• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spago or The Ivy

kaygela

<font color=coral>was having a blond moment at the
Friends told us that we should go to either Spago or The Ivy for a memorable meal. We will be celebrating my DS's girlfriend's birthday and she is totally starstruck. We will only have limited time in the LA area and i don't want to overbook us with things to do so I thought I would pick one to make a reservation at but I don't know which would be the better choice.
Opinions please.:thanks:

I haven't lived in LA for a L oooong time, but the IVY used to be a place that you'd see a lot of stars. I never went. I did go to the IVY by the Shore and saw Uma Thurman there. I never went to Spago (I think I went to every other Puck restaurant), but I never heard much about celebrity sightings there anyway. I was always a bit jaded anyhow and didn't seek out celebrities. But, I ran into a lot of them.

I used to see a lot of famous people - just in a lot of ordinary situations. Like the movie theater, restaurants (not necessarily the ones known for them), shopping on Montana (in Santa Monica), in the elevator where I used to work, driving on the road (saw George Hamilton and I think Migueal Ferrer.) There really are a lot of celebrities who live there and do regular things like you and me. And, eventually living there, you do see them.

kaygela, on our last trip to LA, we had a great meal at Spago, but did not see anyone famous. We had dinner one night at the Ivy and were seated near Rob Reiner ("Meathead" of Archie Bunker & Director), Marv Albert (Scandalized Sports Announcer), Natalie Cole (wearing sunglasses at night) and John Cougar Mellencamp & his gorgeous supermodel wife Elaine Irwin. Friends have told me you often see more celebs at lunch, since their publicists send them there as the paparazzi is literally parked out in front, so you might want to consider that. Their food is good, but they do rush you a bit. We also went to Morton's (where they hold the Academy Awards after party) and were seated right next to Kirk Douglas, an old idol of mine. Monday night is the power night at that restaurant if you're in town on that day.

But, on an aside, my best and most memorable celeb sighting in LA happened 16 years ago when DH and I were on our honeymoon. Gregory Peck stood in line directly in front of us while waiting for a table at Trader Vic's at the Beverly Hilton. He waited patiently for 20 minutes, like everyone else was doing without ever asking for special treatment. He was talking to all of us like we were old friends. He was so, so nice, genuine and personable and his wife was a doll. I don't know if any other star could top that one for me. Good luck and have fun.

suzannen said:
kaygela, on our last trip to LA, we had a great meal at Spago, but did not see anyone famous. We had dinner one night at the Ivy and were seated near Rob Reiner ("Meathead" of Archie Bunker & Director), Marv Albert (Scandalized Sports Announcer), Natalie Cole (wearing sunglasses at night) and John Cougar Mellencamp & his gorgeous supermodel wife Elaine Irwin. Friends have told me you often see more celebs at lunch, since their publicists send them there as the paparazzi is literally parked out in front, so you might want to consider that. Their food is good, but they do rush you a bit. We also went to Morton's (where they hold the Academy Awards after party) and were seated right next to Kirk Douglas, an old idol of mine. Monday night is the power night at that restaurant if you're in town on that day.

But, on an aside, my best and most memorable celeb sighting in LA happened 16 years ago when DH and I were on our honeymoon. Gregory Peck stood in line directly in front of us while waiting for a table at Trader Vic's at the Beverly Hilton. He waited patiently for 20 minutes, like everyone else was doing without ever asking for special treatment. He was talking to all of us like we were old friends. He was so, so nice, genuine and personable and his wife was a doll. I don't know if any other star could top that one for me. Good luck and have fun.
I always thought Gregory Peck was a class act and you just confirmed that. I have already called and made lunch reservations for one of the days that we will be out there so your post has gotten me very excited. Of course, having a good meal in what looks like a very pretty setting is important to us, but it would definately be fun to dine among some well known faces at the same time. :smooth:

Let us know if you do see anyone. We're going back out next summer and have already started debating whether to go for lunch or dinner.

suzannen said:
Let us know if you do see anyone. We're going back out next summer and have already started debating whether to go for lunch or dinner.
I'll make sure to report back.

Sadly, I don't have anything positive to report about The Ivy. A friend and I went this past May 2006. Saw absolutely no celebrities. The food was fine, but way overpriced. I had been really looking forward to it, but was disappointed.

Ivy is a bit hyped based on people hearing celebs go there. If you are in LA you may or may not see them just based on being at the right place. Ivy is on the extreme side of the price chart that's for sure. :bride: :groom:

I haven't been able to find any menus for The Ivy online. Does anyone know a site I could go to or can anybody give me an idea of what the prices are like? For instance, what would a lunchtime burger or salad be?

I don't think they have an online menu at least nothing I have ever seen. I do know you can count on spending over 20 bucks for each person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter