Special Needs Stroller

fieldsmommy

Earning My Ears
I will be going to Disney this fall and just recently got my daughter a special needs stroller. This stroller is very expensive. When using the stroller/handicap pass, am I safe in leaving it there while we ride the ride? I know the park them close to the exit but I wouldn't want it stolen. Are they watched pretty closely or should I buy some type of locking system for it while its unattended?

I don't think anybody would take it, but if you are really worried you could always rent one and get insurance on it. That also prevents it getting any sort of damage or wear from being in parks or if you are taking Disney transportation.
Our normal terrain is very smooth, we have broken one stroller and damaged another just walking around in the parks. They were not specialty ones, but we broke the wheels off of a $150 umbrella stroller going over the tracks on main street in the MK.

I agree with PP that we've had no trouble leaving ours where they told us, though I'm not sure CMs really "watch closely." But I do think they have a fairly decent idea of who got on with a GAC and *might* notice if someone else walked off the ride to a stroller parked there. You probably would have limited time to attach a lock when helping the child out of the stroller and boarding a ride, and they may frown upon it because they need to be able to move it easily.

Enjoy your vacation!

I agree with PP that we've had no trouble leaving ours where they told us, though I'm not sure CMs really "watch closely." But I do think they have a fairly decent idea of who got on with a GAC and *might* notice if someone else walked off the ride to a stroller parked there. You probably would have limited time to attach a lock when helping the child out of the stroller and boarding a ride, and they may frown upon it because they need to be able to move it easily.

Enjoy your vacation!
:thumbsup2 this.

Depending on your child's needs, you may have very little time to secure the stroller. If the child is able to get out of the stroller and walk, you will have a longer time.
If you have to lift and carry the child, you will have a very limited amount of time.

And sometimes the boarding area is different than the unload area, so the CMs will need to be able to move it to the unload area.

The first time we took DD's wheelchair, I was very worried about it. After all, it cost over $5000 - more than my first car.
But, over the years, I've seen that people pretty much leave wheelchairs and strollers being used as wheelchairs alone. If you are bringing it into lines, it will be left in places where CMs are. Even though they are not actually watching it, they do track which ride cars have guests with disabilities in. They need to know that for evacuation purposes and to move the stroller/wheelchair into place if needed after the ride.

I had an interesting experience once on Haunted Mansion. I was in the doombuggy ahead of DH and DD and got off to get the wheelchair ready, assuming the moving walkway would be stopped so DH could lift DD out.
The CM forgot to stop it, so they went on another trip thru the ride, while the CM told me to wait for them on a walkway that is behind a half wall just behind the exit moving walkway. I was in clear view of guests getting off, if they looked my way.
DD's wheelchair was parked in a little hallway and every exiting guest had to walk right past it. During the whole 8 minutes or so that I was there, no one noticed me at all. The only person who noticed the wheelchair was a boy who was walking out backwards and nearly walked into it.
Guests ar really very focused on getting out of attractions and are looking for how to get out so they can get to their next attraction.

Even if they do notice, they have no idea if it is being watched or when the owner will be getting out. So, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

PS - if you have any questions about GACs or using a stroller as a wheelchair, follow the link n my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread and look in post 6.

Ok thanks for the info. It just makes me nervous but I think your right about the lock. I hadn't even thought about how quickly you have to get in or how sometimes they move them.

We always leave our DDs special needs stroller. We do remove any bags hanging from it, but we have never had any problem at all.

Just a tip don't leave any food in it or your be meet by chip and dales food stealing gang of squirrels. They will eat just about anything left in a stroller. And their not shy about it their do it while you watch and break through bags and your property to get to the food.

Thought of another question, what did u do with your stroller if you flew down? I didn't know whether it was safer to gate check it or not? Is there some type of insurance through the airlines?

Thought of another question, what did u do with your stroller if you flew down? I didn't know whether it was safer to gate check it or not? Is there some type of insurance through the airlines?

Strollers can be gate-checked, allowing you to use it all the way down the gangway to the door of the plane. It will not count against your luggage limit. I'm not sure there's any special insurance available, never heard of it.

I've not heard of insurance thru the airlines, BUT, mobility equipment falls under different rules than a regular stroller does. If the airline damages a piece of mobility equipment, they are required to pay for repair or replacement.
This is part of the Air Carrier Act and is discussed more in post 15 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread - near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature.

Check if your homeowners or renters insurance will cover it. Chances are it will be covered or you can probably get a specific rider on your insurance that would cover it. That would likely be less expensive than trying to get separate insurance.

You want to do what you can to prevent damage. The biggest thing for a stroller is making sure it is folded and secured so it doesn't unfold during the trip.
Some of the hints in post 15 of the FAQs thread will help with a stroller too.

If you're that worried about it, can you rent one instead of bringing yours? I don't know your specific situation but if you can get by in the airport with a wheelchair you might be better off. I had one stroller destroyed by the airline and didn't receive anywhere near replacement cost for it and it was a major headache. Now I rent from off-Disney companies so my strollers don't get destroyed but I have it at the resorts and such.

Be VERY wary of leaving anything unattended. Our vacation last year was almost ruined because my brother's wheelchair was stolen. He is low-functioning autistic with mobility issues so he requires it to walk more than a very short distance. It is our own personal custom made wheelchair and it was left in the "wheelchair" hut on the Kilimanjaro Safaris ride in AK. When we got off the wheelchair was gone. The staff were no help. We were lucky to be riding with a supervisor that day or else nothing would have been done. This was the worst experience I've ever had at Disney and with any cast members. It took security about 30mins to finally saunter over (literally no better way to describe it) to the ride and just took our names. Then they left us basically stranded and told us there was nothing they could do. Me and my mom waited by the exit for the rest of the day until the people who stole it left the park and were taking it with them. Naturally we 'approached' them. Their excuse: they had difficulty finding their rented wheelchair and ours was the nicest or closest or something. Nice.
I'm not telling you this to complain, but please be aware of our situation. If something does happen you're on your own...

Be VERY wary of leaving anything unattended. Our vacation last year was almost ruined because my brother's wheelchair was stolen. He is low-functioning autistic with mobility issues so he requires it to walk more than a very short distance. It is our own personal custom made wheelchair and it was left in the "wheelchair" hut on the Kilimanjaro Safaris ride in AK. When we got off the wheelchair was gone. The staff were no help. We were lucky to be riding with a supervisor that day or else nothing would have been done. This was the worst experience I've ever had at Disney and with any cast members. It took security about 30mins to finally saunter over (literally no better way to describe it) to the ride and just took our names. Then they left us basically stranded and told us there was nothing they could do. Me and my mom waited by the exit for the rest of the day until the people who stole it left the park and were taking it with them. Naturally we 'approached' them. Their excuse: they had difficulty finding their rented wheelchair and ours was the nicest or closest or something. Nice.
I'm not telling you this to complain, but please be aware of our situation. If something does happen you're on your own...

That's a real bummer, sorry that happened to your family! We always decorate our special needs stroller - not only making it easy to pick-out in a sea of strollers when parked, but also (hopefully) makes it less attractive for someone to just walk-off with it. I'm sure it doesn't completely deter anyone intent on taking something that's not theirs, but hopefully would make them think twice. Plus it would be more obvious to spot around the park if we had to report it missing.

I called my insurance company yesterday and im going to insure the stroller. It will cost approximately 60.00 a year but will have no deductable. The peace of mind is worth it! I

I called my insurance company yesterday and im going to insure the stroller. It will cost approximately 60.00 a year but will have no deductable. The peace of mind is worth it! I

Absolutely!

I tour the park solo a lot, so I actually have to leave my wheelchair ($5000 value) literally in their hands. There has never been a problem with it being there when I got back.

P.S. How did you get them to insure it? What "category" did they put it under? I have literally $20,000+ worth of wheelchair between my manual and my powerchair, so I would like to know I am not totally SOL if it was damaged majorly or stolen. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter