• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spaceship Earth's old glittery city...

NHTikiBeckie

DIS Veteran
I know this is random...and I do like the rehab to Spaceship Earth...but I sure do miss that pretty glittery city that was at the end as you descended! I wish they had kept that part :)

I had mentioned this in another thread at one point. I'm curious to know whether ir not it's in storage somewhere or if it's in the Disney graveyard.

I miss everything about the old SE. I loved how it was perfectly timed...JI's voice and "This, our Spaceship Earth" as you were turning around to see the big earth.

I miss the horse and rider, I miss the glittery city, I miss the scenes you used to see on the way down (with the friend in Japan talking to their friend in USA, etc). Now that part is just black and boring. The interactive part gets really old after the 10th ride!

I actually think the changes are improvements and as Spaceship Earth is part of Epcot, it should never remain the same.

As for doing the same things with the interactive part, we mix it up. No, we don't really care more about our house than our pets when we are gone but we still can choose that option. Wind or solar? Pick one and then the other. Then put it together with another option for city or country.

Honestly, this attraction was one of the first were you had about 54 different endings. It wasn't really Star Tours. Only difference was our imaginations. We control the ending, not Disney. So the only people we can "blame" looks out in the mirror every morning.

Next time, my husband and I are going to say we speak a different language and are from a country that isn't usually represented, like Antartica.

I actually think the changes are improvements and as Spaceship Earth is part of Epcot, it should never remain the same.

As for doing the same things with the interactive part, we mix it up. No, we don't really care more about our house than our pets when we are gone but we still can choose that option. Wind or solar? Pick one and then the other. Then put it together with another option for city or country.

Honestly, this attraction was one of the first were you had about 54 different endings. It wasn't really Star Tours. Only difference was our imaginations. We control the ending, not Disney. So the only people we can "blame" looks out in the mirror every morning.

Next time, my husband and I are going to say we speak a different language and are from a country that isn't usually represented, like Antartica.

So you do not miss the glittery city? BLASPHEMY! :rotfl2::lmao:

I wish the ride would get stuck at the top for a few minutes so I could stare at the globe. It still mesmerizes me.

I know this is random...and I do like the rehab to Spaceship Earth...but I sure do miss that pretty glittery city that was at the end as you descended! I wish they had kept that part :)

That was my favorite part. Everything after the ride turns around for your descent back down was my favorite. I love all the lines that went back and forth that I think were to represent the lines of communication, the moon, the glittery city.....

Even though I've always loved the ride and it was always one of my favorites, I really don't care if I ride or not now since they took out my favorite part. The whole ride is good, but the end just gave it that little extra that made it special. Its not so special anymore.

I miss the old SE too! I especially loved the downward part of the ride with all the sparkling lights and that music. The new stuff isn't bad, just not as great as the other version... Its kind of fun making wacky faces for the camera. I'll never forget how mad my sister got at me for changing the language of the narration to Portugese on our last SE ride of the trip... we had already gone on it a dozen times and I thought it was hilarious. :)

I miss the city and the associated scenes too, but I recognise that things change and I like the new ride too. I like both Jeremy Irons' and Dame Judi's voices too - am interested in Disney turning to very English voices to narrate the serious in this. I most miss the music from the final scenes but I did manage to download it from an unofficial disney site so I can play it to my heart's content (and shed a tear or two).

That was my favorite part. Everything after the ride turns around for your descent back down was my favorite. I love all the lines that went back and forth that I think were to represent the lines of communication, the moon, the glittery city.....

Even though I've always loved the ride and it was always one of my favorites, I really don't care if I ride or not now since they took out my favorite part. The whole ride is good, but the end just gave it that little extra that made it special. Its not so special anymore.

This is exactly how my family feels, too. The new ending is just stupid, in our opinions. Now it's just another interactive video game so it can be all about me, me, me. Whatever happened to appreciating the magic of being entertained instead of always having to be the center of attention?

I never got to see the gilttery city, but it sounds amazing! Does anybody have any pix they can post of it, or any part of the old ride?

Thanks so much!!

I have to admit that was one of my favorite scenes.

I miss the Roman horse and rider...

I'm confused...I'm pretty sure the horse is still there and the messenger. What was there before...I don't seem to remember.

I wish the ride would get stuck at the top for a few minutes so I could stare at the globe. It still mesmerizes me.

My feelings exactly. I wish the same thing...but it never happens there for me...it's always at the part where the kid is selling newspapers with his back to us.

Why can't I remember this glittery city? I definitely remember the children talking to each other from the US to Japan and the captions translating. That was my favorite scene! I was beyond sad when I realized they took it out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter