Space Mountain - how rough on the back and neck?

No chance of a FP as our visit is the day it's coming out of the unplanned mini closure (4/24). There was nothing available as everyone whose FP got canceled for earlier that week must have snapped them up. Our options are go right there at RD (not really my preference) or after Wishes when it will hopefully be a bit shorter SB wait. It may be a non issue if the opening gets delayed.

The refurb that made it worse was in 2009? I last rode in 2008 and all I remember is my SIL, who I had talked into trying it, was not happy with me at all :(

Well, FPs opened up for our day (looks like they've changed their mind about the mini closing that week or it was one of those famous Disney computer glitches all along...). I see it as a sign and have booked FPs for right before our afternoon break. I may change the time to later in the day, not sure yet. It will depend on the crowds and if there's any availability when we're there. I hate the way the new FP system forces these decisions on us so far in advance when we can't really be sure what we'll feel like doing at the time or the actual crowds and weather vs. crowd calendar and typical day predictions for that time of year...

I've found that it is really hard on my neck and back after the refurb a couple of years ago. I usually am in the back and sometimes it's so uncomfortable I am excited to get off.

It's unfortunate because it's DH's favorite ride but I usually can only do it 1x.

I agree. It was rougher after the refurbs.

I'm not sure so I can't answer that part. I have failed fusion surgery syndrome after an L5-S1 fusion and various other issues with my back. I'd just caution you that if you have anything wrong with your back or neck that you find someone else to ride with her. I'm all for a kid not missing out but you also don't want to be hurting the whole rest of the trip.

I'm really going to watch which rides I go on, make sure I have plenty of my breakthru meds, and rest as needed next month. Goodluck!!!

My husband just had revision surgery for the same problem. We always skip Space Mountain for him. It's just not worth the risk of him being down. I was hoping someone would say, 'no, it's super smooth!' So we could give it a whirl next time! Ha!

Good luck, starswilldiex, I wouldn't wish it on anyone!

I'd say it's pretty bad. I rode once in 2012 and haven't been back on since and I'm pretty good with thrill rides in general.

No its horrible surgery to recover from. Ive had plenty of other surgeries and recovered just fine. Now i am dealing with back issues for rest of my life and im only 31.

I hope your husbands revision surgery helps fix some of the issues..

I really miss roller coasters but the risk is not worth the reward. Id rather have several okay days vs. 1 great day (i love roller coasters so riding 1 again would be great) that i am paying the rest of the trip for.

Definitely a back killer for me too.....and along with Dinosaur @ AK, the two most painful attractions on property!
I prefer not to ride it now, if possible...sometimes I do give in, just because it's such a staple of any trip to MK, but I usually pay for it later.

I don't usually have back problems, but it really hurt my back last time I rode (years ago). I won't ride anymore. Dinosaur doesn't bother me.

I am 6'3" and always ride in the rear seat because I need the leg room. The ride shakes up my back every time. In fact, I am thinking that now that I am 5o years old it might be a good time to retire from Space Mountain. Probably won't ride it on our May trip

I have terrible neck issues and I've had to retire from riding that ride :(
It shakes me up so bad that the rest of my day is ruined by neck pain.
The Dinosaur ride at AK is really bad too.

I have herniated discs in my neck. I rode it last year for my daughters first ride. Never again. I was in a lot of pain when I got off and was happily surprised when the pain went away in an hour or so. Oddly, I have no trouble on Everest.

That's tough. I know you want to do it for DD. If your back is not a constant problem then as someone else suggests I might do it last thing one night.

Personally it's my LEAST favorite ride in all of WDW. I can't stand it. I can't stand it because of the back and neck pain it causes me. Those then cause headaches/migraines. I usually try to ride it once for my husband, but always regret it. It's one of my husbands favorite rides though.

I love the ride, but my head, neck, and back have declared never again. The other mountains do not bother me. I hope you enjoy it if you decide to try it.

I am a 100% healthy guy and in pretty good shape (not that it matters) and Space Mountain puts me in pain after 2 or 3 rides. But I still love the ride nonetheless.

Agree - too jerky for me. Loved it as a kid. Last trip 2013, I vowed never again.

I find the back to be way worse than the front, so if you can get up front, it might be better. I will only ride it once a day now, and it used to be my favorite ride. I don't know if it got worse or if I got old, but I try to brace myself really well.

This. The back is very rough, but I've never had problems in the front. Sit in the first half of the train, in the first 2 seats.

This is the only ride my DD10 refuses to go on again because it hurt her so much the first time (she was 8). Keep in mind my daughter is quite the thrill seeker and believes the faster, the crazier, the scarier, the better! She sat in the front, I was in the middle, and my mother was in the back. We ALL walked off with extremely sore necks and backs. DD10 and I are heading back to WDW in a few weeks and we won't be going on this ride again, it's simply not worth the pain!

I have a bad back and neck and so far haven't had an issue with it. If possible I would do what a couple of other posters said and try to sit closer to the front of your train rather than the back. I ride it at least 2-3 times per trip.

Sorry...misread the thread title. I thought you were asking about BTM instead.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter