Special things you do for your kids -- DIY?

brooke789

DIS Veteran
Just looking for any ideas for extra special things you do for your family during your trip - DIY style.

I've told my daughter we're going to be practicing the princess hair styles for the next year so I can give her a different one each day. Plus I'll plan to pick up some spray glitter at Halloween. Any other ideas for DIY pixie dusting?

The kids will also have special Disney shirts for each day depending on what we're doing/characters they're meeting.

Any other ideas of things we can do ourselves just to add a little extra magic during our trip!

Not really a DIY thing but when my kids were small we bought glow sticks and rings and wands in all colors for each night. We also bought glow necklaces in the same color for all of us. It's crazy how everyone looks the same at night!

My DD also had a small Mickey journal from the dollar store. Each night she wrote her favorite thing (with help from mom) and Mickey left her a candy! She loved it.

I love the writing down the favorite thing each night! Talking about our favorite things (for the day or the weekend, trip, etc) has been a daily ritual for our family for the last couple years. I'd love to write down their favorite thing of each day to put into our photobook I'll make from the trip! Great Advice!!

We'll also do the glow stuff to keep them from asking for the expensive stuff they're selling. haha! (Plus next trip we have the advantage of some Disney on Ice light up wands their grandparents bought them at Frozen on Ice this year. We'll be taking those!)

Look for Disney items in things you need to purchase anyway. Shampoo, body wash, toothbrushes/paste etc. New Disney PJ's, sock etc. Look for snacks in Disney theme to take along. One year I bought those juices that are in the bottles with Disney tops. Our little guy would drink the juice with his breakfast on the way to the bus and then we would rise it out and we would refill it in the park for him to drink out of during that day. Saved wanting the expensive cups in the parks too.

I made a journal for them to fill out for each day with things like "you favorite ride today" "favorite food", a picture box to draw where they're staying, emojis to circle how they are feeling.
We are planning on making little notes from disney characters to leave on their nightstand for them to find each morning with a couple new pins to add to their lanyard for trading. For example, on the third day we are going to Epcot so their card that I wrote for that morning reads "Find a happy place, find a happy place, find a happy place. Lucky for you, you're in a the happiest place on Earth so just keep swimming. Happy Birthday from your friend Nemo." Oh it happens to be their birthday we are celebrating this trip, but you could easily take the birthday part out.

Look for Disney items in things you need to purchase anyway. Shampoo, body wash, toothbrushes/paste etc. New Disney PJ's, sock etc. Look for snacks in Disney theme to take along. One year I bought those juices that are in the bottles with Disney tops. Our little guy would drink the juice with his breakfast on the way to the bus and then we would rise it out and we would refill it in the park for him to drink out of during that day. Saved wanting the expensive cups in the parks too.

You reminded me of these water bottles I saw at Sam's Club this weekend. Might need these for our trip! http://www.samsclub.com/sams/aquaballs-16-12-oz/prod14330086.ip?navAction=

Tinker Bell stops by our room during the night. She will leave a note with hints about what we are doing that day and a little something special like a small surprise (like glow necklaces for that night's parade or fireworks), or "tickets" for a special event for the day (like a character meal), or a coupon for a special treat like a Mickey Bar.

We have also done journals and it is really fun to look back over them as the kids have gotten older.

I have sewn custom princess dresses and made Disney themed the shirts from iron on transfers that I printed at home.

Tinker Bell stops by our room during the night. She will leave a note with hints about what we are doing that day and a little something special like a small surprise (like glow necklaces for that night's parade or fireworks), or "tickets" for a special event for the day (like a character meal), or a coupon for a special treat like a Mickey Bar.

Tink stops by our room too. I have a great memory of my son talking to another child about it one year!

They sell/sold a Tink pin with blue pixie dust in it that opens. I sprinkle a little on the table (I wipe it up as well). She might leave a shirt or a note about something special for that day. I also shop the Disney Store sales leading up to our trips.

Last edited:
We brought our own ears and t-shirts and left tinkerbell gifts. We also brought disney antibacterial wipes from the dollar store. You can also bring disney DVD's and coloring books for the plane/drive and Disney books for bedtime. We are staying off prop next so I'm planning to download a disney themed ringtone for our morning alarm. If you have a kitchen, you can make your own Mickey pancakes (we do this all the time at home).

An easy one is to wear your own princess dress to the parks, too.

Again, not a DIY, but I got a couple of great deals at the Disney store yesterday to leave as morning treats for my DD. She is 12, but she is my youngest and I am still trying to bring the magic! I found a medium sized stuffed Olaf for $6 and a Minnie journal with highlighters for $4. Pretty big sale going on right now.

This trip is for my daughter's 16th birthday. We will be in the Magic Kingdom on her birthday. She wanted this trip more than a car. So we are bringing her best friend with us. Yes, she knows. I bought her Mickey Mouse Birthday Ears for her, and I am going to have t shirts made too. My daughter's will say something like, "I'm having a Magical Sweet 16 Birthday". The other three will say something like, "I'm with birthday girl". These shirts will be wrapped so she can open them on her birthday. There will be a birthday card that will say something like, "We know you wanted a car too, so here it is". There will be a picture of a little red convertible. The picture will be of the actual car we bought for her too. My buddy will put this car in our garage when we are at Disney so when we get home, I'll open the garage and there will sit her car. The other surprise is they all think we are Staying at All Star Sports, but I changed the reservation to Animal Kingdom Lodge. 44 more days.

Last edited:
We usually do matching shirts. Both bought and homemade. I think the pictures look better when we are coordinated.

I am planning on doing a travel journal. Though I plan to put it into a binder when we get home and keep all of the pages for all trips we take together. I think it will make a nice scrapbook type thing when she is older.

This year we are doing MNSSHP for the first time and I plan to make her a Disney Halloween themed autograph book that will only be used at the party.

When our kids were young we always decorated/personalized our own autograph books. Simple but fun

I am a little sad my daughter and son are 7 and 10....I don't think Tinkerbelle stopping by will be impressive...it's our first time for us all. However, I did make journals for them. I haven't quite figured out how to get the personalized Disney pages on here but I am working on it. I did get the little Diney pets for Mousekeeping to move.

Huge family trip this December. 3 infants and and a 5 year old boy. We are already working on tink gifts. She will be visiting us every night too. You can also do the golf ball on soarin and gems in philharmagic.

I am a little sad my daughter and son are 7 and 10....I don't think Tinkerbelle stopping by will be impressive...it's our first time for us all. However, I did make journals for them. I haven't quite figured out how to get the personalized Disney pages on here but I am working on it. I did get the little Diney pets for Mousekeeping to move.

I think there are ways to make disney "magical", or at least special, for 7 and 10 YO's. It's not the same as a 4YO but the beauty of Disney is the suspension of disbelief for everyone. How about making the books part journal, part scrap book? The kids can save recipes, tickets, stickers, etc. They can also decorate their magic bands with glittery nail polish/paint.

You can also leave envelopes by their beds with poems letting them know what is in store for the day. They will know it is from you but it will still be fun and different.

Or get them disney dollars or a disney gift card and let them spend it however they wish. Or let them earn disney dollars by doing good things at home.

You can also buy glow sticks for nighttime parades/fireworks and let them play tinkerbell and "pixie dust" the other kids around them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter