Speaking of affairs......

If your spouse was having an affair...

• Would you want to be told?

• Would you want to remain in the dark?

• Prefer to find out on your own?

• Other?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I would want to be told but only by my spouse. He would probably be confirming what I would already suspect as I have very very good instincts. It would hurt but I cannot say whether or not my marriage would be over behind an affair. But it would without a doubt be in trouble.

If my wife had a fling and she told me about it, it would verify the things that I know about, and love, in my wife:

* That she is human and capable of making mistakes
* That she loves me enough to be honest with me, even when it might hurt me, or her, or our marriage
* That she wants to continue our marriage based on mutual trust and respect, not a mountain of lies

I would hope that she would never allow herself to be placed in a situation that could lead to this level of temptation, but I know that life is complicated, and things happen that we do not intend.

Wow. I think this may be the first time I have ever agreed with you:lmao: I have never, ever for even a moment had any reason whatsoever to suspect that my husband has or will cheat on me. But if he did I think (and hope) that he would tell me. We have that kind of respect for each other and that kind of honesty in our relationship. And, I do not think a "one night stand" could extinguish the intense love I have for him--nor his for me. So, I would think we would work through it. I am sure it would be devistating and difficult---but giving up on us because of one mistake, ANY mistake, seems much more devistating to me.

I am surprised by the number of posters who "threatened" their spouses before getting married with what they would do if there was ever cheating and those who continually say things to their spouses or friends about they will leave immediately, etc. DH and I talk about everything. We always have. We know each other backwards and forwards and inside out. YET, we never talked about this. I don't know it seems like if I were to say "if you ever cheat . . ." I would be indicating I think that is likely and he NEEDS a threat to keep it in check. Since I don't think it is likely at all, why threaten? I also do not say "if you ever murder someone I am leaving instantly" or "If you ever take our life savings to Vegas and blow it all in one night I will destroy all of your prized pocessions and then leave you." It just doesn't make sense to me. I guess part of it to me is that when DH and I got married we saw it as our whole lives are now intertwined--not just our sex lives; so their are plenty of things which COULD betray our trust in each other--not just this one--and by getting married we were committing to be there for each other in so many ways that signaling out this one seems silly.

As far as someone else knowing and telling me. Yeah, I guess I would want to know (for the health reasons at teh very least). I would hoe my friends would give DH a week or so to tell me himself first and I would hope you would really know hat you were talking about if you did. If DH cheated and did not tell me himself that would hurt me much more than if he did tell me (I think--don't really know thank goodness).

As to the new question. I honestly cannot quite imagine DH having said to me "I hope I never cheat on you." Both of us believe we absolutely won't cheat--why else would we be married. But I know sometimes things happen you do not believe will and sometimes we humans do things we do not think we ever will.

You're completely missing the point. Imagine if you will that I reacted that way to the question about having an affair. If he "told" me I couldn't have sex with say a coworker, then I did, flaunted it, and told him it was none of his business. Or if he started smoking pot and told me it was none of my business, or if I started popping pain killers like candy to get through my hectic day and I told him it was none of his business, or... well I could go on and on. So would that be ok? No I didn't think so...

It's all about trust. He and I decided together to work on our eating habits. He in fact brought it up to me after some bad test results during a doctors appointment. Food is his drug of choice. Not meth, not vodka, not over spending, not cutting, not cigarettes. FOOD. So if me getting furious with him if (he has not btw) he fell off the wagon and cheated makes me controlling in your eyes - so be it. To me it's the same as if he'd cheated on me with another woman. Guess you just don't understand where I'm coming from.
No, I understand your point and I said that I assume that he doesn't have a problem with it. I, on the other hand, would. Drug use, alcoholism, and adultery are all deal breakers for me. However, as an adult, I don't think it's any of my partner's business what I eat. There is a HUGE difference between eating something that your partner wouldn't approve of and committing adultery.

I am surprised by the number of posters who "threatened" their spouses before getting married with what they would do if there was ever cheating and those who continually say things to their spouses or friends about they will leave immediately, etc.

Exactly! Do you really want your spouse to stick around because of FEAR? I guess I've never felt the need to threaten my husband, we have such an open, honest marriage and we're also mature enought to realize that it's ok to look at an attractive person opposite sex and admit we find them attractive and it doesn't mean we want to sleep with them. 20 years ago, yes I was extremely jealous and insecure, but I've grown up a lot (will be 40 in 2 months, yikes!) and love where we are at in our relationship. He travels frequently for work and goes to dinner, lunches, etc. with female colleagues and I have absolutely no fear or doubt that he would ever cross the line. Besides, he has ME, why would he even want to?? ;)

I don't see a problem discussing things like this before marriage. Why wouldn't you want to have full disclosure with someone you plan on spending the rest of your life with? I think it's actually pretty smart to talk about the usual relationship busters and your expectations and consequences. Even better is to have a full understanding on what you feel is cheating or not, and if your definition changes throughout your relationship. For example, is flirting cheating? Kissing? More? What would you do in each scenario? I wouldn't see it as a threat if my husband said he'd divorce me for cheating.

If it were a long term or recurring affair, or frequent cheating, or resulted in a pregnancy or something, I don't care how I found out but I'd want to know.

If it were a one night stand and happened once, and he were truly remorseful and it never happened again, no I would not want to know. I'd be happier in the dark.

Another one who wouldn't want to know if it was a one night stand, but would want to know if it was ongoing. To me, a one night stand is a slip up - just a physical thing,
I didn't read this thread but what about passing on STDs (including HPV). Wouldn't you want to know? Many women find out about their spouses "slip ups" in the gynocologist office.

Exactly! Do you really want your spouse to stick around because of FEAR? I guess I've never felt the need to threaten my husband, we have such an open, honest marriage and we're also mature enought to realize that it's ok to look at an attractive person opposite sex and admit we find them attractive and it doesn't mean we want to sleep with them. 20 years ago, yes I was extremely jealous and insecure, but I've grown up a lot (will be 40 in 2 months, yikes!) and love where we are at in our relationship. He travels frequently for work and goes to dinner, lunches, etc. with female colleagues and I have absolutely no fear or doubt that he would ever cross the line. Besides, he has ME, why would he even want to?? ;)

OT, 40 is just GREAT. I've never felt better or more secure about myself. Much more confidence.

I am surprised by the number of posters who "threatened" their spouses before getting married with what they would do if there was ever cheating and those who continually say things to their spouses or friends about they will leave immediately, etc. DH and I talk about everything. We always have. We know each other backwards and forwards and inside out. YET, we never talked about this. I don't know it seems like if I were to say "if you ever cheat . . ." I would be indicating I think that is likely and he NEEDS a threat to keep it in check. Since I don't think it is likely at all, why threaten? I also do not say "if you ever murder someone I am leaving instantly" or "If you ever take our life savings to Vegas and blow it all in one night I will destroy all of your prized pocessions and then leave you." It just doesn't make sense to me. I guess part of it to me is that when DH and I got married we saw it as our whole lives are now intertwined--not just our sex lives; so their are plenty of things which COULD betray our trust in each other--not just this one--and by getting married we were committing to be there for each other in so many ways that signaling out this one seems silly.

If it's happened to you in a previous relationship, it's always in the back of your mind. I used to think that my ex would never cheat on me. My MIL used to say that he thought the sun didn't rise until I got up. No one could believe it when it actually happened after 13 years of marriage. I hadn't discussed that cheating was a no no before marriage thinking that was just a given.

So, yes, DH and I did have that discussion before we married. He knew what I'd been through. So, up front, I asked him that if he was ever tempted to cheat, to let me know he wanted out of the relationship in advance. I couldn't bear to go through that situation a second time. He knows that cheating is the end of the line for me. And while I hope and pray that he would not cheat on me, I never say never anymore. I know I'm committed but I can't predict anyone else's behavior except my own. It's not a threat--it's a consequence of that particular course of action.

No, I understand your point and I said that I assume that he doesn't have a problem with it. I, on the other hand, would. Drug use, alcoholism, and adultery are all deal breakers for me. However, as an adult, I don't think it's any of my partner's business what I eat. There is a HUGE difference between eating something that your partner wouldn't approve of and committing adultery.

Not to sound snarky but obviously you DON'T understand. And really I'm not sure how else I can spell it out. For him food IS the drugs, alcohol, and adultery. They are one in the same, a lie is a lie, and cheating is cheating. It's a life or death situation at this point. Just because he chooses to do that with food instead of drugs or adultery that makes it ok in your book? Is it not my business if he's killing himself? You either get that or you don't.

I see eating no different from drinking or drugging if it's part of an addiction.

:thumbsup2

Not to sound snarky but obviously you DON'T understand. And really I'm not sure how else I can spell it out. For him food IS the drugs, alcohol, and adultery. They are one in the same, a lie is a lie, and cheating is cheating. It's a life or death situation at this point. Just because he chooses to do that with food instead of drugs or adultery that makes it ok in your book? Is it not my business if he's killing himself? You either get that or you don't.

:thumbsup2
It's your relationship. If he's okay with it and you're okay with it, then it works for both of you. On the other hand, if you post in a couple of weeks "My Husband Ate A Big Mac And Didn't Tell Me", I'm not going to be moved to give the same sympathy that I would give to someone who said "My Husband Is Cheating On Me." And I don't think a court of law would see it as grounds for divorce.
I would not be okay with someone telling me what I could and couldn't eat and I would consider it controlling for someone to tell me that. But, if he was the one who came to you and told you that he wanted to change his eating habits, I can also see it as your being supportive of him.

It's your relationship. If he's okay with it and you're okay with it, then it works for both of you. On the other hand, if you post in a couple of weeks "My Husband Ate A Big Mac And Didn't Tell Me", I'm not going to be moved to give the same sympathy that I would give to someone who said "My Husband Is Cheating On Me." And I don't think a court of law would see it as grounds for divorce.
I would not be okay with someone telling me what I could and couldn't eat and I would consider it controlling for someone to tell me that. But, if he was the one who came to you and told you that he wanted to change his eating habits, I can also see it as your being supportive of him.

Not to mention, I think it's just a teensy bit easier not to fall into bed with someone than it is to not cheat on a diet. :laughing: My word, if I had to worry about my husband leaving me every time I put the wrong food in my mouth, I'd have to be locked up in the insane asylum. Or be put in jail for murdering him, but that's beside the point.

Wow. I think this may be the first time I have ever agreed with you:lmao: I have never, ever for even a moment had any reason whatsoever to suspect that my husband has or will cheat on me. But if he did I think (and hope) that he would tell me. We have that kind of respect for each other and that kind of honesty in our relationship. And, I do not think a "one night stand" could extinguish the intense love I have for him--nor his for me. So, I would think we would work through it. I am sure it would be devistating and difficult---but giving up on us because of one mistake, ANY mistake, seems much more devistating to me.

As far as someone else knowing and telling me. Yeah, I guess I would want to know (for the health reasons at teh very least). I would hoe my friends would give DH a week or so to tell me himself first and I would hope you would really know hat you were talking about if you did. If DH cheated and did not tell me himself that would hurt me much more than if he did tell me (I think--don't really know thank goodness).

As to the new question. I honestly cannot quite imagine DH having said to me "I hope I never cheat on you." Both of us believe we absolutely won't cheat--why else would we be married. But I know sometimes things happen you do not believe will and sometimes we humans do things we do not think we ever will.

I have never once "threatened" my DH about cheating. I told him before we were married that cheating is a deal breaker for me. He knows my background and my childhood.

I have enough respect for myself not to allow that type of person in my life. If someone wants to act like that, it ain't gonna be with me. :thumbsup2

If it's happened to you in a previous relationship, it's always in the back of your mind. I used to think that my ex would never cheat on me. My MIL used to say that he thought the sun didn't rise until I got up. No one could believe it when it actually happened after 13 years of marriage. I hadn't discussed that cheating was a no no before marriage thinking that was just a given.

So, yes, DH and I did have that discussion before we married. He knew what I'd been through. So, up front, I asked him that if he was ever tempted to cheat, to let me know he wanted out of the relationship in advance. I couldn't bear to go through that situation a second time. He knows that cheating is the end of the line for me. And while I hope and pray that he would not cheat on me, I never say never anymore. I know I'm committed but I can't predict anyone else's behavior except my own. It's not a threat--it's a consequence of that particular course of action.

Exactly. You do X, this will happen. In this case, it's you cheat, I will divorce you.

And yes, for me, it's a very black and white issue ~ no grey area at all.

I understand that YOU would not be ok with it - you don't have a food addiction do you? If somebody was trying to tell me what I could and couldn't do for no apparent reason I'd be upset too. But that isn't the case here. I think the point has been missed that I'm not telling him what he can and can not eat. We made the decision together. We decided that we BOTH were changing our habits. And what the new habits would be. I'm not controlling him in the slightest. Far from it. We are holding each other to the same standards.

What I'm getting frustrated with is that you don't seem to understand how serious the problem can be for some people. Like it's no big deal, with a 'oh it's only a burger' mentality. It's an addiction - I don't feel like you're getting that. For him it is life and death situation. One burger away from a heart attack and possibly death. Some of his numbers are so high (cholesterol and the like) that they can't even read them anymore - yea to me that's a BIG deal.

So damn right if I catch him cheating I'd seriously consider getting a lawyer. Would you stay with someone killing themselves through addiction? Would you want to put your kids through that?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Anyway - I feel like this thread has been hijacked enough by me trying to explain that food can be and is an addiction for some. I'd be more than happy to further the conversation through PM, if anyone wishes to. But I'm done on here.

I don't understand dealbreakers in marriage. We don't have any I guess because we committed to always be together. While there could be something that would break the marriage, I can't imagine making a list of possibilities. We did the opposite and promised each other that any issues (we were not specific) that came up we would promise to go to counseling and do our best to mend it.

I know of three marriages personally that are surviving an infidelity. If I were to make the call from what I know, I think I would have definitely tried to work it out in only one of those cases, maybe a second after a very long separation and lots of counseling, and would've kicked the third to the curb because he was a pig and no amount of counseling can change that even if he would go.

As for the OP's question, yes, I would want to know.

I honestly don't think a lot of us know what we would do if put in this situation. I've been married over half of my life and have spent most of my marriage saying I would never forgive infidelity. In the past year, my DH did some things that I consider unfaithful -- he does not, although he does think some of his actions crossed the line and that he caused harm and danger to our marriage. When put in this position, I found that things are not as black and white as I had always thought. I also discovered that I want to forgive him more than I want to leave him.

Yes, I wanted to know about these things and I would want to know about an affair, too.

I agree with you 100%. I find that as I get older and have more life experiences that everything is not so black and white-at least not for me. When I was a newlywed, it was easy to say 'never this' or never that but 15 years and a few kids later...who knows what would happen. I do know that pretty much every married person I know swears that their spouse would never cheat but yet the statistics are what? Over 50% of married people cheat. To answer the original question-I would want to find out on my own and deal with it in my own time and on my own terms.

I'd want to find out on my own. I don't want someone else telling me....they might be wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter