Space Shuttle Launch - May 22nd

Maxwell

DIS Veteran
I have read that the Shuttle launch is now scheduled for May 22nd at around 1PM. We are leaving on the 4 day Wonder that day. Will we be able to see the launch from the ship at all?

Well you can see the vehicle assembly building from the Bee-line heading into PC, so I'm suspecting you will have an AMAZING view! :cool1:

WE once watched the Space Shuttle take off from Jetty Park, which is on the other side of the Port from DCL and had no trouble seeing it take off.

yes you will be able to see the space shuttle, it even has been reported people from wdw even seen the space shuttle from there , you will just have to find a spot, know which direction to look up. :teeth:

We're on that cruise too. What an added bonus; maybe the kids will learn something while they are having fun. We have friends at the AF base there. I'llhave to call her and see if she knows anything about the launch on the 22nd.

Note security & traffic getting to Port Canaveral might be a bit "tighter" that day if there's a launch.....

ivanova said:
Note security & traffic getting to Port Canaveral might be a bit "tighter" that day if there's a launch.....
And quite likely that there will be lots more traffic on the road to the coast - so be sure to allow extra time if you are driving your own car or using a towncar / limo service.

How exciting for you!!! :banana: That should be an AWESOME view from the ship!!! I watched a shuttle go up from Jacksonville, FL once!! (It was difficult to see it from that distance, but it was still pretty cool.)
I can't imagine the feeling of being right there! That will be something you and your children won't soon forget!!!
What a fine send-off for your cruise! :wave:
Have fun!!! :banana: :cool1: :banana:
-Christal

How do you find out in advance when the launches are going to be?
Saw one many years ago from Orlando and it was such an exciting sight.

Grills website (http://www.visitgrills.com/) has this image of a launch as seen from the Port
f44f43a1.jpg

Hope you get to see the launch, but just a caution...these launches may be delayed at any time (this one was already pushed back from 5/15.)

We were lucky enough to see a launch while we sailed away from Port Canaveral on our Thanksgiving cruise in 2002. It wasn't a shuttle but rather some sort of rocket carrying a satellite or some other cargo.

Since it was November it was dusk when they launched and it was very spectacular!

We sort of "slept" through the launch of a weather satellite when we stayed at the Radisson before our Nov. 04 cruise. They launched at around 1am ... we hadn't gotten to the hotel until around midnight. If we'd known there was to be a launch, we would have stayed up :rolleyes:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news....but.....just posted on the Orlando Channel 6 news website and FLORIDATODAY Newspaper website...there may be another delay and they may not launch on the 22nd. :confused3

Keep checking the websites and also the Orlando Sentinel website for updates.

Phyllis

natsmom125 said:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news....but.....just posted on the Orlando Channel 6 news website and FLORIDATODAY Newspaper website...there may be another delay and they may not launch on the 22nd. :confused3

Keep checking the websites and also the Orlando Sentinel website for updates.

Phyllis
Unfortunately for those of you hoping for the May 22nd launch, here is part of an AP news story on this. Nothing "official", but it doesn't look good for a May 22nd launch.

NASA spokesman Allard Beutel said the space agency would have no comment on the outcome of the meeting until Friday. But NASA and contractors managers were canceling reservations at hotels near Cape Canaveral and rebooking for mid-July, suggesting the launch had been delayed.

A space program manager, who did not want to be identified, said Friday that a delay until July was likely.

nymets said:
:cool1: It was just on ABC news that the launch was delayed Maybe until July :cool1: :earsgirl: :earsboy: :banana: :banana:
confirmed on msnbc.com that it's been delayed to July

Just read on NASA web site that shuttle launch has been delayed to no earlier than July 13th (Launch window July 13th thru July 31st).

We are in Port Canaveral right now, waiting to board the Magic tomorrow, and it has been reported on the news that the shuttle launch has been delayed for 2 months - there is a problem they are trying to fix.

However: we got to see a Titan rocket launch tonight from the front of the Radisson tonight at 8:50pm - it was AWESOME!!! It lit up the sky like it was daylight, and was up in the air for about 45 seconds before we even began to hear the roar of the launch - it was simply spectacular!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter