Space Mountian will be closed soon!?

I hear that they're testing the loop in the Superstar Limo building... (sorry, inside joke from the Disneyland forums).

They are not adding a loop. Those same rumors surrounded the refurb of the Disneyland SM as well, and had absolutely no basis whatsoever in reality. We'll be lucky to get a full retrack and the full theming package from Disneyland, never mind a new layout with inversions.

I heard that they were closing the CM Water Cooler
to refurb all the wild rumors and misinformation
that is "leaked" by employees
who know nothing at all about anything.

:goodvibes

I was told by the CM's at space mountain they were closing it soon for refurb. They will be changing the roller coaster adding an upside down loop and making it more like Rock N Roll roller coaster. Plus adding more space like elements that glow in the dark. Did anyone else hear this? They told us to ride it while we can because it will be the last time it will be like this.

I can honestly say that I would welcome a remodel of Space Mountain at WDW. I recently got a chance to ride SM at DL in CA and I enjoyed the that experiance much better. The ride vehicles in DL are much easier on the back, to us anyway, and I enjoyed the experiance. We have not ridden SM at WDW in years.

The referb will my guess happen in the next year or two. It WILL NOT get a loop. They wouldn't put that in the MK. It's a family park, they want to keep it that way. It's too hard to add a loop to an already inclosed building anyway.

My DS8 showed me the other day where his 2009 Birbaum's for Kids (WDW for kids? something like that) says that SM will be closed in 2009 for a refurb. He was glad he rode it so many times over Thanksgiving.

Don't know if there's credit to it, but it's printed in the book.

The referb will my guess happen in the next year or two. It WILL NOT get a loop. They wouldn't put that in the MK. It's a family park, they want to keep it that way. It's too hard to add a loop to an already inclosed building anyway.

That's what I was thinking!

I think that Space Mountain missing from the 2009 vacation planning video and map is the most telling sign that the ride will be down for most of 2009. The number I have been hearing is 9 months. I for one am glad it is happening. It needs the work. I still don't know what specific changes are being made, but I have heard many times that one major change will be the ride cars going to two riders wide. That should dramatically increase ride capacity.

Universal Studios and Sea World both have MAJOR roller coasters coming online in the next few months. A majorly refurbished Space Mountain would be the perfect way to match those moves. WDW's big problem will come when The Wizarding World of Harry Potter opens at Islands of Adventure in 2010. That will get many of the WDW only crowd to take a day at the Universal Studios parks. Look for more companies to start offering round trip service from the Disney resorts and surrounding hotels to US when Harry Potter opens.

The only Space Mountain with a loop is DLRP's Space Mountain Mission 2... and that has a totally different theme then US's. So so far I doubt that but I believe a refurb is coming eventually and I hope it's similar to DLR's!

Disney does not have a history of stopping mentioning the existence of attractions that will be closed for refurb.

Disney does not have a history of stopping mentioning the existence of attractions that will be closed for refurb.

There are a couple of big differences this time. The first is we are talking a major signature ride. I don't think Disney wants to make a big deal of it not being available to guests. That leads to the second, and much bigger, point. Disney is in a serious downturn. Look at the offers they are making on resort stays just to try to keep from losing too much business. The last thing they need is to publicize a major ride being down for the year. It is going to make a lot of people unhappy. Every day they wait to announce it is a day more people book reservations for 2009 trips that they are unlikely to cancel.

I am just passing on info I heard. No need to kill the messanger. I was also told they are loosing business to Universal. It seems Universal is always changing and offering new things. DW seem to not change much from year to year. The new Toy Story ride was fun but to be honest I would not wait in line for more than 20 mins to do it agian. I took my son 6 and my niece 17 this past trip and to be honest she was kind bored. This was also her first trip. She thought the rides were all for little kids with the exception of Tower of Terror and Rock N Roll rollercoaster. I was told the Universal Halloween Party blows DW's out of the water. My next trip to DW will be combined with a trip to Universal and Sea World.

They may not have a history of it, but that's exactly what they did in the 09 planning DVD-not mention it. The DVD refers several times to MK's "double" mountains. Even when it covers Tommorwland, there is no mention of Space Mountain, no shots of it, nothing. They cover Monsters inc, Buzz, Stitch, and show a shot of astro. The 09 DVD comes with a fold out map thing and Space Mountain is missing from the list of atractions.

I thought it was odd. Unless of course they plan to have Space Mountain closed for most or all of 09.

I was told the Universal Halloween Party blows DW's out of the water.
We have been to MNSSHP multiple times, HHN multiple times, and this year Howl O Scream as first timers.
I think whichever one people prefer just depends on what type of party they prefer. (Basically just personal preferences and tastes.)

As for rumors, only believe those the WDW bus drivers tell you. ;) :lmao:

I was told the Universal Halloween Party blows DW's out of the water. My next trip to DW will be combined with a trip to Universal and Sea World.

It depends on your version of "blows out of the water." We did our honeymoon in WDW/US last October, and did not attend MNSSHP, so I can't exactly compare. But we did do Halloween Horror Nights in US one night, and I HATED it. Luckily we got the tickets free because I definitely wouldn't have gotten my money's worth. I went in one haunted house and that was enough for me. My DH did the rest by himself while I waited in well lit shops or restaurants! I hate being scared, so to me, MNSSHP would be the obvious choice. Yes, HHN is a great party if you love Halloween and being scared. I would say MNSSHP blows HHN out of the water simply for the fact that you get all of the Halloween fun without being scared out of your wits! It leaves an option for us scaredy cats!

Despite being told this by a CM, this still qualifies very much as a rumor.. and as such I'll be moving this over to the Rumors & News Board.

Knox

I did not know there was a rumor board. Sorry i would have posted it there had I know. :confused3

There is a fine line between nostalgic and looking dated and worn out. I wouldn't like a major refurb like changing the theming and making a "Buzz lightyear" ride but it is looking a little dowdy.

I don't believe the loop for a second. Like the commericial where one little kid who would be too short to ride says to another who would also be too short "You were afraid to ride". That is their audience. IMHO MK has a younger target audience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter