"Speak English" Sign OK at Philly Steak Shop

I am surprised that no one has mentioned this..I saw a special on Food Network about Geno's and Pat's...At Geno's if you dont order correctly, you get sent to the back of the line..

Quote from this website.. http://media.www.diamondbackonline..../2006/07/13/News/Whiz-Wit.Style-2325717.shtml
The cheesesteak culture does not stop at the food quality. The ordering process itself is an art form; if performed incorrectly, could mean going home with an empty stomach. A customer needs to order "wit" or "wit out" in regards to their onion preference. At Geno's, customers get sent to the back of the line for so much as ordering a sandwich incorrectly.

He will kick people to the back even when they order in English. Are we going to get upset at this now?
I agree with many posters about the coming to our country, learn our language. If I was to go to Mexico, I know they will not cater to me, and I need to learn to adapt.

Forgot to mention... Are we also going to get upset for the fact that he sells Freedom Fries instead of French Fries??

I already knew this, but am happy others do now.

I think it is excellent.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned this..I saw a special on Food Network about Geno's and Pat's...At Geno's if you dont order correctly, you get sent to the back of the line..

Quote from this website.. http://media.www.diamondbackonline..../2006/07/13/News/Whiz-Wit.Style-2325717.shtml

He will kick people to the back even when they order in English. Are we going to get upset at this now?
I agree with many posters about the coming to our country, learn our language. If I was to go to Mexico, I know they will not cater to me, and I need to learn to adapt.

Forgot to mention... Are we also going to get upset for the fact that he sells Freedom Fries instead of French Fries??

Not really true. been to the place dozens of times and it has never happened while I am there. They DO "rib" you about it, though.

That's not really 100% true. Geno's prides itself on getting customers through the line quickly (hence the "with/without", etc). If a customer gets to the window and hasn't yet made up their mind, or asks silly questions like "what kind of cheese do you have", they'll brush the person to the end of the line until they can make up their mind.

That's not really 100% true. Geno's prides itself on getting customers through the line quickly (hence the "with/without", etc). If a customer gets to the window and hasn't yet made up their mind, or asks silly questions like "what kind of cheese do you have", they'll brush the person to the end of the line until they can make up their mind.

Yes, and I understand that. I was just trying to make the that point. What I dont understand is how people are getting upset over a sign being posted, however no one has said anything about people being put to the back of the line..Is that not the same thing? Maybe I just view it differently..

Yes, and I understand that. I was just trying to make the that point. What I dont understand is how people are getting upset over a sign being posted, however no one has said anything about people being put to the back of the line..Is that not the same thing? Maybe I just view it differently..

Maybe because it is so similar to a Seinfeld episode???? No cheesesteak for you -- back of the line.

Sorry couldn't resist.

you know, all this argument over a sign that has been up for almost 3 YEARS. Geez, you don't like the sign, don't eat there but if the food is good, I'll eat there.

I grew ina very diverse city, where as someone who spoke English, and only English, I was the minority. My sister thinks it was a waste I never learned Spanish so I could talk to everyone around but they spoke English to me and I understand enough to know what they were saying if I wanted to. I refuse to learn Spanish to get by in my hometown. Half the city has Spanish only signs and they speak no English inside. but I love the Latino families. I had the best Latino friends growing up and never would say anything about them speaking Spanish around me, never bothered me. I almost miss the diversity, but then I look at my new location and new life and love it!

90% of people have decended from someone who immigrated here, heck my DH is a 1st generation American born. His mom speaks English and his grandmother still wokrs on it. She does not expect me to speak Vietnamese to her. She speaks English to me. He has an Aunt that has been here for 4 yrs and doesn't feel the need to speak any more English than she has to. Gosh forbid she was in an accident or ever had to call 911. She wouldn't be able to tell them what was wrong.

At my winter job, if you don't tell us in English what you want, we ahve no clue?? None of us speak another language except for a few students taking it in school. I meet people from all over the world and they all speak to me in English, If I could speak to them in their language I would. I told my DH he cannot take our kids to Vietnam until they know the basics of that language. Enough to ask for things and say Thank you. I will not ahve them ignorant.

Asking you to order in English is not a big deal, I could see if it said "You must speak English at all time near or at this establishment" but maybe they people taking the orders don't understand anything other than English. Not a big deal!

As a child and a teen, I spent many, many summers in Europe due to having relatives there.

And yes, when I was in their countries, I did my best to always order in the language of the country. I had my English/French, English/German, English/Dutch and English/Italian dictionaries with me to help out.

I was always taught it was rude to expect the host countries to cater (demand) my language. If I was a guest in their country, I spoke their language. Or at least tried to.

So, yes. When people are here, I do expect the same respect to our country as I was taught to show the countries I visited.

It would be extremely arrogant for an American to go abroad and expect the host countries to be fluent in your language and to cater to you. Just as I find it extremely arrogant of some that demand our country cater to their language preferences.

If you are here, learn English. Or at least get a English/Whatever dictionary and try. I will bend over backwards for anybody who is at least trying.

This says it all, except I would add that you can buy very tiny electronic multi-language translators as well and they are an enormous help.

I am not fluent in any language other than English. Yet I have traveled to many countries where other languages are spoken and I've gotten along just fine. In a country like Belgium, you can find 3 languages in one single country.

I have never once expected anyone to speak English. If they do, that's a bonus for me. Before I go, I get a phrase book and learn the basics. Words like exit, ticket, train station, and stop are good ones to know. I look at the restaurant section to learn basic phrases. What's water, wine, bread, chicken, beef, potatoes, etc.? My first phrase is "mineral water without gas, with ice." :thumbsup2 I also carry that small section with me or take the translator. I may not be able to figure out everything on the menu, but I can usually spot something. Yes, I occasionally get something a bit different than what I imagined, but that happens here too and it's part of the adventure. So far, the most languages we've had to cover the basics on for a trip is 5, but that was a month long trip.

When we went to Russia, I knew good and well we'd be out of luck expecting English. I taught myself the Cyrillic alphabet so I could at least sound out words and figure them out from there. DH and I successfully ordered food and drink, bought tickets and even navigated the subway system. All in Russian. And we even mastered their convoluted system of buying bread and pastries, with its multiple step system and little slips of paper, all the while understanding very little of what was spoken.

This is what you do when you visit another country. If I chose to live in another country, that would just be the tip of the iceberg. But at a minimum, one should be able to order simple food and drink with a "please," followed by "thank you" when it arrives, in the native language of the country you are in. This is SIMPLE COURTESY. To expect a restaurant owner to accomodate various languages is discourteous. And in this case, it will definitely slow down his fast-moving line. DH and I have stood off to the side many times, figuring out how to order in another language, before we entered the ordering line. Again, it was simple courtesy. It is not arrogant of the restaurant owner to want orders placed in English. It is arrogant for people to expect to be catered to in any language other than English. If the owner wishes to take that extra step and help out non-English speakers as they work through an order, then as I said....It is not something owed to them, but is instead a bonus. You can always point to a picture of a sandwich or one that someone else is eating and say, "Please."

I contrast this to the travesty of what is going on in Texas, where we have restaurants in which you have a difficult time ordering food because the wait staff speaks such poor English. Not long ago, I had to add yet another drive-thru to our "don't go there" list because it took me four very long, slow, clearly enunciated attempts to try and determine whether or not the cheeseburger had anything on it other than meat and cheese. I finally had to say, "I....CAN...NOT....UNDER...STAND....WHAT....YOU....ARE....SAY...ING..." I eventually heard a word that sounded like "picka" and asked very slowly, "Are you trying to tell me that the cheesburger only comes with pickles and that it doesn't have any onions and tomatoes?" "Uhhhhh....Yeah....." It goes on from there, but I hate to relive the memory. The problem is especially acute at drive-thrus. If you haven't lived it, you may think I'm exaggerating, but I am not. When it gets to the point that you cannot order in English (and I'm not even talking about a Mexican restaurant) when you're in an American restaurant, we have a serious problem. (BTW, it is not a predominantly Hispanic area. Businesses just hire them because they work cheaper.)

So I understand the business owner wanting people to order in English, just as I would order in French, Russian or Italian when visiting those countries. And I'd also appreciate being able to order in English in America. What a novel concept!

No need to feel sorry for me or sarcastically roll your eyes. When I visit another country, I learn enough of the language to get by as a visitor, I carry a English/Foreign Language translating dictionary which I refer to when necessary. This far, I have been to Spain, Portugal, Germany and Italy (Ireland too but they pretty much speak English there) and have done just fine, been able to eat, been able to take public transportation, been able to get around.

In other words, I respect the fact that no other country owes me anything.

I actually 100% agree with you. I guess I was thinking that 'Philly Cheesesteak' or whatever the foodstuffs are that they serve here may not be a 'basic phrase' that you'd pick up in your language class or book.
I've been to several countries myself. I can tell you that I cannot read Arabic yet. Learning a whole alphabet is difficult.

When I went to Spain & Portugal, I learned enough of both of them to be able to get by in each country.

Yes, I can get by in all of the countries you've visited, no problem (I was just trying to prove a point before). However, if we go up to the Flemish-speaking part of Belgium, I am in 'stupid American' mode. Flemish is not a widely used language, and I haven't had the need to learn it. I am lucky we live in the French-speaking part of Belgium.

Not everyone who who visits his restaurant LIVES here.

The more I think about it, how many ways are there really to say Cheesesteak? Bifteck au Fromage?:lmao: Filete con queso?
No, not all his customers live here.
But it was mainly put up because of the LOCALS that refuse to speak english.

And like a previous poster pointed out...that sign has been up for a few years.

I am avoiding reading this entire thread, but did anyone consider that one probably has to speak English to read the darned sign in the first place? :confused3

OK I haven't read every post but here is my take:

He is a business man and all the business men I know hope to make money. If someone is trying to order in another language and he can not understand them it is going to take longer thus costing him more money to serve the non-English speaking customer. PLus, losing customers behind the non-English speaking one because the line is getting longer. Also, several have stated about the liability factor.

I live in an area which is heavily populated with hispanics. Many go into restaurants and take quite awhile to order because of the language barrier. I do not see this as the business owners fault. In fact, last week I was in a small family-owned restaurant and a couple came in trying to order and they kept saying "No hablas Englais". (not sure on the spelling) The owner had no idea what they were trying to say. My DD who is in her third year of Spanish told the couple the owner didn't speak Spanish and they would have to order in English and THEY DID! Later she told me she would have helped them order if they had asked, but most of us in the area know that many (not most) hispanics don't want to use English unless they have to.

Good Morning!

I haven't read the whole thread, so I am just going to insert my two cents here, it may have already been written, so sorry in advance.

I listened to Geno on the radio yesterday morning and he was obviously very happy that he had "won" this little battle. He doesn't refuse service, if the person taking the order doesn't understand the person ordering, they get the next item off the grill, they don't get sent to the back of the line.

Also in response to the poster who asked, "how do you translate philly cheesesteak into different languages?" You don't order a "Philly Cheesesteak", per se, you order "beef with whiz, provolone, or swiss", or "chicken" with the same choices, then you say raw or fried onions, peppers or no peppers etc. So you would only have to know the items that you are ordering (like a list), not the "concept" which is a Philly Cheesesteak.

He also said he has never refused service, of course he would have had lots of problems if he did so.

Anyway, as a resident philly burbanite, I just wanted to add my thoughts!

Disney Doll,

I have seen second language learners lose their culture by speaking only English (as is expected in our schools and apparently in some of our restaurants, and many other places I'm sure) and not using their native language. I've seen young children who can not speak to their grandparents due to a language barrier. In the orignial situation we are not talking about using English as a part of their job or their education (both professional type environments) but in ordering a sandwich. If we require second language learners to use English when doing something as natural and relaxed as ordering food then when is it okay to practice their native language? Loss of culture is a problem when we start talking about an english only society

You don't lose your entire culture by learning to speak English. Your culture includes your traditions as well and you can keep those alive w/o keeping to your native tongue. When we were kids, my grandparents and Dad spoke Polish when they didn't want the kids to know what they're talking about. To this day, I can speak some Polish and do so around my Dad. It's not lengthy Polish discussions, but I will throw some words out and he will, too. We still go to the local Market to buy our Easter goods (just like my great grandparents did), we still have a traditional Polish Christmas and Easter w/foods from "the old country". I cannot believe that people lose their entire culture b/c of learning to speak English. Culture is far more than language.

I see many cultures alive and well in the US even if their languages aren't fluently spoken. I've been to the homes of my Italian, German, Hungarian friends and their families have kept their cultures alive w/o speaking the lanugage. If their cultures weren't alive, we wouldn't have the amazing restaurants, social clubs and festivals, etc. that we do. For example, do you think the entire Irish culture has been lost b/c Irish people in the US don't speak fluent Gaelic? Heck no ... take St. Patrick's Day ... lots of Irish step dancers, foods, traditions galore! Would you say that culture is lost? Take Dyngus Day here in Buffalo ... Polish tradition lives on. Go to the Broadway Market any day of the week and you'll see how Polish, German, etc. traditions live on ... Ukranian wood Easter eggs for sale, Kielbasa w/Marianka (marjoram) special for the holidays, willows for Dyngus Day. I don't know about other cities, but Buffalo really does keep its cultures alive and well.

You can practice your language at home, keep it alive through various clubs (in B'lo we have a Polish society, a Hungarian society, etc.). Why in the world would I want to go out and practice my Polish at a local restaurant where I wouldn't be understood? Shouldn't I go to Poland to practice? Or join a Polish club?

As for lanugage barriers between grandparents and children ... I didn't know a lick of Polish until I was prob. 6 yo. My Great Aunt came to the US at that time and stayed w/us for a year. I "caught on" to what my Great Aunt was saying. I might not have understood it word for word, but we got by on lots of sign/body language and laughs. I can't explain it ... but we got what each other was trying to get across whether it be from . She learned English from me and I learned Polish from her. It is amazing how kids can find ways to communicate through other mediums besides language.
I've been through Paris when no one would help me at the airport as I spoke only english. I didn't have such nice things to say about the French when I returned. The Italians and the Germans on the other hand were wonderful and truly made me feel welcome in their countries
Oh god .. nothing like slapping a sterotype on an entire country. I remember being in Paris w/my Grandmother and she tried to ask a question in English. People were ignoring her so I stepped in and said "Excuse moi .. parlez vous Anglais?" and you'd be amazed at the POSITIVE responses I got just because I made an attempt in their language!!!!!! Why should the French have to answer ANYONE when they're not speaking their language? Why should I answer someone speaking a language I didn't understand in my country? If I felt that I wasn't going to help you, is it better for me to stand there and waste a half-hour of both our time if nothing will be accomplished!? If someone started speaking a language that wasn't understandable, most people would walk away. I get so tired of the "the French are so rude" ... maybe they're not rude ... just less tolerant of people who don't attempt to speak their language in their country.
It may have been arrogant, but I didn't learn basic French.
You don't have to learn basic French. One sentence "Parlais vous Anglais" is all you'd have to know ... that means "Do you speak English?"
I am saddened that foreign people have such a bad view of Americans (and by all reports some do) and think it could partially be because of attitudes like those expressed by the man with the english only sign
No -- you're wrong. The reason that many foreigners have disdain for Americans is b/c so many Americans expect the citizens of foreign countries to speak English and cater to Americans in English. They "hate" Americans b/c we don't attempt to communicate in their language. Can you blame them?

You know, I have lived in 2 different foreign countries. I lived in Mexico for 3 summers when I was a teenager to visit my aunt and then in Germany for almost 4 years when I was an adult.
I never once tried to speak English to the locals. I always did my very best to order, ask for directions, etc. in the native language. I never thought of doing it any other way.
That being said, I don't mind when a tourist comes into my office from another country and wants to speak either Spanish or German to me. Heck, I even know a little Italian and will try my best to help them if I can. But, the one thing that does irk me is someone that lives in America and cannot speak English at all. That just makes no sense. They are relying on us to learn THEIR language.
If you are going to visit a country, that's one thing, but if you are going to live there, then that's another.

I am so glad you all think you could master 5 languages before going on a 2 week trip!

Who said you need to master a language to go on a vaca to Europe? Know a few phrases, use your dictionary and study some menus to order food correctly. Most people in Europe are v. happy to assist you WHEN they see you making an effort in their language. Many will want to practice their English on you and you'd be amazed what people might do. When I was in Italy, I used my one catch phrase "Dove ..." and I had this guy and girl take me to where I wanted to go and they stuck around and gave me an amazing tour of Rome. If I didn't attempt, I wouldn't have seen half the things they showed me which were off the beaten path for most tourists. They were happy to practice English on me and help me along.

You know, I have lived in 2 different foreign countries. I lived in Mexico for 3 summers when I was a teenager to visit my aunt and then in Germany for almost 4 years when I was an adult.
I never once tried to speak English to the locals. I always did my very best to order, ask for directions, etc. in the native language. I never thought of doing it any other way.
That being said, I don't mind when a tourist comes into my office from another country and wants to speak either Spanish or German to me. Heck, I even know a little Italian and will try my best to help them if I can. But, the one thing that does irk me is someone that lives in America and cannot speak English at all. That just makes no sense. They are relying on us to learn THEIR language.
If you are going to visit a country, that's one thing, but if you are going to live there, then that's another.

I totally agree. :thumbsup2

MOMOF3DISNEYHOLICS:
Totally OT (sorry) but I love your signature. It makes me miss living in FLA. (shhh, don't tell DH I said that!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter