• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

special disabled pass for line wait times?!

KL1982

Earning My Ears
Not sure if this is the correct area to ask,but....
My husband is disabled.. I was told there is a special pass that allows you to get thur lines much faster if you are disabled ( in a wheel chair ) .. Has anyone used this before, and what exactly did it do for line wait times?

TIA

No. There is no such thing.

There IS the disABILITIES Board here, a little further down the page, where you can get answers to a lot of questions - but read the FAQ first. But being in a wheelchair doesn't get you through lines any faster; in fact, for a number of reasons, you may wait longer than guests on foot.

There is a card called a Guest Assistance Card that is meant to help tell CMs what assistance is needed by guests with disabilities. It is not a pass and is not meant to shorten waits.
You can find more information about Guest Assistance Cards in post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread. That thread is near the top of the disABILITIES Board or you can follow the link in my signature.

Most lines are wheelchair accessible and you don't need a card to use a wheelchair in line. The card is meant for communication to show to CMs for other needs that are not visible.
And, as was mentioned, using a wheelchair, ECV or card can even increase your wait at some attractions because access is slower.

The lines for almost all attractions at WDW are "mainstreamed". This means that the queue is set up to allow wheelchairs and/or ECVs to go through the line just as a person without a mobility problem. As it was built prior to the ADA, the Magic Kingdom is most likely to have non-mainstreamed lines. Some attractions, such as Splash Mountain and Haunted Mansion you will go part way through the regular queue and then be diverted. Other attractions, such as Big Thunder Mountain or SpaceShip Earth you will initially be directed to an accessible entrance.

All the theaters are set up with seats (usually in the back row) removed so a wheelchair or ECV can pull into a space and there will be regular seating on either side of the space for the others in the party.

Where there are quantity limits on space, or other limitation involving accessibility, you may have to wait longer to see a show or ride an attraction than people without disabilities.

The normal (and official) response of Guest Relations to people with mobility and/or stamina issues is to recommend rental of a wheelchair or ECV. The Guest Assistance Card (GAC) is intended for "invisible" disabilities not related to mobility or stamina. A wheelchair or ECV is sufficient to notify Cast Members of special assistance normally needed. However, if a person has other issues, such as auditory or visual, they would probably also need a GAC.

Note that a GAC is not intended to allow bypassing of lines, and it so states on the card itself. The only people who will get the special Front Of The Line GAC are where a terminal or medically fragile child is traveling on a trip from Make A Wish or similar foundation.

I'm going to move this to our disabilities board.

Thank you! I wasn't sure exactly what it would mean for us to go to wdw and my husband being disabled in a wheelchair. I know that some of those lines can be so looonnggg and its hard for him, but he really doesnt want to miss out out seeing our children enjoy the park. I had hoped it would help speed us thru the lines for his comfort sake, but I guess I may be waiting alone in some lines by myself with the kids :/

Thank you! I wasn't sure exactly what it would mean for us to go to wdw and my husband being disabled in a wheelchair. I know that some of those lines can be so looonnggg and its hard for him, but he really doesnt want to miss out out seeing our children enjoy the park. I had hoped it would help speed us thru the lines for his comfort sake, but I guess I may be waiting alone in some lines by myself with the kids :/

Your best bet is to go with a good touring plan and use fastpasses whereever possible to minimize wait times. Check out www.touringplans.com for park touring strategies. Also, familiarize yourself with the fastpass system.

When I take my special needs DD to WDW, our strategy is always to be at the parks for rope drop, tour until about lunch, then head back to the hotel during the busiest, middle part of the day. After a few hours of swimming and resting, we go back to the parks in the late afternoon when the crowds have thinned a little.

What is it that makes the lines difficult for him?

Where will he be when you are waiting in line with the kids?

I'm confused. Why will sitting in his chair in line with the rest of you be difficult? If he's waiting elsewhere then he'll still be waiting whether he's in line with you (typically indoors in a climate controlled queue) or waiting outside (in the elements or in a gift shop at the end of the ride). He can be with you in line in his wheelchair. If he has some other need please explain it so we can offer you the best available solution to the problem.

If waiting a long time in line is difficult I would always recommend Fastpass as your first option where available - this will shorten the time you spend in line. I know it has helped our family a lot.

Even if not riding a wheelchair user can stay with their family through most ride queue areas then exit and rejoin their party after the ride, there is plenty to enjoy in the queue sections, some have amazing themeing and are almost attractions in themselves that you would not want DH to miss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter