Special needs stroller/pushchair

mickeyfan30

Earning My Ears
Heading to wdw first week of December, does anyone know where I Can rent a special needs stroller or push chair? My daughter is 50lbs and about 4 ft I know Orlando stroller rental carries the liberty stroller but looking for something less bulky.
Or even any recommendations on stroller/push chairs that I can purchase through our insurance to maybe order before our trip. TIA

Last I looked, I think it was CareMedical that offered a less-bulky stroller. Or check Orlando Medical Rentals. I do not have first-hand experience with either company but reports on the DIS have been good for both.

Enjoy your vacation!

ETA: See below for website links.

Last edited:
We rented the liberty stroller last April for my 6 year old with multiple disabilities. She was very comfortable in it, but it was a little difficult getting on and off the buses from the hotels. We were able to get the stroller used as a wheelchair, so they were able to strap her in on the bus. They had use the seatbelt around the stroller because there are not wheelchair hookups on the stroller.

The one thing we didn't like was that the liberty doesn't go very upright. She was very reclined most of the time, which made her a little more drowsy than usual. She also has a Convaid wheelchair stroller that does not recline that we'll probably bring on our next trip. The Convaid does not recline, but it has wheelchair hookups, so that will make navigating the bus better.

The Liberty pushchair is not designed for transport, to my knowledge a transport option is not available for this stroller. It should always be folded on the buses and I am very surprised a bus driver allowed it to be left open. That can be very dangerous, to both the child in the stroller as well as other passengers. If it wasn't tied down, it could become a projectile; it could also collapse or at the very lease the frame could be bent, possibly causing injury. Relatively few "special needs strollers" are designed to be used during transport -- some models of Convaid are. If you need to use the stroller for seating during transport, you need to look for the right option.

OP -- the links for the vendors I mentioned in my previous post:

http://www.caremedicalequipment.com -- they don't indicate which stroller they use, but last I checked it was an Otto Bock.

http://www.orlandomedicalrentals.com/medical-equipment-rentals-orlando.asp -- they list a variety of strollers on their website; some appear to be standard strollers with higher weight limits while others are designed for special needs with various options

I'd love to hear first-hand feedback of anyone renting strollers from either of these vendors.

We rented the liberty stroller last April for my 6 year old with multiple disabilities. She was very comfortable in it, but it was a little difficult getting on and off the buses from the hotels. We were able to get the stroller used as a wheelchair, so they were able to strap her in on the bus. They had use the seatbelt around the stroller because there are not wheelchair hookups on the stroller.

The one thing we didn't like was that the liberty doesn't go very upright. She was very reclined most of the time, which made her a little more drowsy than usual. She also has a Convaid wheelchair stroller that does not recline that we'll probably bring on our next trip. The Convaid does not recline, but it has wheelchair hookups, so that will make navigating the bus better.
Although she had a stroller as wheelchair tag, the bus drivers should not have strapped it down or allowed her to ride in it on the bus.
Transport ready special needs strollers are not all designed or approved for transport in buses. The ones that are designed for transport have strengthened frames and have safely attached loops on the frame for doing the tie down.
As lanejudy mentioned, tying one down that is not designed for that purpose could damage the stroller or cause injury during an accident or sudden stop.

If you are looking to possibly purchase a special needs stroller, this site is a good place to start:
http://www.adaptivemall.com/allstrolpus.html?campaign=strollerbutton

Last time I checked, they did not work with insurance companies, but that may have changed. If nothing else, the website gives a good overview of what is out there. If your child is seeing an OT or PT, they could assist with narrowing things down and helping with possible insurance coverage.

Last edited:
I always recommend the Maclaren major. I do know people who have gotten them through insurance but if she is going to need a real wheelchair in the future make sure this isn't the only one your insurance allows every 5 years. It's not terribly expensive. We are on our third one in 18 years.

Last I looked, I think it was CareMedical that offered a less-bulky stroller. Or check Orlando Medical Rentals. I do not have first-hand experience with either company but reports on the DIS have been good for both.

Enjoy your vacation!

ETA: See below for website links.
Thanks for the info I'll check it out!:thumbsup2

Thanks for the info! We've used the city joggers from OSR previous times but think she may be getting a little to tall for it now. I'll definitely look into the convaid. :thumbsup2

If you think this is something your child would use long term, I would consider going through doctors and insurance to see about getting your own stroller or wheelchair.

My daughter has a Convaid Rodeo. It reclines which is handy for when she is having seizures and because she has low trunk tone. It folds up and her chair does have the transport package.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter