Space Mountain - Did This Really Happen?

jhaig

Not The First To Pass This Way
The last time I went on Space Mountain (I think I rode the left side), maybe between the first and second small drop, I had my hands raised up as high as they could go and then - I SWEAR I touched something above me.

I am 6’2” so may that has something to do with it, but I had to have grazed the track running above me. What else could it have been? Granted I didn’t smash my hand into anything, but I did nick something solid. Just feeling something over my head made but my arms recoil and now they stay down all the time.

I know that it’s kinda tight space-wise in there (I’ve ridden with the lights on before) but are taller people really in danger of getting hurt if they stretch their arms up high in places on this ride?

Well I can tell you that a man my husband used to work with had his hands up on the Matterhorn, and his wedding ring got caught on something above him and it basically flayed his finger. This was on his honeymoon, no less.

So if it were me, I’d keep my hands down on any ride that is dark and where you risk touching anything above you.

It's definitely possible -- when they tell you to keep your hand in the vehicle, they mean it!

Having ridden it with the lights on--yep, completely possible that you touched part of the track, particularly being that tall. I always cringe when I see people ride it with their arms up, though in all my times riding it I've never personally seen someone get hurt. I'm told they have deflection panels so if you hit your hands they're more likely to bounce off than catch a finger, but I've heard stories re: wedding rings on Space Mountain--not surprised to hear about a similar injury on the Matterhorn.

It's natural to assume that they wouldn't have built it so it's possible to hurt yourself that way...but it was built in the 1970s. What we consider a baseline for theme park safety today is quite different. I suppose it's just a matter of them being able to say that yes, they did tell you to keep your arms inside the vehicle!

Edit: Missed on my first read that the OP has also ridden it with the lights on! There are a lot of roller coasters out there where it looks like you're in touching distance but aren't...but yeah, it's not an illusion here. I had an "oh no" moment myself on the Matterhorn in 2017 when I had that realization that no, some of the structures are within arm's reach--we'd ridden it several times and I'd kept my arms down but hadn't really thought about it, and then we were in a vehicle where one of the guys in front of us just reached out and touched the roof of the tunnel right at the start of the ride. Got me thinking about a lot of other things you zip past that aren't a lot farther away! Left me feeling pretty dang nervous on that particular trip down the mountain.

At one point in the ride when you go through the red tube I had my hands up and my finger brushed the top side of the tube.

I ended up getting a nice shock. Felt like a real good static zap.

...I get that a lot of riders like to put up their arms while riding a coaster, but since SM is in the dark, what's the point? [not saying that I'm for or against raising your arms on a thrill ride....just something to ponder.]

I smashed my hand on Friday in the dark-- just posted about it. I am over 6'1". Not terribly tall but it still hurts!

...I get that a lot of riders like to put up their arms while riding a coaster, but since SM is in the dark, what's the point? [not saying that I'm for or against raising your arms on a thrill ride....just something to ponder.]

All about air time, even in the dark😎

Been there done that, 6'5".
Now I fold my hands on the back of my head.
Not the same, but I still have 10 fingers.

I am 6'1" and yes I have touched something twice. The second time hurt so lesson learned. I keep my hands inside the ride vehicle at all times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter