Spas?

Willowtrees

Mouseketeer
I have read that there is a spa at the swan dolphin, but is there any other on Disney property? I am going with the family and my MIL and FIL, but would love to suprise my husband and sneak away without kids and have us both get massages or something else fun and romantic.

there is a spa at the Grand Floridian and at Saratoga Springs.

I am looking forward to trying the Mandara Spa at the Swan / Dolphin on our trip in October. We've been to the Mandara Spa at Portofino Bay (Universal Studios) and it was the best one we've ever tried! Their hot stone massage was bliss!

you can get a massage at any of the DVC resorts.

BWV, BCV, OKW, SSR, VWL

I think you can also get on at CSR.

the in room massages cost more.

you can only get a couples massage at the GF.

while i havn't had a disney massage, the one i did get was the best use of an afternoon ever! i highly recomend one!!! i havn't decided yet if i'm going to get one while i'm at disney this spring. anyone know how far in advance you need to book? i.e. if i decide mid trip to get a massage will i have a problem making an appointment?

no - most places only require a 24 to 48 hours reservation.

I would call when you get there!

We go with two other couples every year and one day we always designate as the Spa Day. My wife talked the guys into it the first year and now its a staple. The GF has an excellent spa and they always treat you great! The SSR also is nice, but for my $, GF is better. If your planning on a surprise for you husband, try the mens facial (maybe called a sports facial?) and a pedicure. I get those everytime and now I'm hooked. Book him in the am for a half day and then take him to lunch. It's great for a mid-week break!

Enjoy- :goodvibes

-Sorry, just re-read your post 'fun and romantic'. We've never done a couples massage, the pedicures could still be a way to go...?

There is also a canyon ranch spa at Gaylord Palms...it is fantastic.

rucorey said:
We go with two other couples every year and one day we always designate as the Spa Day. My wife talked the guys into it the first year and now its a staple. The GF has an excellent spa and they always treat you great! The SSR also is nice, but for my $, GF is better. If your planning on a surprise for you husband, try the mens facial (maybe called a sports facial?) and a pedicure. I get those everytime and now I'm hooked. Book him in the am for a half day and then take him to lunch. It's great for a mid-week break!

Enjoy- :goodvibes

-Sorry, just re-read your post 'fun and romantic'. We've never done a couples massage, the pedicures could still be a way to go...?

I just had this conversation with my best friend who lives in St. Cloud (just outside of Orlando). I am planning on escaping by myself to Disney and ask if she wanted to do a spa day like we used to do when neither of our lives were consumed by everyday stresses :crazy: . Of course she jumped at that!! :banana: Now I just have to see when I can escape.

I am thinking of leaving my cell phone, 2 pagers and all other communication devices at home :badpc: .

spiceycat said:
you can get a massage at any of the DVC resorts.

BWV, BCV, OKW, SSR, VWL

I think you can also get on at CSR.

the in room massages cost more.

you can only get a couples massage at the GF.

There is a couple's treatment package at SSR. It consists of an aromatherapy massage and a hydrotherapy treatment for each person, as well as tea service.

The Mandara Spa at the Swan & Dolphin also offers a couples treatment...

Time for Two Massage - 50 minute aromatic massage and then 30 minutes in a private hydrotherapy tub. They also give you a departure gift!

It sounds similar to what's offered at SSR...but I thought the prices at both the GF and SSR seemed pricey for some of the services. I don't have the pricing menu for the Swan / Dolphin, but this past fall we were at the Mandara at Portofino Bay and I paid $135 for a 75 minute hot stone massage compared to $185 for an 80 minute Adirondack stone massage that's offered at SSR. I don't know about you guys, but I'm not sure an extra 5 minutes is worth $50. :teeth:

Having said that...let's not kid ourselves about price - these places are all expensive. But I'll still take the Mandara over the two WDW spas - I love the Indonesian influence and philosophies that they utilize, and while I'm willing to pay more there on vacation than I would at my local spa here at home, the price list at the GF and SSR strikes me as somewhat excessive.

I looked up the price of the couples treatment at SSR and they want $400 for it. I'm still waiting to hear back from the Mandara at the Swan / Dolphin for their couples treatment, but I'd be surprised if it's that much.

I'll be sure to let you know!

Brenda the spa junkie, signing off for now. :goodvibes

If you're choosing between Disney spas I vote for SS not GF. GF is much smaller and I felt crowded there. Last time I checked it was also more expensive than the GF. I also want to try the Mandarin spa, it sounds amazing.

MiknMinMouse said:
If you're choosing between Disney spas I vote for SS not GF. GF is much smaller and I felt crowded there. Last time I checked it was also more expensive than the GF. I also want to try the Mandarin spa, it sounds amazing.

Once I get their price list I'll be happy to share! :goodvibes

Still waiting on the full spa list from Mandara, but they did email me with the price for their Time for Two couples treatment that I mentioned in an earlier post.

This treatment is $300 per couple at Mandara versus $400 per couple at Saratoga Springs (granted there are differences but I believe they are minor ones).

I know where we're going in October - Mandara make room for the DH and me! :love:

Heads up - you can make ressies 3 months in advance at Mandara.

Brenda

oybolshoi said:
Still waiting on the full spa list from Mandara, but they did email me with the price for their Time for Two couples treatment that I mentioned in an earlier post.

This treatment is $300 per couple at Mandara versus $400 per couple at Saratoga Springs (granted there are differences but I believe they are minor ones).

I know where we're going in October - Mandara make room for the DH and me! :love:

Heads up - you can make ressies 3 months in advance at Mandara.

Brenda

Sounds like there is quite a big difference. At SSR, each person is getting two full treatments. The hydrotherapy treatment is an underwater massage, given by the massage therapist while the other person is getting their massage. It's not just private time in the jacuzzi. There is tea time inbetween treatments, then you switch. These treatments happen in the same room, at the same time. :)

DH & I just returned from 7 day land and sea. While in Disney, DH and I had ressies at the GF, DH for a sports massage ($135.) and I had the Spa Manicure and Pedicure ($110.) Simply put IT WAS HEAVEN. We both thoroughly enjoyed the services we received. The staff at GF was so nice and very professional. My services were to be one hour....90 minutes and DH's was to be 55 mins and his was 90 minutes as well. They took plenty of time with each of us and never felt like there was a waiting room full of customers (even though there was)..in a word FABULOUS!! I went to pay and asked the clerk based on the services roughly what a good tip would be and she said anything you want from nothing to any dollar amount. I gave each $30.00 tip as we felt they both (therapists) were wonderful.

On our CRUISE we made ressies at Castaway Cay for the Couples Massage and it was absolutely HEAVENLY. Laying on the beds, having a massage and drink, while the sun is shining and a soft wind blowing gently through the Cabana was the absolute BEST ever!!! Two outstanding massage experiences in DISNEY!!!!

We will be repeating this entire experience NEXT Feb 2007!!! :love: :love:

Aimee K said:
Sounds like there is quite a big difference. At SSR, each person is getting two full treatments. The hydrotherapy treatment is an underwater massage, given by the massage therapist while the other person is getting their massage. It's not just private time in the jacuzzi. There is tea time inbetween treatments, then you switch. These treatments happen in the same room, at the same time. :)

If I misunderstood the SSR description then you're right, it's a pretty significant difference. I read the descripion of the hydrotherapy treatments in the SSR brochure to be a massage directed by the jets in the tub rather than by a therapist performing an actual massage while the client is in the water. But I've never had hydrotherapy (more's the pity) so perhaps I am misinterpreting the information.

With either package you can't go wrong, it just depends on the type of experience you and your SO want to have. Go spa!!! :teeth:

I think we'll still go with Mandara.

They have a couples suite which includes a meditation garden and a treatment room where you can also have treatments together. I like the idea that DH and I will be sharing our massage experience simultaneously. And I love the idea that we will share a bath together (with no one else around!). ;)

This is the actual treatment description from the TimetoSpa magazine I get each month:

After a glass of rich red wine, enjoy an aromatic massage side by side and then an Elemis Exotic Island Flower Bath together. You will also be given a bottle of Elemis' sensual Exotic Frangipani Moisture Melt to take with you.

BTW, Momrek06 - those cabana massages on Castaway Cay are to die for, aren't they? I wish I was there right now!! :goodvibes

oybolshoi said:
If I misunderstood the SSR description then you're right, it's a pretty significant difference. I read the descripion of the hydrotherapy treatments in the SSR brochure to be a massage directed by the jets in the tub rather than by a therapist performing an actual massage while the client is in the water. But I've never had hydrotherapy (more's the pity) so perhaps I am misinterpreting the information.

With either package you can't go wrong, it just depends on the type of experience you and your SO want to have. Go spa!!! :teeth:

I think we'll still go with Mandara.

They have a couples suite which includes a meditation garden and a treatment room where you can also have treatments together. I like the idea that DH and I will be sharing our massage experience simultaneously. And I love the idea that we will share a bath together (with no one else around!). ;)

This is the actual treatment description from the TimetoSpa magazine I get each month:

After a glass of rich red wine, enjoy an aromatic massage side by side and then an Elemis Exotic Island Flower Bath together. You will also be given a bottle of Elemis' sensual Exotic Frangipani Moisture Melt to take with you.

BTW, Momrek06 - those cabana massages on Castaway Cay are to die for, aren't they? I wish I was there right now!! :goodvibes

That does sound nice. I am a Massage Therapist at SSR, so I can assure you, that the hydrotherapy treatments at SSR are therapist given. The couples treatment is also in the same room. One person is on the table while the other is in the tub, then you switch.

I like your advice! Go Spa!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter