Space220 - a fad or does it have staying power

mlayton14

DIS Veteran
It seems as though 9 out every 10 reviews say it’s a one and done (with price being the biggest driver). I have a July reservation for lunch and am likely canceling it from what I see on YouTube. Can’t imagine they can keep the current offering / price and stay in business once the shine wears off. My prediction is within 2 years they ditch the prefixe format and go full alacarte. What does everyone else think ?

If they lower the price or deliver better food . Maybe it can stay.. the view of earth needs to zoom in so it hits all the windows.
I agree with this. My main issues with Space 220 is that the food is not at all worth the prefix menu price. I also tend to avoid eating at places that have a prefix menu since I can't eat that much food so I definitely won't be going back.

I think it'll still be popular since places that I've seen criticized for having meh food but good atmosphere still get booked up (ex. Be our Guest, another prefix menu).

It seems as though 9 out every 10 reviews say it’s a one and done (with price being the biggest driver). I have a July reservation for lunch and am likely canceling it from what I see on YouTube. Can’t imagine they can keep the current offering / price and stay in business once the shine wears off. My prediction is within 2 years they ditch the prefixe format and go full alacarte. What does everyone else thi

ive heard similar things and will probably only do it during my trip if i can get a lounge reservation so im not stuck paying a lot of money on bad food and could just get a drink or an app to get the experience of the restaurant.

ive heard similar things and will probably only do it during my trip if i can get a lounge reservation so im not stuck paying a lot of money on bad food and could just get a drink or an app to get the experience of the restaurant.
We had a lunch reservation last visit. We cancelled it after looking at what we’d order from the prefix. The items didn’t excite us and the cost was high.

We still want to go for the experience and will should we be able to get a lounge ressie in the future.

I'm hoping they'll expand the lounge area so that it's easier to book that section. Having the choice of the prix fixe menu vs. the lounge menu made a great difference to us. Like BOG, it's a unique interior, but if the food isn't worth it, it won't remain as popular.

BOG is going strong with the switch to pre-fixe. I think the Space 220 restaurant area will stay pre-fixe for quite a while, otherwise it will be a restaurant filled with people only ordering drinks and desserts. They are giving people that option with the lounge and bar areas at Space 220. Except for Sci-Fi (and I don't really want to give them any ideas), any restaurant with a unique theme, view or characters is for the most part, pre-fixe at this point.

I was not thrilled with the prix fixe. But the meal I had there (steak) was one of the best I have ever had on property.

We sat in the 220 lounge. The chicken and waffles appetizer was pretty good, the Tang mixed drink was most definitely not good.
The elevator ride up was fun. I'm glad we went but there are lots of other food at Epcot that I want to try. It was pricey for what we got.
I can snack around Epcot all day and be happy so unless their menu changes we probably won't go back.

BOG is going strong with the switch to pre-fixe. I think the Space 220 restaurant area will stay pre-fixe for quite a while, otherwise it will be a restaurant filled with people only ordering drinks and desserts. They are giving people that option with the lounge and bar areas at Space 220. Except for Sci-Fi (and I don't really want to give them any ideas), any restaurant with a unique theme, view or characters is for the most part, pre-fixe at this point.
I disagree with BOG you used to never be able to find a reservation until they went pre-fixe now I can pretty much find a reservation pretty easy. The only current draw with BOG is inside the restaurant which is one of the best if not the best themed restaurant in DisneyWorld because of that you could serve $60 peanut and butter jelly sandwiches and people will pour in. The popularity of the restaurant has nothing to do with the food.

I had the same steak and needed a gallon of water to wash down all the salt.. come to my place I can make a better steak for 12$
Obviously consistency is an issue! I hate salt, so for sure mine was not salty (if I remember it was a coffee-rubbed preparation). I oddly remember loving the salad. I stupidly loved that dinner 😂

Obviously consistency is an issue! I hate salt, so for sure mine was not salty (if I remember it was a coffee-rubbed preparation). I oddly remember loving the salad. I stupidly loved that dinner 😂
I think it was more the potatoes. They were in some salt butter mixture and it got all under my steak. I LOVE potatoes... and I couldn't eat these lol

Last week was my second time, both lunch prix fixe. We went the second time because DS2 had not been and wanted to experience it. I would never consider it for dinner.

For second time we were sat at an "end" area and for second time we have a view of pretty much nothing. Folks next to us complained and asked to be moved. We should have. This time we were in a booth by the window, pointless when no view. Last time we were at a table back from window so we could see at angle. I know folks have asked but it was a fairly busy time and there were only parties of 3 and up in the booths.

BOTH times I ordered the same exact meal, the steak. First trip it was excellent as was the broccolini and potatoes. This trip it changed to french fries but I was able to request the potatoes back. DS1 got it with fries and DS2 got it with potato wedges. Fries were fine, wedges were very dry. My potatoes were not as good as last time. Broccolini was tough. The steak was no where as good, fatty. DS2 asked for medium rare and it was medium. He wanted to at least try a specialty drink, got the cotton candy one but barely drank it, way to sweet.

I will say it hurt way more paying for three than it did two. I absolutely will not be returning unless I manage a Lounge ADR. DS2 said he'd consider Lounge or would sit at bar with friends. He said they really messed up on the "screen" and could def had created a changing view so all seats were good. I suppose there may always be a endless supply of newbies but just the fact that they aren't filling it with ADRs tells me they are creating a false demand. No telling.

NOTE: We did not have an ADR either time.

For us, food wasn’t the issue. We sat in the lounge. We just weren’t impressed with the ambiance. I was disappointed with the visuals, not that exciting. The ride “up” was probably the best part. I wouldn’t recommend it to friends or family considering the price. I’m also wondering what the staying power of this place will be.

I disagree with BOG you used to never be able to find a reservation until they went pre-fixe now I can pretty much find a reservation pretty easy. The only current draw with BOG is inside the restaurant which is one of the best if not the best themed restaurant in DisneyWorld because of that you could serve $60 peanut and butter jelly sandwiches and people will pour in. The popularity of the restaurant has nothing to do with the food.

That is precisely my point. IMHO, none of the prix-fixe restaurants (including Cali Grill) serve great food, but guests are still booking all of them and WDW is making $$ hand-over-fist because they all offer some type of novelty - a view, characters, special effects, etc. Even if BOG isn't filled to the rafters with guests (on my last trip, it was not easy getting a BOG reservation at our desired time), they are making far more money on pre-fixe than they were on table after table of guests only ordering the grey stuff. That is also why I don't think the pre-fixe option at Space 220 is going away any time soon. I agree with your sentiment and to look at it in terms of Space 220 - the only current draw with Space 220 is the elevator and the view inside the restaurant, because of that, you can force people to purchase a pre-fixe meal and people will pour in. Based on a lot of responses I've read, most people do not seem to be interested in the food at Space 220 (I've been there a few times and I agree - the food isn't great), but everyone wants to ride that elevator. WDW is going to make us pay a hefty price for that experience.

sorry I'm just browsing comments and have nothing meaningful to contribute...but your comment stopped me short... they put a coffee rub on your steak??? is that thing in America? I can't even imagine 🤢

I loved the experience. We ride up and the interior was amazing. From the special design cutlery and plates to the view. We loved it. The cocktails we had were great, better than at Oga's.

The food was at best average.

But, still the experience blew us away. It was the first time a restaurant ever had that Disney immersive feeling to it. It is like an attraction with food.

And to be honest would you really expect the food in a space station to be amazing?

I think the theming makes up for a lot and we will definitely go back on our next trip.

sorry I'm just browsing comments and have nothing meaningful to contribute...but your comment stopped me short... they put a coffee rub on your steak??? is that thing in America? I can't even imagine 🤢
I don't drink coffee and to call it a coffee run is a tad much. It really didn't taste like coffee. I'm not sure what else was in it tho. Either way the steak was small for the price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter