Speed Boat Rentals

twe1vestone2

Mouseketeer
Hi!

I've always wanted to rent the little 2 man speed boats, but never have. Is it worth it?? Where is the best place to rent from?? I know they do it at beach club, poly, grand, dtd, wilderness. Where are u getting the most for your time? I would think its the grand/poly/wilderness cuz of how big the 7 seas lagoon is but I would also think that there are plenty of areas off limits there because of all the ferry traffic. Anybody know or have a link to more info?? Thanks!

Also, are they fun at all?? As in, did Disney turn the speed all the way down to 2mph? I've never seen anybody out in them, which kinda leads me to think its pretty lame Lol

We love them and rent them almost every trip. We prefer renting them at the Contemporary because of the location. We usually get the hang of driving the boats closer to the resort before heading out to the larger part of the lagoon. Seeing the resorts from the water is cool and there are other neat things like the water bridge, shoe tree and watching people experiencing a Sammy Duvall activity at a safe distance is always fun. The first time we rented we had a bit of sticker shock but we think it's worth every time and we get two. DD chooses who she wants to ride with and off you go! I highly recommend it.

We prefer renting them at the Contemporary because of the location.

There's another good reason to rent there or at any of the MK-area resort's marinas (Contemporary, Poly, Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, Ft. Wilderness.)

All the guest-rental boats at WDW are relatively slow.
They are all regulated that way.

But, the Sea Raycers (little speed boats) rented at DTD, Caribbean Beach, Boardwalk, etc. are pre-set to run very slowly (smaller area in which to run.)

However, the fastest Sea Raycers are from the marinas that I mentioned earlier... from the MK area resorts.

This is so much fun. You definitely have to choose MK resort area for the views and the ability to explore the lake! Exploring the Sassagoula River just doesn't have the same appeal;). Although I would recommend exploring it by carriage ride at night!

This is so much fun. You definitely have to choose MK resort area for the views and the ability to explore the lake! Exploring the Sassagoula River just doesn't have the same appeal;). Although I would recommend exploring it by carriage ride at night!

Or, just ride one of the shuttle boats between DTD and one of the resorts along that waterway. :thumbsup2

There's another good reason to rent there or at any of the MK-area resort's marinas (Contemporary, Poly, Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, Ft. Wilderness.)

All the guest-rental boats at WDW are relatively slow.
They are all regulated that way.

But, the Sea Raycers (little speed boats) rented at DTD, Caribbean Beach, Boardwalk, etc. are pre-set to run very slowly (smaller area in which to run.)

However, the fastest Sea Raycers are from the marinas that I mentioned earlier... from the MK area resorts.

I know there all supposed to governed to about the same speed, though we rented a boat a the Poly and it was incredible slow. We stayed out about 5 minutes and returned it. They gave us a different one with no problem at all and it was much faster. Sometimes it's a boat to boat thing on speed.

DS and I rented a speedboat from the Contemorary, since we could do both Bay Lake and the Lagoon in front of MK. He drove and was 14 at the time.

All they tell you is stay out of the way of the ferries and WDW boats and to give them right of way.

We had fun and would definitely do it again. :thumbsup2

I know there all supposed to governed to about the same speed, though we rented a boat a the Poly and it was incredible slow. We stayed out about 5 minutes and returned it. They gave us a different one with no problem at all and it was much faster. Sometimes it's a boat to boat thing on speed.

Sounds like you got a'hold of Ol' Bessie.

Glad you returned her sorry hull to the marina and got a speedier boat!

So there's no regulations in the mk lake as to not being able to go a certain way because of high ferry traffic or whatever else?

So there's no regulations in the mk lake as to not being able to go a certain way because of high ferry traffic or whatever else?

You must keep away from the major docks at MK and TTC (there are signs.)
Guests should run at "idle speed" across the Water Bridge (there are "No Wake Zone" signs) between Bay LAke and 7 Seas Lagoon and stay away from the far North end of Bay Lake when there is other fast full-size sport-boat activity happening.

That still leaves a LOT of 2 lakes to circumnavigate, mostly at FULL-THROTTLE! ;)

Ahh. So MK it is! Now for the last question: which is the best dock to rent from in MK?? I would assume renting at wilderness is least favored since it might take a while to get to the lagoon.

Thanks for all the answers!:thumbsup2

I would assume renting at wilderness is least favored since it might take a while to get to the lagoon.

Since we go "everywhere" (that's interesting to see, anyway) on both lakes, it simply doesn't mater from which resort you rent.

WL's marina is not as far from the Water Bridge (to 7 Seas Lagoon) as FtW's marina, but Contemporary's is not a lot closer to the Water Bridge than WL's, as the Contemporary has a major dock that sticks very far into Bay Lake and the rental area is on the opposite side of that from the Water Bridge.

We have rented from EACH and ALL of the MK-area marina's over the years (I'll bet many have not done that) and I can say that we enjoyed each experience.

In fact, the first two times we rented these little boats, we chose to rent at Ft Wilderness.
And these were the experiences that sold us on the little boats from then on.

Pick a marina, rent a boat, and have fun!

Is the water bridge just the water area that goes under the monorail? Similar to the boat path that goes between MK and WL/Contemp?

How long to rent them for? Is there an age that is too young in your opinion?

...have to share that renting these babies (or actually their less bouyant predecessers) was one of my favorite memories from a 1997 trip. My cousin sank one by the dock at the contemporary. I remember my dad pulling my 12 year old cousin out of the bay and on to the dock. We were all laughing waay too hard, and must have been up to no good.

This has been on our 'to do' list for the last several trips, but we just keep running out of time. We'll be at BLT this time, and again, hope to get into the water....although the tubing and/or water skiing is tempting as well...

Robo...do you have a map of the approved area of Bay Lake?

Is the water bridge just the water area that goes under the monorail? Similar to the boat path that goes between MK and WL/Contemp?

How long to rent them for? Is there an age that is too young in your opinion?

...have to share that renting these babies (or actually their less bouyant predecessers) was one of my favorite memories from a 1997 trip. My cousin sank one by the dock at the contemporary. I remember my dad pulling my 12 year old cousin out of the bay and on to the dock. We were all laughing waay too hard, and must have been up to no good.

This has been on our 'to do' list for the last several trips, but we just keep running out of time. We'll be at BLT this time, and again, hope to get into the water....although the tubing and/or water skiing is tempting as well...

Robo...do you have a map of the approved area of Bay Lake?

It is that short waterway connecting Seven Seas Lagoon with Bay Lake just south of the Contemporary. I don't know what you mean by "boat path", but I think that sounds like the water bridge.

Since you'll be staying at BLT, you'll want to rent at the Contemporary. We usually rent at WL so we can walk through the grounds. The best section to ride in, in my opinion, is the lake right outside BLT. There is not as much traffic, no worries about the big ferry and you can just keep zipping around. It takes a lot of time to move between lakes because of the no wake area crossing the road (water bridge). The only section I remember being off limits is the area to the left of BLT where they do para sailing.

We usually rent them for 30 min, you can also do one hour, I'm sure you can go as long as you want. They seem to be able to adjust your time/cost if needed.

I love them, if I get a fast one.

The water bridge is the bit that connects natural Bay Lake and man-made Seven Seas Lagoon. It's a bridge not only because of the connection, but because it is a bridge over World Drive. That's right, the road goes beneath the water.

The water bridge is the bit that connects natural Bay Lake and man-made Seven Seas Lagoon. It's a bridge not only because of the connection, but because it is a bridge over World Drive. That's right, the road goes beneath the water.

I've always been intrigued by these, and they're apparently not common at all--though there is another outside the IG at Epcot.

MK-Area-2Lakes-5Resorts.jpg

MK-GF-Inlet_092709.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter