Special needs child?

GretaAnn12

Earning My Ears
We will be taking our 7year-old son on his first cruise in November. He has high-functioning autism and ADHD. His biggest issue is his quirky speech but no other behavior problems. He is in a regular classroom at school. He is very social and loves other kids. Will he be allowed to attend the kids club? Has anyone else taken their SN children?

Thanks!

Yes! He sounds a lot like my DD who is also 7 (brain surgery for seizures, extremely quirky speech but social and well behaved). We took our first Disney cruise last year when she was 6 and I told the CMs a little about her when I first dropped her off...they were blasé about it in the best way. She had a lot of fun and there were no issues. It was a great experience and we are looking forward to another cruise later this year.

We will be taking our 7year-old son on his first cruise in November. He has high-functioning autism and ADHD. His biggest issue is his quirky speech but no other behavior problems. He is in a regular classroom at school. He is very social and loves other kids. Will he be allowed to attend the kids club? Has anyone else taken their SN children?

Thanks!

As long as there are no behavioral issues, there should be no problem with him attending the clubs.

Thanks!

On the first day there is Open House, and you can walk through the club with him so that he feels more comfortable and gets "the lay of the land." While some activities require participation, many don't. My DD had some sensory issues when she was younger and she did OK in there as long as it didn't get TOO rowdy. The CMs didn't hover over her too much, but it seemed like they kept an eye out on her.

Oh great - he will have no problems with being separated from us if there are other kids around! Lol. I definitely tell anyone who has to watch over him about his issues - I believe it's only fair. I know he will enjoy himself and hopefully make a friend while there. Thanks!

We're cruising on the Wonder in December and booked through Autism of the Seas. They're a TA specializing in cruising with special needs (my DS, 11, has Down syndrome). They arrange some things with the cruise line in advance so that they know what your child may need. What they offered looked like it might make the trip easier for our family and their services are free. Check out their website. If you don't want to switch your reservation to them someone else on here mentioned that they could purchase their services for around $50.

I see that you are cruising on the Wonder which I personally feel is a better choice than the large ship with regard to children with special needs. The large ships have so many more CMs and kids. With the smaller ships few kids and CMs mean that it will be easier to talk to them and for them to also remember your child and any special considerations. On the smaller ships we find that within a day or two our kids know all of the counselors and the counselors know my kids. On the larger ships even at the end we are meeting new faces.

It is really important to advise CM of any disabilities. They may otherwise think that it is purely bad behaviour and the parents could be asked to remove the child from the club.

We're cruising on the Wonder in December and booked through Autism of the Seas. They're a TA specializing in cruising with special needs (my DS, 11, has Down syndrome). They arrange some things with the cruise line in advance so that they know what your child may need. What they offered looked like it might make the trip easier for our family and their services are free. Check out their website. If you don't want to switch your reservation to them someone else on here mentioned that they could purchase their services for around $50.

Thanks for that info! I just sent them an email inquiry.

It is really important to advise CM of any disabilities. They may otherwise think that it is purely bad behaviour and the parents could be asked to remove the child from the club.

Trust me - I am not one of those parents who hides stuff. I always disclose it at the very beginning. I don't think it's fair otherwise - to either parties involved.

I wish I'd known about them sooner. I'm already PIF and wish I could transfer my reservation. Next time!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I wish I'd known about them sooner. I'm already PIF and wish I could transfer my reservation. Next time!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Me too! I am using a TA who I kind of "know" so would hate to change on her now.

I see that you are cruising on the Wonder which I personally feel is a better choice than the large ship with regard to children with special needs. The large ships have so many more CMs and kids. With the smaller ships few kids and CMs mean that it will be easier to talk to them and for them to also remember your child and any special considerations. On the smaller ships we find that within a day or two our kids know all of the counselors and the counselors know my kids. On the larger ships even at the end we are meeting new faces.

Good to know - thanks!

Thanks!

We were on the Dream last October--a month before our daughter turned 9. She has epilepsy, high functioning autism, sensory issues, low vision and low muscle tone, but like your son she is in a regular class at school. She loved the kids clubs and they were great with her. We loved it, too, because it's rare that we can get someone to watch her for us, but the DCL kids clubs were a great fit for her. She can't wait to go back when we cruise again next month.

Catherine

You're cruising before me so you'll have to let me know what you thought of their services, if you end up using them.

I definitely will! :)

We were on the Dream last October--a month before our daughter turned 9. She has epilepsy, high functioning autism, sensory issues, low vision and low muscle tone, but like your son she is in a regular class at school. She loved the kids clubs and they were great with her. We loved it, too, because it's rare that we can get someone to watch her for us, but the DCL kids clubs were a great fit for her. She can't wait to go back when we cruise again next month.

Catherine

Thanks so much Catherine. I am glad to hear from someone who has BTDT. I think Austin will have a blast but I'm a worrywart. ;)

We did 2 cruises with our DS when he was 7, he has ADHD and Asperger's too. He loved the clubs and managed well. So well, in fact, that he preferred going there to the main dining rooms, so we often fed him first then dropped him off while we ate. He found the dining loud and overwhelming (sensory-wise), so it worked out for all of us!

We did 2 cruises with our DS when he was 7, he has ADHD and Asperger's too. He loved the clubs and managed well. So well, in fact, that he preferred going there to the main dining rooms, so we often fed him first then dropped him off while we ate. He found the dining loud and overwhelming (sensory-wise), so it worked out for all of us!

Oh, that's good to know! My DS doesn't have any sensory issues but he would want to rush us through dinner just so he could go onto the next activity. I would prefer letting him eat first, and then DH and I can eat a leisurely dinner. My DH works in another state so we only have one week a month together, and NEVER get out by ourselves. Sounds like a win-win! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter