Spain Pavilion Rumour due to "Gigantic"

britdis

Earning My Ears
There's an interesting rumour doing the rounds elsewhere at the moment that doesn't seem to have cropped up on here yet.

Apparently WDW were looking at creating a new pavilion at Epcot and had it down to either Portugal or Spain, to appeal to the latin south American crowd. At the same time Gigantic was being developed and countries such as Italy, Spain, Holland & Portugal were being considered for it's setting.

Once Spain was confirmed for the movie setting, that tipped the balance for the Spanish Pavilion as it means that they have a Disney Movie to tie into it.

I'm guessing that construction won't even begin until Pandora is finished but hopefully this is true as Spain seems to be a popular choice by people wanting new pavilion.

Holland would have been nice. They get quite a few tourists from there too and I would have selfishly enjoy it. :)

Spain would be good too though. I hope that you're right and that they actually show us Spain rather than what's in an animated movie.

There's an interesting rumour doing the rounds elsewhere at the moment that doesn't seem to have cropped up on here yet.

Apparently WDW were looking at creating a new pavilion at Epcot and had it down to either Portugal or Spain, to appeal to the latin south American crowd. At the same time Gigantic was being developed and countries such as Italy, Spain, Holland & Portugal were being considered for it's setting.

Once Spain was confirmed for the movie setting, that tipped the balance for the Spanish Pavilion as it means that they have a Disney Movie to tie into it.

I'm guessing that construction won't even begin until Pandora is finished but hopefully this is true as Spain seems to be a popular choice by people wanting new pavilion.

"The Rule", people.

Wait a minute. Disney announces a new animated movie. Totally unproved box-office appeal, and only 24 hours later we are to believe that Epcot is getting a new Pavilion based on the fact that this unknown movie is sited there? When there have been vacant sites waiting to be deve!oped for decades? Right then. I'll add that to my next touring plan ASAP. Call me cynical, but I'll wait for some kind of semi official hinting before I start holding my breath.

Last edited:
"The Rule", people.

Wait a minute. Disney announces a new animated movie. Totally unproved box-office appeal, and only 24 hours later we are to believe that Epcot is getting a new Pavilion based on the fact that this unknown movie is sited there? When there have been vacant sites waiting to be deve!oped for decades? Right then. I'll add that to my next touring plan ASAP. Call me cynical, but I'll wait for some kind of semi official hinting before I start holding my breath.

I wouldn't hold my breath for anything semi-official as far as Epcot goes that isn't Frozen related. However, it's still fun to discuss rumors, even though 95% probably won't pan out. I don't think the OP meant to imply this one is definitely going to happen, but it would be nice if it did. Epcot has a few pads they could build on in World Showcase. With 3 of the 4 parks either recently expanded or expanding soon, that just leaves poor Epcot...which desperately needs more than a 3rd Soarin' theater and Frozen Norway to shine amongst the other parks.

Just don't see any current...or future...desire to add more countries on the management side...

There's a bar to meet in world showcase...the current management has shown no desire to meet it .

Apparently WDW were looking at creating a new pavilion at Epcot and had it down to either Portugal or Spain, to appeal to the latin south American crowd.

I don't put too much stock into this rumor, but if even remotely true, wouldn't a Brazil pavilion make more sense?

The only rumor that I have heard for Gigantic (a movie that is three years away; off the top of my head, please correct me if that's incorrect) is Jim Hill's long term rumor of the Frozen sisters moving to Norway, Merida moving into Fairytale Hall, and Gigantic moving into Fairytale Garden.

That's from his 2016 Unofficial Guide Disney Dish for the Magic Kingdom.

Spain was one of the few pavilion ideas that actually had a SIGN up in EPCOT Center stating that it was "coming soon"...around 1983 or 1984 IIRC

With the Agent P experience I think you are all overlooking the obvious choice of Drusselstein

images

I worked in Epcot in 1993/94 and there were many rumours about new countries then but nothing has been added since the 80s. Sadly, I think if Disney had any interest in doing so it would have happened in the last 25 years or so. I think we are more likely to see future world upgraded first and that's most likely some years away

Spain would be a nice addition to World Showcase, as well as other countries. However, where Epcot needs the most work is in Future World. Just to name a few:
- Something to replace Captain Eo
- For that matter, maybe reimagine the entire Journey Into Imagination...at least the labs
- Update Universe of Energy
- Figure out what to do with Innoventions
- Completely rework the monolith entrance area
- Do something useful with the Wonders of Life building, or tear it down. "Headquarters" for Flower and Garden isn't enough.
- Perhaps do something with the Odyssey area. I get that it is used for a lot of events though.

It sounds like major construction is tied up for awhile between Disney Springs and DHS. I hope Epcot is to follow, especially FW.

I worked in Epcot in 1993/94 and there were many rumours about new countries then but nothing has been added since the 80s. Sadly, I think if Disney had any interest in doing so it would have happened in the last 25 years or so. I think we are more likely to see future world upgraded first and that's most likely some years away

I would agree with you..

EPCOT was built with sponsorship deals in a pre Internet world that would never be paid now...when there were "good guys and bad guys" and governments spent because they thought that conflict was all that mattered.

The fact that they took the most recent pavilion and are halfway through gutting it for a gaudy princess overlay is all but the nail in the coffin - is it not?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter