Spencer's August Make a Wish Trip

mdfalls

Spencer's Make A Wish Trip!!!
Make A Wish contacted us today and it looks like our son will be going to Disneyworld sometime in August! He is 8 years old and has Duchenne's Muscular Dystrophy. We will be traveling with 2 adults and four children, and cannot wait!!! We are hoping to stay at GKTW, and they should call us back this afternoon or tomorrow to give us dates. We are so excited! Is there anything we should know about a wish trip to disney? I'm also wondering if GKTW gives you legoland tickets, because I have heard some say that they do, and I think my son would LOVE that. Any comments are appreciated!pixiedust:

Hello!:wave2:
We are waiting to here from our wish granters soon - they will be meeting my wish boy, Matthew, sometime this week or next to officially hear his wish. I can't wait to read your story. I hope y'all have a blast! And yes, I have heard they have Legoland tickets as well - if not free, then cheap!:thumbsup2

I didn't think this post showed up and I started a new one...with more info than this one has. We are excited...three more weeks. Did you start a trip report? I would love to follow you guys. I will post more information about our trip as we get it on our other link (since I put more on that one already.) It should come up under spencer and make a wish if you search. I'm new to posting but I've been reading these boards for a long time so hopefully I can figure it out and get everything posted ok. :-) We are super excited!!!

Make A Wish contacted us today and it looks like our son will be going to Disneyworld sometime in August! He is 8 years old and has Duchenne's Muscular Dystrophy. We will be traveling with 2 adults and four children, and cannot wait!!! We are hoping to stay at GKTW, and they should call us back this afternoon or tomorrow to give us dates. We are so excited! Is there anything we should know about a wish trip to disney? I'm also wondering if GKTW gives you legoland tickets, because I have heard some say that they do, and I think my son would LOVE that. Any comments are appreciated!pixiedust:

Yes, GKTW does have tickets to Legoland. You just have to ask for them at the front desk.

I believe we have decided not to do legoland. However we may try to get into the Pirates Dinner theatre, and do the Swamp boat tour, and Aquatica....which I've been told GKTW has tickets for. (you have to pay 50% on the pirate tickets, other than the wish child which is free.) We are going to be there 7 days, 6 nights and want to make sure we leave time for disney, and seaworld. All of our kids also want to see The wizarding world of Harry Potter at night. So I think we are going to try to stay with just a few things outside of the disney/universal/seaworld experience.

It looks like our flight lands in Orlando on a Wednesday Morning at 11:30am. We should have plenty of time to get checked in, visit walmart, and be ready for orientation that night.

My husband wants to try to do Seaworld the next day, because that is what we think our son will enjoy the most...I'm not sure that I want to do the favored event on the first day! I do plan to make "dine with shamu" reservations before we go down, so it may come down to what day we can get in for that. I know we want to get to seaworld by 9am, so that the kids can feed the dolphins. I think Spencer will be over the moon about feeding a dolphin!

After that, we are clueless. It's not our first trip to Orlando, so we're going to let the kids (mostly spencer, but throwing in some things the others are intersted in too....although spencer loves it all.) throw out ideas and see where to go from there. I know we want to catch the Halloween Party on Monday night at GKTW, and Santa's visit. I also hear the Princess and Pirates Party is amazing, but I don't know if they still do that one? Does anyone know if we need to take costumes for the Halloween party?

A little about Spencer. He is 8 years old with Duchenne's Muscular Dystrophy and some mental retardation. When I married his dad a year ago, spencer barely talked, ate very pickily, and wasn't potty trained. Now he eats like a horse, has been potty trained for going on two months now (completely! wooo hooo! big accomplishment for us!), and has a hearty appetite. He isn't in a wheelchair yet but walks slow and sometimes falls. (and has a pronounced limp.) He speaks in complete sentences now, but they are usually simple. ("I want that one." "It's gonna rain." "That's mama's." etc...) He is super excited about Seaworld, because he's never been and he LOVES water, sharks,dolphins,and whales. He also loves Cars and Buzzlightyear. He wants to try Butterbeer at The wizarding world of harry potter because he's been told it's good and he thinks it is the real deal. (LOL.) He was four when his mom passed away from breast cancer, and doesn't seem to remember her. (With his condition, it's likely that he doesn't.) So in his mind our blended family is his whole family and he treats everyone with 100% acceptance and love. He just lost his two front teeth and he thinks it's weird that they are growing back. (although he seemed to think it was fine that they fell out!) He loves to go to the pool. He loves a good action movie. He also loves to sleep and if 9pm rolls around he will let you know he is ready for bed. He's just a cool kid. We enjoy our lives with Spencer. He's amazing.

I'm trying to learn how to use this site so my posts have been short and I thought I'd add some information on our family. (I have been reading the disboards for ages, and even used them to plan our last disney vacation) but posting is alot harder for me, so bare with me! I was going to use my other link but it seems like everyone is responding here, so I'm going to go with this one. I posted this on the other link but transfering it here....

We are a family of 7. A blended family I should add. A year ago I married my next door neighbor. We lived beside each other growing up from the time we were 5 years old. :-) My husband's late wife passed away due to breast cancer four years ago and he has two children of his own. Madi who is 12, and Spencer who is 8, with Duchenne's Muscular Dystrophy. This is Spencer's wish.

I have three children. Morgan who is 17 and graduating high school two days before our trip..and one year earlier than schedule! Madison (a boy) who is 13, and a cancer SURVIVOR. (He was then 2.) And Aspen who is 11.

We live in Virginia Beach with our dog Hannah (a cocker spaniel) and two cats...mia and sophie...and can't wait to go on the wish trip. 3 weeks left until we leave!!!!

We got mail today confirming our stay with GKTW, and I want to post a photo of the the brochure but I can't figure out how!!! help!

We got mail today confirming our stay with GKTW, and I want to post a photo of the the brochure but I can't figure out how!!! help!

Yay on the confirmation!:cool1:
As for the photo, you can scan it into a computer, save it at photobucket and the copy and paste here using the small graphic link at the top of where you are writing a post. It's in the bottom row, third from the end - looks like an old school floppy disk. Does that help - I'm not very technology savy...:confused3

wishtripmail.jpg
[/IMG]

I think I may have figured it out. Here's to hoping this works! We got this brochure in the mail today. It has packing lists, what to do when you get to the airport, etc...and contact for GKTW when you get to the airport if you don't see your greeter. Our first trip mail! (aside of the mail from MAW when Spencer was originally wishing.) Not much longer now!

Awesome!!!! :)

I am so excited for you guys!

You will have a great time on your special trip!

Thanks Maroo! We are super excited too!

I'm wondering if any of you guys have tried these places to eat and can give me a review on them:

Pirate Adventure Dinner Theatre (a top choice)

Dine with Shamu (seaworld) ..something we really want to do.

Ohana for breakfast.

Sci-fi

Margaritaville in CityWalk.

I don't know how much MAW will give us as far as spending, so we may not be able to do them all. We definitely want to do Dine with Shamu for spencer, so I plan to book that with our own money beforehand. I'd love to hear about the others. Also, if anyone has eaten at any place they just thought was spectacular please let me know! I thought about chef mickeys but it would cost us $500 to eat there and I just think we will have to pass on that one!

Just wanted to take a moment to let everyone know that I found this great site called Inspiration through Art....on the wish trippers thread. It has a different name on there, but i still was able to find it. They do free photo sessions for the kids and are going to be able to do a session for us while we are at GKTW! I can't wait!

http://www.inspirationthroughart.org/

You have to complete an application but it's fairly easy. :)

Testing to see if I managed to create a signature. I can't figure out how to link it to this thread though. (help?) I even read the signature thread on the wish trippers thread and I'm still lost on how to do that!

I have a question for someone who flies more than i do....

Spencer has to take Steriod for his muscular dystrophy every day...my problem and question as far as flying goes is this: We order these steriods from overseas. They aren't sold in the USA. His doctor still has to write a prescription, which we fax to the company and they fill it as any other prescription would be and mail it to us. But when it comes, it does NOT have a label on it. Nothing. Just the medicine in a box...clearly identified as to what the med is etc...the box is the pharmacutical box it comes in. However there is no RX label with spencers name, prescribing doctor etc... We do still have the prescription (because we fax it).

My real question is: I know trying to get this carried on the plane with the other meds WILL be a hassel. Would it be a problem for me to just pack it in the suitcase with checked bags? I know I run the risk of the bag getting lost, but that seems a better risk than getting to the airport and running the risk of them not letting us take it at all, and our bags are already checked at that point.

Has anyone else had an issue like this? I will post this on the wish trippers thread too just so that more see it, in case someone has an answer.

Testing to see if I managed to create a signature. I can't figure out how to link it to this thread though. (help?) I even read the signature thread on the wish trippers thread and I'm still lost on how to do that!

You did it! Hurray! :cheer2: I know I had my own private celebration party when I made mine too;)

I'm wondering if any of you guys have tried these places to eat and can give me a review on them:

Pirate Adventure Dinner Theatre (a top choice)

Dine with Shamu (seaworld) ..something we really want to do.

Ohana for breakfast.

Sci-fi

Margaritaville in CityWalk.

I have eaten at Sci-fi - the food is alright. Not great, not bad - I think if you choose that it is more for the "drive-in" experience. We will do it again now that we have two boys that love cars.:drive:

I have eaten at a Margartaville before, but not in Orlando. The one I went to was pricey and VERY loud and crowded. Food was standard, and I would probably not go back. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't worth the price to me.

Don't know about the others though - the Shamu one would be TONS of fun...literally. hee hee.:lmao:

Spencer just came out of his room with this hat on. When I started laughing and asked if he was ready to go to Disneyworld, he responded with "It's a bye-bye!"

spencermickeyhat.jpg

Not much longer little man!!

Loving my signature banner that I just made at myvacationcountdown.com!

I didn't eat at the other places you listed on our daughter's wish trip, but we did eat at Margarittaville and it was my favorite meal of the entire trip! LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter