• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spectro Vs. Electrical parade

ohboyx3

DIS Veteran
I'm new here.. so excuse me if this has ever been discussed, which I'm sure it has! I'm just curious to hear everyones opinions about which parade they like better. I remmber my first trip way back in '96 I think it was.... I saw the electrical parade. I was with my mom and Dad. Several years later I went with my own family and saw Spectro. Truthfully.... I didn't like it as much... I don't know if it was because I was a bit let down because of all the hype I had read about it or what! In 2008, we went again and saw Spectro for the second time. We are now planning a May trip and I was excited to see the electrical parade back and revised! To anyone who has seen it, what do you think and will it still be running in May? So..... Which do you like better? Spectro or the Electrical?

I felt the same way when I saw Spectro the first time. Even up until now I felt like I've enjoyed MSEP better than Spectro, but I think that's just because I grew up with MSEP. I'm sure if you compare both side by side you would think MSEP looks outdated compared to Spectromagic. Also, I've always loved the MSEP song but after hearing them both one after the other Spectromagic is really cool.

You should check out some youtube videos and compare them side by side.

I prefer Spectro. We just saw MSEP last week and found it to be really short and not enough characters. JMHO

Spectro by far for me. I like the music so much more, even if it always got stuck in my head. I did enjoy seeing MSEP for the first time when it came back, but I don't think we'll ever make a point to stop and watch it again. If we saw an open spot for Spectro close to parade time, we'd always be up for it. MSEP was cute and all, but I wish it would go away now. :goodvibes

I think which ever parade you saw first and most, will be the one you like best. I saw MSEP first and like it very much, but my kids were exposed to Spectro and they would much prefer it over MSEP. Kinda like the Cirque de Soleil shows...my fav is LaNouba and I think it's because it was the one I saw first.

I want to add that I will be happy to watch EITHER of these lighted parades at MK.

We've seen both dozens of times.

They make me happy, each having highlights lacking in the other.

I won't complain if they want to keep MSEP, or switch back to Spectro (or care exactly when they decide to do that.)

I can revel in the glow of each float and character, regardless of which version of the parade is passing my view.

Thanks! I was just curious to hear what everyone thought. I guess it's like reading a book or seeing a movie . Usually you like the the one you did first the best! I would agree that ANY parade is wonderful. I can't ewait to go, but am looking forwanrd to something "different" on our next trip. Is it really shorter? That part is a bummer..

Although I like both, I think Spectro is much more advanced as far as the technology goes. I love the music too. I would guess that Spectro is much more expensive to run than MSEP, but that is a guess of course. We will also be there in May, 5th - 15th at the Beach Club. It has been so long since I've seen MSEP so I wouldn't mind seeing it again but we are bringing family members that have never been to Disney and may never go again, so I would prefer that they see Spectro.

I want to add that I will be happy to watch EITHER of these lighted parades at MK.

We've seen both dozens of times.

They make me happy, each having highlights lacking in the other.

I won't complain if they want to keep MSEP, or switch back to Spectro (or care exactly when they decide to do that.)

I can revel in the glow of each float and character, regardless of which version of the parade is passing my view.

I guess I feel pretty much the same. I am a little partial to MSEP because it seems more upbeat to me and I have always been left feeling strange about the characters in the white masks on Spectro. Just seemed kind of on the dark side to me. I just saw MSEP a few weeks ago and I still like it. That said, either one is OK.

When did they bring MSEP back? We've only seen Spectro . . .

We went to DLR for first time in early July (having been to WDW for several years and seeing Spectro) - one of the things that we were most looking forward to was Electrical Parade (again - saw at WDW in 1990)

Then just before World of Color (new show at DCA) debuted in June, MSEP went to WDW and we missed it.

This year we are going back to DLR in April and WDW in August - knowing our luck it will move back to DLR inbetween our visits and we'll miss it again. However all I'll say is WOC is still very popular and don't know how DLR will run WOC and MSEP on same night.

I've never seen either one so I'm excited to see MSEP when we are there next May!

I have a slight preference for MSEP, but they both definitely have their moments.

Some of my parade memories:
MSEP - Seeing it in August, I think the Dumbo units were missing.
My favorite "huh?" parade moment was a few years back, when a number of other characters used to walk beside the To Honor America unit. No better way to Honor America than to give us a bunch of characters taken from European Folklore!

Spectromagic - Those white-faced characters at the front always seemed a little bizarre to me.
It's hard for me to sit down for a fish dinner without hearing that line: "Look, Flounder, humans! Aren't they wonderful?"
At least for a while, our group used to take bets as to whether the Chernobog float would be working on a given night.
For my money, there is no greater moment in any parade than the finale of Spectro, with lights "changing" from white to multicolor and back.

the only good thing about the parades is that the ride lines are shorter. being from new orleans originally i have seen the pinnicle of parade floats. disneys floats are like 1980s technology and really needs to sink some dough into them. i think they should reimagineer the whole parade and get in the 21st centry with fiberoptics, led's and laser technology.

p.s. if i had to choose between the 2 i would pick spectro :goodvibes

The Main Street Electrical Parade was the first parade I saw back in 1980 and I still love that parade the best. We were there last week and even in the rain, it was beautiful and I was so happy to see it again.

I think the Main Street Electrical Parade is tons better than SpectroMagic! SpectroMagic is nice too, but I just don't think it has the nostalgia and charm that the Electrical Parade has. And the music! Baroque Hoedown is the best parade song...EVER.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter