• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Space Mountain - how extreme?

Royal Consort

DIS Veteran
I've ridden WDW's Space Mountain (it's ok but really jerky and gives you whiplash) and Disneyland's Space Mountain (smooth and easy to ride).

I've never ridden Disneyland Paris's version because I have been concerned about its intensity. Whenever I've visited I've just stared at it and thought "nup".

These days I find myself in a relationship with someone who is becoming more and more eager to ride coasters (urgh) and so I was wondering - how intensive is this ride? I know it has inversions and corkscrews..

If it's any help I am able to cope with things like The Mummy at Universal Orlando for those who have been (though I managed to hit my head rather badly when it went backwards and had a headache for the rest of the day), and rides like Expedition Everest at Disney World.

Advice?:scared1:

I've ridden WDW's Space Mountain (it's ok but really jerky and gives you whiplash) and Disneyland's Space Mountain (smooth and easy to ride).

I've never ridden Disneyland Paris's version because I have been concerned about its intensity. Whenever I've visited I've just stared at it and thought "nup".

These days I find myself in a relationship with someone who is becoming more and more eager to ride coasters (urgh) and so I was wondering - how intensive is this ride? I know it has inversions and corkscrews..

If it's any help I am able to cope with things like The Mummy at Universal Orlando for those who have been (though I managed to hit my head rather badly when it went backwards and had a headache for the rest of the day), and rides like Expedition Everest at Disney World.

Advice?:scared1:
In ny opinion it is awesome! The effects on this ride make it worth it alone, it's seriously so cool! It's quite intense and does shake your head around a bit but i don't know how yo grade it. I've never been on everest or mummy sorry. Hmm, it is pretty intense but you'll regret not going on it. My sister hates coasters but we ended up going on it about 5 times on our last visit and she loves it now! Just try it, the worst thats gonna happen is that you end up not liking it right?

I'd say its comparable in speed to EE but add in the head banging of WDW SM (& then some more)

It's worth riding once.

I find it less bumpy if you sit toward the front.

It is less intense than the one at MK, but it's also very jerky ( we don't call it the bonecrusher for nothing)
the head rocks back and forth and sideways in a rather violent way (even more so if you ride towards the back of the train). People who are prone to neck aches or injuries should really pay attention. It's not an "intense" ride, it's a "violent" ride

the train also allows you to ride with a partner sitting next to you, that changes the experience a bit.

other than that, it would be a shame not to ride it. (even though I'm among those who think this ride's been butchered when they turned it into "mission 2" ... the "From Earth to The Moom theming from Jules Vernes' novel was so nice and made this ride so unique compared to its counterparts ... pity ...)

Unlike the American versions, it does feature inversions.

It's also faster and as its aged it has become a bit of a headbanger! Hopefully the new cars will sort that out. If you keep your head back, you'll be fine.

It is great fun though and is worth it for the red swirly tunnel alone!

Have you ridden Rock N Rollercoaster? It is more comparable to that than either the WDW or DL version of Space Mountain. Although it is quite bumpy, it is a good ride. I guess you could try I just once! If you are OK on EE I would say you would be OK on this ride.

Thanks for all your replies!

I shall give it a go ... I think............ worst is a brain injury right? ;)

I will make sure I request to be seated near the front rather than the back of the train.

Hopefully the new cars will sort that out.

no new cars in sight, that was just a rumor, just like the new restraints that were supposed to be installed ... actually this turns out to be that DLP *might* change the padding around the old restraints ... *might*

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter