Space Mountain Refurb--What changed?

Unofficial627

Mouseketeer
The last time we were in WDW SM was closed. I know they were doing a pretty decent overhaul of it, but I never actually found out what changes they made. I thought it would be something to make everything smooth and not as bumpy and jerky, but did they update other things too?

Just curious, any little tidbits would be fun to hear :)

The last time we were in WDW SM was closed. I know they were doing a pretty decent overhaul of it, but I never actually found out what changes they made. I thought it would be something to make everything smooth and not as bumpy and jerky, but did they update other things too?

Just curious, any little tidbits would be fun to hear :)

I'm curious as well. Last trip in Aug it was closed, I'd be interested in knowing how different it is. BUMP!:thumbsup2

From what I have read the only thing that really changed was the queue.
The ride and ride vehicles are still the same except I think the ride vehicles lost their glow in the dark side panels. Some games have been added to the queue. Supposedly you can no longer see the ride from the queue area or the TTA.

The line changed a lot but the ride didn't seem any different at all. I read somewhere that it was supposed to be more smooth and darker, too, but I really didn't notice any difference

Still fun, though :)

It was not really changed at all.They changed the queue so it now has interactive games( which never worked on our December trip).They also changed out the ride vehicles( still the same configuration just newer).The tracks were slightly smoother.Thats about it.

Please remind me how the ride vehicles are. I haven't ridden since 2000. I had my niece the last two trips and there was no way she was going to ride. It was closed the second year anyway.

I think you sit side by side, am I correct?

I hope the younger niece will ride this year.

Please remind me how the ride vehicles are. I haven't ridden since 2000. I had my niece the last two trips and there was no way she was going to ride. It was closed the second year anyway.

I think you sit side by side, am I correct?

I hope the younger niece will ride this year.

No, you don't sit side by side, you sit one behind the other. I wish it were side by side because I have this irrational fear that my kids are going to fall out. I wish I could hold on to them. I know it's crazy, but it still scares me every time we ride Space Mtn. :confused3

I think DL might be side by side, but I can't remember. i haven't been to DL in 10 yrs.

My friend rode it and said it was much darker, which made it better. But that's all he mentioned.

the biggest change was actually that they covered the indoor queue in the loading area. it used to be open so you could see the tracks (and let in light into the coaster area).

the games are only on the standby side as well. FP skips them.

No, you don't sit side by side, you sit one behind the other. I wish it were side by side because I have this irrational fear that my kids are going to fall out. I wish I could hold on to them. I know it's crazy, but it still scares me every time we ride Space Mtn. :confused3

I think DL might be side by side, but I can't remember. i haven't been to DL in 10 yrs.

My first trip I sat behind my DD and held onto her shoulders the whole time. I was scared to death! LOL Now I know it was silly, she was plenty big enough at 7 yrs old to be safe, but that mothers protective instinct kicks in at high speeds in the dark! LOL It was a very uncomfortable ride, I had to go on again right after and relax and enjoy it. I will never forget that first time though.

Lauging and Jade --

I feel the exact same way. Last time I went it was closed and I breathed a sigh of relief. This time, however, gonna have to let DS on. Will be hard-pressed not to keep one hand on his shoulder the whole time.

And -- yes DL has a side-by-side configuration for its SM ride.

Lauging and Jade --

I feel the exact same way. Last time I went it was closed and I breathed a sigh of relief. This time, however, gonna have to let DS on. Will be hard-pressed not to keep one hand on his shoulder the whole time.

And -- yes DL has a side-by-side configuration for its SM ride.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one! :rotfl:

we didn't think it was much smoother at all -- maybe just a very slight improvement. Still quite jerky. We were not impressed with the "improvements"

So if my niece went on this she gets her own lap bar. Is there a tall back rest? I'm guessing there is no way to hold her hand or anything then with the seating.

How have other 4 yr olds been on this?

I must be thinking of DL with the side by side.

I was hoping they would add the cool music they have in Disneyland. Have they? No one has mentioned it, so probably not. I like the Disneyland Space Mountain much better than MK's.

I certainly hope they did more than update the queue. The last time we went in 2007, my husband and I got stuck in the launch tube, and the ride was in seriously bad shape. All the carpet was torn and filthy and there was duct tape everywhere. I was hoping the rehab would clean up the inside and replace what needed to be replaced.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter