Space Mountain Question

darkkskyzz

Earning My Ears
SM is one of DD12 and I's fave rides! :cool1:

DH has never been on it :scared1:

DH had 3 herniated discs...which he had surgically repaired in 2007. Since then he has been fine, and most rides do not bother him.
Every ride in the world has the warning "for those with back problems"...so it makes it difficult for him to know which ones he can handle and which ones he can't. :confused3

SO...since I think every ride is fine :rolleyes: I am not the best judge.

He wants to know if this ride might be too herky-jerky for him:blush:
I don't think his idea of fun is hanging outside of the exit asking other people how it was
:rotfl2:

So...to all of you with bad backs...can he handle it??
Keeping in mind that he fully intends to hit BTMRR, RnR, and ToT :woohoo:

Appreciate it you guys! :worship:

You may want to wait to ask this question after it is back up after a lengthy rehab. It could be a totally different ride experience after that :)

That being said, I did find that Space Mountain was the worst of all Disney coasters for being herky jerky.

The ride definitely is a little "jerky." However, only you or you doctor should make this call.

Space Mountain is the worst with Back Problems. Avoid it.... Its very jerky and tough on the lower back.

My husband has back problems and he went on space mountain and he said he would never go on it again, it was way to jerky for him.

I found BTMRR much worse on my back than SM, I don't think SM jerks you anymore than that ride.

DH and I both have bad backs, and SM was the worst, as far as pain goes.

EE was a bit painful for us both, as well.

I can't say if it will be this way after it's rehab but it is the most jerky ride I have ever been on!

Sm is the worst for being Jerky, it is actually painful to ride.
I was hoping for a longer rehab and for them to make it like DL SM which is smooth and really fast, it is one of the greatest rides I have ever been on.
I'll ride in December and hope it is much better then what it was.

First off… I AM NOT A DOCTOR.

I had back surgery for a ruptured disc (l4/l5) in December 2007. I rode SM my last trip on May 2008. No problems.

But, again… I AM NOT A DOCTOR.

I would avoid SM if I were you guys, it's really not worth the pain in my opinion. I have neck problems and have problems with SM. I think being in the dark hinders you a bit too, atleast on BTMR you can kind of see what's coming up and prepare....when you're in the dark and it's jerking you around it gets a bit rough.

Just my opinion though. :thumbsup2

i guess im the minority, i have two pinched nerves and a herniated disc in my lower back and i still rode SM like a million times on my last trip....was it jerky? SUPER and by the end of the night it started to bother me...but we got to MK at RD, stayed until about 4, went to the hotel showered had 7pm ressies at GF then went back to MK until 3am closing...so i rode SM, and BTMRR tons, along with getting in and out of other rides like Pirates and splash ( those rides are low to the ground so they can be killers!) and walking constantly all day....so whos to say it was SM that caused my back to start to hurt and not the million other things that i did? :rotfl: nobody can tell you for sure whats best for your DH but my personal opinion is if he rides it once it wouldnt be a problem for him espicially if maybe you plan to ride it closer to a break in your day, that way if for some reason it did get to him you are already planning to relax for maybe a lunch or a hotel break

We are traveling with someone this year who had a major car accident years ago, and is full of pins and screws in her back and ankle.

She has gone to Six Flags, etc. and avoided some rides due to the jerking of the cars. We told her that she will find rides at Disney much less jerky, but made a list of some of the things she won't be able to ride (or we strongly suggested) and one of them is SM......

I can't say if it will be this way after it's rehab but it is the most jerky ride I have ever been on!

I haven't been on since 2006, and I don't remember it being that bad. But I don't have a bad back.

But I would say that Kilamanjaro Safari, Dinosaur, and any wooden coaster outside of WDW are way more jerky than Space Mountain.

this is my opinion and not medical advice- ok if he is going to ride it he must be in the first or second seat. absolutely do not let him ride in the back of the rocket. remember crack the whip- the back is the worst jerky ride ever.

kate

If they are doing to same thing to Space in WDW as they did at Disneyland, you probably won't have any problems. It will be a muuuuuuch smoother ride.

Me and DD had so much fun on it in DL in January, we didn't want to go on anything else. It was great!

I think all of you "doctors" summed it up pretty good for him! :thumbsup2

Thanks for all the input...better to have him sit out one ride than be sorry later on. Heaven forbid he throw it out.

Thanks so much for the input!

P.S. One of the things he said he was "afraid" of was being in the dark and not being able to prepare his body for the twists and turns. Thanks to the poster who had the same thought :cloud9:

:santa::santa::santa:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter