• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Special meals on Christmas Cruise

Lizdisdog

Earning My Ears
Can anyone who has previous been on a cruise for Christmas week if they do any special dinners or is it just the normal rotations? Thanks:santa:

In 2005 Christmas cruise, there was a special dinner on Christmas. We also has had the normal rotation dinners and the Captain's or Golden Mickey dinner.

On Christmas day, the kids can go the atrium and get a gift from santa. The ship is beautifully decorated, carolers and even the CM perform the carols.

Once of the best time to go on DCL

In 2005 Christmas cruise, there was a special dinner on Christmas. We also has had the normal rotation dinners and the Captain's or Golden Mickey dinner.

On Christmas day, the kids can go the atrium and get a gift from santa. The ship is beautifully decorated, carolers and even the CM perform the carols.

Once of the best time to go on DCL

We can't wait for this Christmas! Just curious, if you have kids, what kind of gift did they get? Another thing to plan to fit in the suitcase on the way home. ;)

To the OP, I know I saw a Christmas menu from a Christmas past recently - now if I can just remember where, I'll post the link.

We can't wait for this Christmas! Just curious, if you have kids, what kind of gift did they get? Another thing to plan to fit in the suitcase on the way home. ;)

To the OP, I know I saw a Christmas menu from a Christmas past recently - now if I can just remember where, I'll post the link.

Our kids are older so they did not take part in the activities. If I recall correctly it was a small backpack with toys. The older kids got something different (small). I am not sure if it was something for 2005 or is a standard activity during christmas. The navigator will have the information posted.

We were on the 2007 Magic cruise. Our kids didn't get gifts, but then again, we didn't look for a time/place to go do that. However, there was a "traditional" Christmas dinner on Christmas night - turkey and roast beef with the trimmings. They also moved formal night to coincide with Christmas night. We elected to do Palo that night - did a big family night on Christmas Eve and then did gifts Christmas am, and our "untraditional" approach was that we let the kids do the clubs that night and we did Palo.

Our kids are older so they did not take part in the activities. If I recall correctly it was a small backpack with toys. The older kids got something different (small). I am not sure if it was something for 2005 or is a standard activity during christmas. The navigator will have the information posted.

Thanks for the additional info. I'll be sure to check the Navigator.

I know this is a silly question but just wanted to check - when you say formal night is on christmas night - is that christmas eve??:confused3 If so, is there anything special on actual Christmas Day??

I'm from the UK and looking forward to seeing the US Traditions!!:banana: Am I right in thinking that you (those of you from the US - I mean!!;) ) have your special meal on Christmas eve?? And when do you normally do the present giving thing??

(Just asking as traditionally in the UK we have our special lunch/dinner on Christmas day along with the present giving - so I'm excited about seeing a different way of doing thing!!):banana: :banana:

I am also trying to figure out what the meal schedule will be that week. I have to make our Palo ressies in just a few days and I haven't a clue which night to make them for. Since we are doing late seating, I'm beginning to think the best choice for us will be to do the Palo brunch one day at sea and just have dinner with our kids in the main dining rooms every night.

I saw posted somewhere the western dining rotations including which restaurant starts at 8 vs. 8:15 vs 8:30. I will have to find it again and make a spreadsheet with all the info. If I actually get it done, I will be sure to post it!

The thought of eating at PC on Christmas eve seems wierd to me.

I know this is a silly question but just wanted to check - when you say formal night is on christmas night - is that christmas eve??:confused3 If so, is there anything special on actual Christmas Day??

I'm from the UK and looking forward to seeing the US Traditions!!:banana: Am I right in thinking that you (those of you from the US - I mean!!;) ) have your special meal on Christmas eve?? And when do you normally do the present giving thing??

(Just asking as traditionally in the UK we have our special lunch/dinner on Christmas day along with the present giving - so I'm excited about seeing a different way of doing thing!!):banana: :banana:

No, it's the same here, at least in my experience, that the special lunch/dinner is on Christmas Day. I think the present giving aspect is more split, with some families opening gifts on Christmas Eve, some waiting until Christmas morning.

I wonder why DCL did the holiday meal on Christmas Eve in 2006? I looked at the Christmas Day post from the TR link I posted above and the woman said they had casual dining on Christmas Day, which just seems unusual to me. :confused3

I found a trip report from the Christmas 2007 sailing of the Magic and that woman said DCL adjusted some of the nights due to the day Christmas was and that they rescheduled formal night to be Christmas night.

So who knows what they'll do this year!

No, it's the same here, at least in my experience, that the special lunch/dinner is on Christmas Day. I think the present giving aspect is more split, with some families opening gifts on Christmas Eve, some waiting until Christmas morning.

I wonder why DCL did the holiday meal on Christmas Eve in 2006? I looked at the Christmas Day post from the TR link I posted above and the woman said they had casual dining on Christmas Day, which just seems unusual to me. :confused3

I found a trip report from the Christmas 2007 sailing of the Magic and that woman said DCL adjusted some of the nights due to the day Christmas was and that they rescheduled formal night to be Christmas night.

So who knows what they'll do this year!

Thanks for the info!!:thumbsup2

It was when I read that trip report that I saw that formal/xmas dinner was served on Christmas eve and that nothing special seemed to happen on Christmas Day - So I just (obviously incorrectly!;) assumed that in the US you all celebrated the night before rather than on the day itself!!:)

To be honest it won't really matter either way to us - after all when you are on vacation you never know which day is which anyway, do you!!:lmao: :thumbsup2

Thanks for the info!!:thumbsup2

It was when I read that trip report that I saw that formal/xmas dinner was served on Christmas eve and that nothing special seemed to happen on Christmas Day - So I just (obviously incorrectly!;) assumed that in the US you all celebrated the night before rather than on the day itself!!:)

To be honest it won't really matter either way to us - after all when you are on vacation you never know which day is which anyway, do you!!:lmao: :thumbsup2

Good point! :rotfl:

And you're welcome! Are you sailing this Christmas or 2009?

Edited to add: Nevermind! I see your ticker now that I'm out of posting mode. Looks like 2010? I'll be able to tell you all about Christmas 2008 at the end of this year. :goodvibes

Good point! :rotfl:

And you're welcome! Are you sailing this Christmas or 2009?

Edited to add: Nevermind! I see your ticker now that I'm out of posting mode. Looks like 2010? I'll be able to tell you all about Christmas 2008 at the end of this year. :goodvibes

Yes I like to plan ahead !!:lmao:

I hope you have a wonderful time!!:cloud9: It would be great to hear all about it on your return!!:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Maybe you Christmas experts can help. Our Christmas Day is scheduled for the Nassau stop. Do you think they will push that to another day and make Christmas Day a sea day?

I believe the reason the holiday meal was served on Christmas Eve on the 2006 sailing is because we were at Castaway Cay on Christmas day. There were some passengers concerned that it didn't feel like Christmas. I was rather glad of that since that holiday is a bit stressful in my family. I like to tell my friends and family that I enjoyed a white Christmas that year. Of course it was a white sand Christmas!

Maybe you Christmas experts can help. Our Christmas Day is scheduled for the Nassau stop. Do you think they will push that to another day and make Christmas Day a sea day?
We will also be on this cruise. If anyone knows please share :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter