Spectromagic just a little creepy??

Originally posted by Hollymom1229
I've always thought the dolls were creepy, but I do love the parade on the whole. It will still never beat the Electric Light Parade for me though.

Definately not. Why did they have to do away with the Main Street Electrical parade? It was so much better. :(

And soooo unrelated to Disney. . that I can tell! :eek:

~*~JKanownik--went to that website (at my office computer) and downloaded the music! I forgot how great it was. . .I was almost bawling, believe it or not! Only thing that stopped me was that my h was there! <snicker>

Gotta get the sound on my home computer so my kids can hear it! :D

Originally posted by blowinbubbles
First, those spinning doll-faced things at the very beginning,

Thank you! I've thought they were creepy for years! LOL In fact, one year I was watching it and a little girl kept saying, "SCARY DOLLS, SCARY DOLLS!". :teeth:

The "creepy dolls" are known as the "Spectro Sprites".
They were designed just for the Spectromagic Parade and they have illuminated doll faces that are in keeping with the lighted parade floats and so you can SEE them in the dark w/o needing extra spotlights.

They ARE unusual-looking... but if we consider all the strange "faces" that many popular dolls have (Trolls, Cabbage Patch Kids, etc.) and all the ceremonial "faces" that are traditional around the world (Kabuki, African Masks, even CLOWN faces) I don't think that I'm particularly offended or even Creeped-Out by these simple glowing masks.

Now, if I saw an illuminated Michael Jackson face in the parade... CREEEE-PEEEE!

Our 21 year old daughter agrees with blowinbubbles. She thinks that the Spectro Sprites are a tad too reminiscent of our friend 'Chuckie' from the 'Childs Play' series of slasher flicks. I kinda like 'em, myself.;)

They are called SpectroMen and they simply herald the beginning of the parade. Think of them as a futuristic marching band (the trumpet float especially) leading the parade down the route. Listen closely to the opening music and dialogue (especially the words you hear from the SpectroMen floats specifically) and you'll get their meaning... they are just fun little characters who proudly present the parade to their guests every night.
-AP

Hmm, thanks for the insight, Robo and Apnic! :D I will have to listen to the music again. It's probably something I would need to listen to a couple of times anyway. . first time seeing the parade I was so overstimulated with sights and sounds, that I missed the words!

Now, to get my sound fixed on my home computer so my kids can hear the music! :D

Thanks,

I never thought of it this way - find it quite beautiful and benign as well

thanks
jaysue

I really like those creepy lit faced people . . .:earseek: ::yes:: My favorite one is the one that sits up by the Spectromagic sign and does his/her gestures towards the lit sign.

But you aren't alone . . .my DS thought they were "evil":earseek:

Spectromagic is my favorite!:teeth:

Originally posted by tink2
I like Spectro. The only thing I think is creepy is the dragon and flying horses from Fantasia. DD4 cried the rest of the parade after that float! We saw it twice on our last trip and it wasn't in there the second night- I hear the dragon sometimes has problems. Anyway, DD enjoyed it much more without it!!! I wish they would take it out completely!

This is our favorite part, I would hate to see them remove it. I am not sure what you are referring to as a dragon. Chernabog from Bald Mountain in Fantasia is the Devil.

Sammie- Chernabog is who I meant. I didn't know he was the Devil- haven't seen all of Fantasia (i know, shame on me!;) ) He happened to be right in front of us when he opened his wings- just our luck- and it scared DD half to death! I agree it is cool! However, DD did not agree! Maybe it won't bother her as much this year! Snow White even stopped and talked to her at the end of the parade b/c she was still crying- she told me it happens a lot. Anyway, I will talk to DD before the parade this year to better prepare her! It is a neat part of the parade, if only it didn't scare DD! princess:

I agree, for our litle ones at least, Spectro is a bit creepy.....we saw it in the summer of 02 for the first time and the "dragon thing" (I didn't know it had a name) wasn't working, it looked like it was trying to spread its wings but it wouldn't work. I remember turning to my wife and saying that it was just as well since our little ones would have been scared.
Last summer we skipped Spectro and will this summer as well, we really liked the Electric Light Parade, but I understand that its probably a good thing that they switch it up occasionaly.:D

does anyone happen to have the words that start off the parade?
I listened from the site that JK listed, but I couldn't understand what they were saying....

Originally posted by HunnyPots
I don't find the villians creepy at all (hmm... funny) but I was a little creeped out by those doll things. Too many "Talky Tina" and "Chuckie" stories, I suppose.

Same here. The doll things are scary. But then, I also am afraid of clowns.

I haven't seen Spectromagic in person, but I saw photos of it on a website. The first thing I thought was, "what are those creepy doll-looking people??!!" I don't think I'd dislike them any less if I saw them in person. lol I am with the pp though, I don't like clowns either......creepy. lol

When we saw Spectro last year I noticed my 3 yr old son really looking at that dragon, then he said its Batman and I said yes it was. Well that night he told me he had thought about it and it wasn't Batman it was a monster. He was up most that night and had bad dreams about that thing for 6 months!!

The doll things are scary. But then, I also am afraid of clowns.

I know what you mean! My 16 yo dd also has a serious fear of clowns that goes back to early childhood. Her grandma gave her a clown doll when she was two and I had to hide it at night or she would not go to sleep. I soon quit worrying about grandma's feelings and got rid of the thing!

Can't sleep, clowns will eat me...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter