Space Shuttle Launch - May 22nd

I was going to mention the launch today but Coleland beat me to it. Awesome as Coleland said, but nothing in comparison to the Shuttle. Depending on which orbit the shuttle is going to the shuttle can be seen from up to 500 miles away (night launch). The best launches are polar orbits as they fly right up the east coast and a large percentage of the coast gets the show. Almost as good are the high inclination orbits for space station rendezvous. Equatorial orbits are straight out to sea and only visible from Florida.

We live about 35 miles west as the crow flies from the cape. On a few occasions we have even heard the shuttle go up.

If you get the chance don't miss it ....

Unfortunalty the shuttle has been delayed until JUly now due to having to correct problems which could cause the same breakapart as the Columbia in 2003 - We had a spy launch off last night around 8:48PM and it was loud and beautiful against the dark sky - this is the last of this series. It is great to see them - I haven't missed a launch in all the years I have been here - I remember the first seven when it was safe enough for them to ride in a parade starting on Minuteman Causeway in cocoa Beach all the way into Cape Canaveral in open convertibles - what a sight for the kids - they still talk about it - the thing you have to remember is that when there is a manned launch especially, the causeways are so congested that it takes hours to get off and on to the barrier islands such as Cape Canaveral, Cocoa Beach and Merritt Island - now that our population is more than doubled, traffic is even heavier so if you ever come over for the launches, plan on staying around for a few hours - if you are ever coming over to go on a cruise, make sure you come the day BEFORE the launch - you won't get so fusterated working in and out the traffic - I can remember once taking my children on 528 and we only lived 3 miles from home - it took us over 3 hours to get home and that was in the 60's and 70's - if I can ever help, just drop me a note.
Always
Shirley

There was a launch the Saturday of our Turkey Day sailing 04 that WAS very visable and you could hear the rumble of the engines.....On our 2000 sailing they told us that we might have been able to see it from CC......but we missed it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter