get the patent invalidated).

Doesn't mean they won't, either...

Disney has figured out ways to boost occupancy at the low end - wonder if this may be a way to do the same at the high end?

Rumored for years is correct.

Well that will kill it for sure, maybe a quick letter, phone call or survey will put the nail in the coffin...get on it. We all know that Disney will shun any chance at taking something like fastpass and trying to make money off it.

Do you put you fingers in your ears and say "la la la I can't hear you" when you read the parts you don't like or want to hear and answer?

Do you put you fingers in your ears and say "la la la I can't hear you" when you read the parts you don't like or want to hear and answer?

Euro- I believe all she's saying is that other rumors have been floating around for years as well, but we lend them no credence- so why should this be any different?

Euro- I believe all she's saying is that other rumors have been floating around for years as well, but we lend them no credence- so why should this be any different?

Yes I get that...yet the boards are filled with post and post of people posting how great it will be to ride the new Fire Moutain Roller Coaster, and reguardless if you like it or not this has been coming for a long time and is 10x more likley and closer to taking place then the new [Insert great new ride here] at MGM.....

I think it will happen, AND I will be one of the first DVC owners to say we better get more because we pay more! :) :)
Lori

go to a dvc sales and they will give you speciel passes.which are valid for 2-3 days and you get instant FPs there and then if the machines are giving FPs out.used them last week think its 3 per pass per day,they ask how many in your party when you sign up for tour
in our group SIL got 6.they went to sales and we watched there kids at ssr
Paulh

So, putting it plainly, you will be PAYING to get more FP's..... Another typical Disney ploy. Are we sure Ei$ners not pulling the strings from behind the curtains somewhere?

Disney's FastPass entering digital era
Scott Powers | Sentinel Staff Writer
September 6, 2007

Walt Disney World visitors could someday order line-skipping, "FastPass" ride tickets from their cell phones or home computers, and could receive preferential treatment based on the price of their Disney accommodations, using a new technology the resort's parent company is developing.

The technology, which the Walt Disney Co. is seeking to patent, would use central computers to manage distribution of FastPass tickets throughout Disney World's four Central Florida theme parks and at Disneyland in Southern California. Such passes, which shorten the wait for theme-park rides, could be ordered and downloaded through all sorts of wired or wireless digital devices, according to the patent application filed Aug. 30.

FastPass tickets are available from kiosks placed outside popular rides such as Space Mountain in the Magic Kingdom and Soarin' in Epcot.

Disney spokeswoman Kim Prunty said the technology is envisioned for use in connection with all sorts of guest services, such as shopping and dining-room management.

There are no plans to change FastPass, she said.

"They are still in the very early stages of development. There's no telling where the dreams might lead," Prunty said. "We're looking at lots of ways to use interactive technology."

Ride management evolves

Still, most of the 30-page patent application deals with FastPass, spelling out an interactive, digital system in detail.

Among the ideas: How theme-park officials or customers could revise FastPass times via text messages in case something such as poor weather complicates plans.

The wait in line for the more popular Disney rides is typically more than an hour. But people who swing by early can pick up FastPass reservation tickets at a designated kiosk, which lets them return at set times and enter the ride through a shorter line.

The ideas in the patent application are an evolution of Disney's ride-line management, said Dennis Speigel, a private consultant and president of International Theme Park Services.

"It's kind of the digital-age queue line," Speigel said.

Some people -- notably single-day visitors to the giant resort's theme parks -- could be frustrated by some of the ideas in the patent paperwork, however.

'Hierarchies of access'

Disney's application openly suggests that the technology could be used to give preferential treatment to people who spend more money at the resort.

That could mean priority for the best FastPass times would go to people staying in Disney's luxury hotels, followed by those in its moderate hotels, then by those in its budget hotels, then by day visitors.

"Spending per guest at hotels can determine different hierarchies of access to Fastpass," the application states. "Thus, the more that is spent by a patron, the higher the priority can be."

Also, day visitors who send a text message request for a FastPass could have an advantage over people who don't and use a kiosk.

A means test for rides?

"That's really a bad idea," said Arlen Miller of Kissimmee, a Disney enthusiast and past president of the World Chapter of the National Fantasy Fan Club. Apparently, text-message visitors could present a coded Disney ticket or a "Key to the World" pass once they enter the park and go to a ride.

"I don't have a problem with people staying at a resort [hotel] being able to get the reservation. But I resent the fact that someone who's off-property with a cell phone or a PDA can do it and they're not even in the park," Miller said. "That's discrimination against people who aren't as financially fortunate."

There also could be privacy concerns, suggested Jim Hill, founder of JimHillMedia.com, the Disney-watching Internet site that first reported the patent application Wednesday.

The patent application notes that, once someone uses a cell phone or PDA to contact the system, the system could recognize the device and track the person around the park.

Hill wrote in his blog that the intentions behind such a use are likely fairly innocent but would inevitably raise privacy-rights questions.

The application credits three people as co-inventors behind the patent: Disney World's Gregory B. Hale, chief safety officer for all Disney parks and resorts worldwide; Kenneth W. Schweizer, of Disney World's design-and-engineering team; and Jonathan Ackley, of Walt Disney Imagineering in Glendale, Calif.

Prunty said safety and security issues are among those that must be explored before any system could be set up.

Scott Powers can be reached at spowers@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5441.

I'm a bit confused...how would it be a 'Disney idea' to charge money for fast passes?

Univeral already does this - you can pay for entry into the parks and then pay up to $56 for a two park/one day express plus pass.

Pure money grab - plain and simple. We went last October and watched people buying these things, then walked on most rides just like they did due to the low crowds.

I am really hoping that WDW does not go towards these pay-for-pass or a scaled pass based on where you are staying (and I'm DVC so it wouldn't be because I'm staying off site or in the values)... I really don't think it's fair to the majority of families that go to Disney.

Implementing such a system could be extremely short sighted as well... The majority of families that go to Disney stay either off site or in value resorts to save money. Limiting their access to the rides by reducing/removing their rights to the fast passes could lead many families to feel excluded or looked down upon. The fact that they couldn't get on as many rides and had to wait in massive 'stand-by' lines might lead them to decide Disney isn't really for them. Reports of such things could lead other families to reconsider their vacation choices.

JMHO...

I'm a bit confused...how would it be a 'Disney idea' to charge money for fast passes?

Univeral already does this - you can pay for entry into the parks and then pay up to $56 for a two park/one day express plus pass.

Pure money grab - plain and simple. We went last October and watched people buying these things, then walked on most rides just like they did due to the low crowds.

I am really hoping that WDW does not go towards these pay-for-pass or a scaled pass based on where you are staying (and I'm DVC so it wouldn't be because I'm staying off site or in the values)... I really don't think it's fair to the majority of families that go to Disney.

Implementing such a system could be extremely short sighted as well... The majority of families that go to Disney stay either off site or in value resorts to save money. Limiting their access to the rides by reducing/removing their rights to the fast passes could lead many families to feel excluded or looked down upon. The fact that they couldn't get on as many rides and had to wait in massive 'stand-by' lines might lead them to decide Disney isn't really for them. Reports of such things could lead other families to reconsider their vacation choices.

JMHO...

I agree. As a budget-minded person, I would certainly reconsider.

After my first experience last summer with the Universal FOTL pass we had as a result of staying onsite, I would gladly pay for that kind of access at WDW. I hope DVC members get something from it because I have invested a tidy sum with them, but I'd still pay or choose Deluxe resorts more often if it meant that kind of access, if DVC resorts weren't in the top category. I was totally in love with how much difference it made to our vacation!!

That's absolutely HORRIBLE. We stay at Deluxe's everytime we go and I still think this is a terrible idea. One of the things I love most about Disney is that they aren't like other theme parks (ie front of the line passes at Universal and flash passes at GA). They haven't separated the different classes because it seems they've always wanted everyone to have the same treatment. This would be a major change in the way I view them and I can't help but feel that Walt himself would be deeply disappointed. Was it not him who said this is to be for everyone, not just the elite (in so many words).

I think this would also be bad for locals who don't even stay at the resorts. But a CM friend has told me of a new system where they will scan by AP every time I but something, basically another 'rewards' deal where you can get points towards somthing. I've also heard that the passes may go from regular paper tickets to hard plastic like a credit card with your picture on it.

For the life of me, I can't see anything wrong with this. In fact, I really like the idea. If you have a problem with this, do you also have a problem with concierge guests getting exclusive access to the concierge lounge and IPO? You pay more, you get more; that is a problem...how?

For the life of me, I can't see anything wrong with this. In fact, I really like the idea. If you have a problem with this, do you also have a problem with concierge guests getting exclusive access to the concierge lounge and IPO? You pay more, you get more; that is a problem...how?

Concierge guests get more perks at the hotel, because their hotel was more expensive. So this is not a problem.
Everyone pays exactly the same to get into the park.

Imagine: You book room only at GF, and I book room only at POP. You pay more than I do for the stay, so you get more perks => logic. You go to ticket boot and buy park hopper. I go to same ticket boot and buy a park hopper. We both pay exactly the same to get IN the parks. Then why should you have more perks IN the park? Because of some external factor? I mean, once in the park, the factor of where you spend the night shouldn't matter.
It is just not logic.

I guess they could even take it as far as giving people who pay rack rate for e.g. GF more FPs as people who got a discount, because basically, the ones without discount paid more.

Concierge guests get more perks at the hotel, because their hotel was more expensive. So this is not a problem.
Everyone pays exactly the same to get into the park.

Imagine: You book room only at GF, and I book room only at POP. You pay more than I do for the stay, so you get more perks => logic. You go to ticket boot and buy park hopper. I go to same ticket boot and buy a park hopper. We both pay exactly the same to get IN the parks. Then why should you have more perks IN the park? Because of some external factor? I mean, once in the park, the factor of where you spend the night shouldn't matter.
It is just not logic.

I guess they could even take it as far as giving people who pay rack rate for e.g. GF more FPs as people who got a discount, because basically, the ones without discount paid more.

But Disney already offers park perks to hotel guests. On-site accommodations cost the same (or are even more expensive if you get a discounted package) than off-site guests, yet only on-site guests get extra magic hours. That seems reasonable to me.

You pay more, you get more; that is a problem...how?
But it's the same "perk" - I don't get an 'Extra Magic Hour plus 90 Minutes' because I'm staying at the Grand Floridian, nor do I get just the fifteen minutes because I'm staying at the Pop.

All guests are supposed to be treated equally once they enter the parks. End of story. No one was supposed to be more "special" than anyone else. That made Disneyland unique (especially in the 1950s).

But greed - both on Disney's part and on the part of the "I'm special because I Buy The Brand" crowd is eroding that. To a large section of the public, Disney is already a bad value -having to pay more just to be treated as "slightly above scum" is going to be way too much for a lot of the country.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter