Space Shuttle launch

Max Rebo

Mouseketeer
I see the Space Shuttle is scheduled to be launched at 7:38 EDT Friday, June 8, while my family will be at WDW.

What can we expect to be able to see or hear from Central Florida?

Yes, you'll be able to see it from just about anywhere at WDW. I've seen it from MGM and Epcot.

where do you get the schedule for this?

The information I got was from an AP news article. Here's a snippet:

"CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — NASA managers announced Thursday that they would press ahead with the first space shuttle launch of the year next week, three months later than originally planned because of a hail storm that pockmarked the spacecraft’s external tank.
"After a two-day meeting at the Kennedy Space Center, NASA officials agreed to launch Atlantis at 7:38 p.m. EDT June 8 on a mission to deliver a new pair of solar arrays to the international space station."

Cool, thanks! I wish it would be in July. I'll keep my eyes out, maybe I'll get lucky somehow. . .

I was in the MK last year at the begining of July went a space shuttle went up. First you could hear it, then you could almost feel it, and then you could see it. I watched from the bridge/boardwalk goint to frontier land. It was one of the most aw inspiring things i have ever seen, even though i was half way accross Florida.

While you can see it from Orlando if it is clear out, you will not hear it. I really encourage you to make the trip to Titusville. :-)

Were going to watch it from the Kennedy Space Center complex that day, my son is so excited!

We saw it when we were in MK last year. It was a night launch and from our vantage point in the main hub it looked like it was taking off right over space mountain. It really lit up the night sky, it was simply beautiful to see.

I also encourage you to go to Titusville and see it live. We did this in July of 2005 and it was so awesome. It's an experience we will never forget.

We saw Columbia go up a few years ago. We were at The Boardwalk resort and going for a surrey bike ride when we stopped and watched it at the top of a bridge. It was spectacular, and I'll never forget it. It was amazing, even in the middle of the day. I can't even imagine how amazing it'll be at dusk/night! Enjoy it!!

I can remember being there one year as a teen and my mom woke us up really early to watch an unmanned shuttle being launched. We were staying right on Cocoa Beach.. It was AWESOME...

I can remember being there one year as a teen and my mom woke us up really early to watch an unmanned shuttle being launched. We were staying right on Cocoa Beach.. It was AWESOME...

Just wanted to correct you on this...you were watching an unmanned rocket (probably a Delta II or a Titan). There's never been an unmanned shuttle.

:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter