Spelling Issues

I don't get concerned by typos but where people use the wrong word, even if it is a synonym, then I find it irritating and will sometimes point it out. How can you learn if nobody corrects your mistakes?

In the example above, "your" should be "you're" in order to make any sense.
The other day someone used "phase" when the meant "faze".
People spell "due" as "do" which probably imitates their accent.
I often see "queue" spelt as "que" or "cue".
South of the "border" is not a "boarder".
A "moot" point is not a "mute" point.
"Woe" is me is not "whoa" is me.

If people don't appreciate a friendly reminder then fine, so be it.
As to why this seems to be on the increase I wonder if the fall in reading is causing the problem as people use words in writing that they have never read but only heard?

ford family

Yeah ok.. do you feel better now ;-)

:confused3
It's not something I notice too much on a message board; if someone's post title is off or they've misspelled a word several times, I might mention it.

It's funny you said that because what prompted me to start this thread was I was reading several responses from this one poster who repeatedly misspelled the same word. (This poster was being rude also by the way). And I simply mentioned something about their spelling skills and I got a warning from the moderator. Have you ever received a warning for mentioning spelling? I wonder if that person got a warning for being rude since I got one for mentioning spelling.....:confused3

I've received points for things others get away with. It happens.

Accidents happen, too. I once got an email from an English professor with "know" instead of "no".

I agree with you. Hope you don't mind that I am pointing out improper use of the word "spelt."

Are you sure? What would you suggest?
Maybe it is a UK/US difference but "spelt" is a perfectly normal alternative to "spelled".
From the Cambidge Dictionary (www.dictionary.cambridge.org)

spell (FORM WORDS) Show phonetics
verb [I or T] spelled or UK AND AUSTRALIAN ENGLISH ALSO spelt, spelled or UK AND AUSTRALIAN ENGLISH ALSO spelt
to form a word or words with the letters in the correct order

ford family

Oh that is definitely not me! :laughing: I don't think I have been a member of the disboard long enough to be considered a cyber bully. Come to think of it, I don't think I have enough experience on the internet to be considered anything. Can I pass the shoes?:flower3:

Yes you can pass them on....:love: Welcome to Disboards. Since you’re new to the Internet you are going to learn a lot of abbreviations and acronyms. So many, your brain will go in overdrive. This discussion board even has its own language.

two things I noticed last night:

plummer does not equal plumber.

close, when discussing what you wear, does not equal clothes.

Yes, I feel much better now.

I went back and read my OP to make sure I didn't sound "judgemental" when I asked the question "Are we becoming so dependent on spell check that we are losing our spelling skills?" and I don't feel that I am being judgemental. I also posted the question of whether or not texting may have something to do with it. :rolleyes1

You spelled "judgmental" wrong in all your posts. Just saying.....

I have noticed words like "coming" and "schedule" spelled "comming" and "schedual". And some are part of peoples' signatures!

I know exactly which signature you are talking about, because that person pm'd me to tell me off about something. I could not even take it seriously because of that one word.
The misspelled words don't really bother me, unless someone is trying to contradict someone else by attempting to sound more intelligent. Then I just have to laugh.

But I just keep my mouth shut, because they are probably better at math than I am.:laughing:

Bad spelling is a pet peeve of mine however I try not to point it out. One of my biggest peeves is when people say should of or could of instead of should've or could've.

spellarz.png

:lmao:

Me aint gotz no probim wid bad spellin on da DizBords!:goodvibes

However when I get a email from the CEO at work with 5 typos:rolleyes1 .....thats anudda story!:eek:

I'm an English teacher. I take off points for it, but sometimes, and I'll tell kids this (upper level high school and freshman college level), their desire for perfection in punctuation and spelling can actually get in the way of their thought process and their writer's voice. That doesn't mean it's not important. It simply means they have to go back and fix it, or better yet, get a friend to help, because as someone has pointed out, we often don't see our own mistakes. We aren't making them on purpose!

Yes you can pass them on....:love: Welcome to Disboards. Since you’re new to the Internet you are going to learn a lot of abbreviations and acronyms. So many, your brain will go in overdrive. This discussion board even has its own language.

Believe me, I know. I have already seen so many acronyms I can't even tell you. I find myself sitting there trying to decipher what they mean and hope I am getting it right. I think the first one that really made me sit there and think was "JMHO". I can not tell you how long I sat there and tried to figure out what that meant. :scared1:

I'm an English teacher. I take off points for it, but sometimes, and I'll tell kids this (upper level high school and freshman college level), their desire for perfection in punctuation and spelling can actually get in the way of their thought process and their writer's voice. That doesn't mean it's not important. It simply means they have to go back and fix it, or better yet, get a friend to help, because as someone has pointed out, we often don't see our own mistakes. We aren't making them on purpose!

I agree with you 100%. When we are writing, the focus should be on the content and not on the mechanics. However, spelling becomes an issue when it is distracting to the reader. Maybe I am more easily distracted by the misspellings of certain words like some of the other posters. Or maybe I was so aggravated by the poster who inspired me to start this thread that I noticed every misspelled word they wrote. :confused3

Or maybe I was so aggravated by the poster who inspired me to start this thread that I noticed every misspelled word they wrote. :confused3

I think you hit the nail on the head. I have OCD and the spelling errors do distract me somewhat, but I agree with many on here: This is a message board, not the SATs. :thumbsup2

But when someone writes a post blasting me, questioning my intelligence, or otherwise talking down to me, and every other word is spelled wrong (not typos, but seriously misspelled words) or they use words incorrectly....yipes. It really burns my bum. I think the spelling would have bothered you far less if the poster hadn't been aggravating you. :thumbsup2

And IMHO---The word YOU will be lost forever, replaced by "U" -based entirely on text messaging. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter