Spaceship Earth Refurbishment! Arg!!!

I've been there on a 9 day and with the exception of Test Track and Soarin, the other attractions had waits of 30 minutes or less. I don't think I waited longer than 20 for anything. Test Track and Soarin had waits of 180+ minutes! My only guess is that basically everyone in the park was in line waiting for Soarin or Test Track. Kind of crazy.

I wouldn't do Spaceship Earth first thing even if it is your #1 priority. On our 9 day we waited to do it until mid afternoon IIRC and we had to wait about 20 minutes. Probably about the longest we waited for any ride that day!

Thanks all. It definitely sounds do-able and I went ahead and even switched my ADR to the Rose and Crown with no trouble. I'm sure we'll have a great day!

Arg! I just had to change my Epcot day from August 19th with a crowd level of 5.6 to August 15th with a crowd level of 8! EEK!! The reason.......they have Spaceship Earth closed for refurbishments the week of the 18th to the 24th and my DDs would never forgive me if they missed this attraction. Why couldn't they wait just a couple of more weeks when the summer crowds all but disappear in Sept or Oct? This is selfish of me, I know.

How bad will the crowds be at a level of 8???? I don't think I 've ever been to a Disney Park on this busy of a day. Comments? Advice?

I have good news for you! According to Josh at Easywdw.com, Epcot is the most recommended park on the 15th... In my opinion, that is far more important that the silly numbers that Touring Plans provide (and change days before your trip). I have seen evidence of how important going to Easywdw.com's most recommended park, so in my humble opinion you shouldn't worry too much... Good luck!

We arrive the 21st and have the 22nd as an Epcot day so we'll miss it on that day unless they have a soft opening. We have PH tix so we'll hop over just to make sure we don't miss it after it re-opens.

I'm hoping for this myself. I apologize to everyone I swear I jinxed it for going this week to Disney. I'm doing three days before The Dis Cruise on the Oasis at the Swan and the 22nd is my Epcot day as well and I was really hoping going earlier than I usually do to Disney(I usually go in early to late fall) I'd FINALLY get to ride this(it's always down every time I go since 1994)but it seems I'm out of luck AGAIN! Oh well I just hope it doesn't affect the crowds if it's still down that day. Kinda upsets me that it's just that week too, *heavy sigh*. I guess I will just have to ride Mission Space a couple extra times to make up for it or something. :P

It doesn't seem quite fair that they announce this less than 2 months out if it is just regular maintenance. Put my daughter in the disappointed category! When was this posted????

I just came across it just before I started this thread. I swear it wasn't it the refurbishment list the week before when I checked it.:confused3

I just came across it just before I started this thread. I swear it wasn't it the refurbishment list the week before when I checked it.:confused3

It wasn't. I know it sounds crazy but it was the only "must do" for my 8 year old daughter. She is really good natured, so while I know she will be just fine, I am still a little sad for her. :sad2:

Yeah I'm quite disappointed myself and I have to correct my last post I actually haven't ridden it since 1991, 1994 it was closed and my trip in 2007 it was also closed and I went in October in 94 and September in 07. I figured well it's late August still summer they can't close it then...but they are, doh! :sad2:

While I'm just as happy as anyone to get to go I just feel a bit cheated that they waited till this close to the refurb date to finally announce and disappoint anyone wanting to have ridden it that is going those dates. I understand things need to close but the timing I seem to have with this particular attraction is getting ridiculous!

The only good thing is I don't have to walk all the way to the front of the park now to ride it and it's one less 'must do' attraction for that park but still big bummer!

Heads up!

"The refurbishment of Spaceship Earth that was originally scheduled for August 18 to August 25 2013 has been pushed back by a couple of days. The latest closure dates are now August 22 to August 27, reopening on August 28 2013."

:banana:

Spaceship Earth- closed 8/18/2013- 8/24/2013... This is the date when I looked just now!

Heads up!

"The refurbishment of Spaceship Earth that was originally scheduled for August 18 to August 25 2013 has been pushed back by a couple of days. The latest closure dates are now August 22 to August 27, reopening on August 28 2013."

:banana:

I think I'll change my EPCOT day back to the 19th again if this is the case. I like the look of a 5.6 crowd level much better than an 8.0 crowd level on the 15th. Thanks for the heads up!

I would ask your kids and weigh your options. We are going 10-16 of August if I could change to the week your going I would, I think it will be significant difference with the crowds.

Yay!! I was so bummed that we were gunna miss it!
Is there anywhere that Disney posts these things or do we just have to rely on insider sources for renovation information?

If you go into the Disney site and check park hours calendar starting at a particular date and going forward 10 days it says August 22nd to 27th refurbishment for SpaceShip Earth. Here's the link.....
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/calendars/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter