Space Mountain?

Pardo714

Mouseketeer
What is the status of Space Mountain. We rode it in Feb before they closed it for the refurb. Is it open? What has changed? We are going next week and were hoping it would be open.

It's open. The queue has been redone and the ride vehicles are updated. The ride is alot darker and seemed a lot smoother. We rode it last week.

Enjoy! :)

are the cars still a single wide seat, or are they more like DL and are side by side seating?

There is a new spaceship (I think it's new) on the ceiling in the waiting/loading room. The cars no longer have the reflective stripes, so it is darker. There are now some video games to play along way, while you wait in line. I thought it was just as herky, jerky as always, just darker.

Oops. I forgot to mention that after the ride, the scenes have been updated along the moving belt/exit.

I thought it was just as herky, jerky as always, just darker.

We rode the one of the left and I agree that it was very jerky.

The line area specifically for the left queue was quite tacky. Fabric covered the walls so you couldn't see through the windows separating the queue from the left loading area; but, lots of people had been pulling on it to have a peak. I couldn't believe it looked like that. I think someone forgot to go over the final check list before it was opened back up.

We rode it on Saturday. It was okay, but nothing great. I expected more from a refurbishment that took so long.

Actually, I like the changes. The new blue lighting and "open windows" makes you feel you are on a starship before boarding (For Next Generation fans...can anyone say 10 forward?). I heard the same people that designed the Soarn' line did this one as well. The interactive games are interesting to help pass time away. The ride track is the same but early stunts have changed a bit for the better, carpet at the exit is new. And you can view on-ride photos right after you get off the ride.

What I like the best: Changes were made but nostalgia from the past was kept. Way to go Disney in preserving some of my childhood memories!!:yay:

Am I remembering the seating correctly (from when I was a kid)? The seats weren't individual. You actually sat between the legs of the person behind you? Same seat? Why do I remember this?

Although seating is one behind the other in the Space Mountain ride vehicles, each rider does have his own seat and seat back.

You may be remembering a trip to Disneyland riding the Matterhorn or Splash Mountain where you are sitting single file and seated between the legs of the rider behind you. :)

Robert

Am I remembering the seating correctly (from when I was a kid)? The seats weren't individual. You actually sat between the legs of the person behind you? Same seat? Why do I remember this?

I remember this seating too- from years back when I was a child- each rocket had a bench and you would sit with against the person behind you- up to 3 people and their was a strap that would go around all of you. I don't know when they changed the seats to individual ones but it was by the time I was in my teens.

Yes, I remember this as well. Actually, what I mostly remember is the bump on the top of my head from my older brother's chin hitting it! :eek:

From Wikipedia: "From 1975-1989, each of these two rockets featured two seats, each seat designed to hold two passengers (the front passenger rode in the rear passenger's lap, again like the Matterhorn Bobsleds), for a total capacity of eight passengers per train. Each rider had his/her own seat belt. In 1989, the trains were completely replaced. These new trains were externally and cosmetically very similar to the originals, and still consisted of two rockets joined together. As before, guests ride single-file. Now, however, the rockets have three seats, with one guest per seat, reducing each train's potential capacity from eight riders to six. The 1989 vehicles introduced the use of lap bars, but in 1998 the lap bars were replaced with a new T-bar design, rather than the square design previously used."

We tried to ride on the 14th - twice. CM's weren't letting anyone on. :confused3

It was broken down when we were there last week too. I think that has been happening a lot since the refurb. Had to give our FP's away. :sad2:

As said basically it is the same.
They have made it slightly darker and smoother i think and some of the queueing areas have changed. And i am sad about they have taken away the photos and screens at the end. Everything else is still the same quite disapointing for how long it was closed :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter