Space mountain and motion sickness

thats_so_pj

Earning My Ears
I've never been on space mountain for fear of getting sick. I get motion sick on rides that go upside down or twirl you around or spin really fast. I got sick on Everest didn't go upside down by the backwards part killed me. I was just wondering for those who have motion sickness is Space Mountain bad. Does it spin you around or go upside down at all.

I have motion sickness too but I take an over the counter motion sickness medication at WDW and it helps with everything. I will say that I am still not thrilled with the backwards part on EE either. It isn't that I get full on motion sickness (even with the medication) but more that I feel a bit quest during that part because I find it disorienting since it pitch black and I can't see where I'm going. If you have a problem with that part I don't think you will like Space Mountain. Again, I don't get full on motion sickness but do feel a bit quest and off for most of the ride because it is also pitch black so you can't see where you are going to prepare for a drop or big jolt. Plus I find the ride extremely uncomfortable because of how jerky it is - like painful at times.

No spinning or upside down on Space Mtn. It's not even that fast. It is a somewhat rough, jerky ride though.

It does not go upside down or spin (ie Dino whirl), but it is a rough ride with some tight turns. I ride Thunder Mtn, but gave up on Space Mtn a few years ago.

I have motion sickness too but I take an over the counter motion sickness medication at WDW and it helps with everything. I will say that I am still not thrilled with the backwards part on EE either. It isn't that I get full on motion sickness (even with the medication) but more that I feel a bit quest during that part because I find it disorienting since it pitch black and I can't see where I'm going. If you have a problem with that part I don't think you will like Space Mountain. Again, I don't get full on motion sickness but do feel a bit quest and off for most of the ride because it is also pitch black so you can't see where you are going to prepare for a drop or big jolt. Plus I find the ride extremely uncomfortable because of how jerky it is - like painful at times.

On EE I am fine and loving live until the backwards part. THen I am trying not to hurl. Thanks for your input. What medication do you take. I just take gravol but it puts me to sleep

Even taking 2 Bonine motion sickness pills, well in advance, Space Mtn still makes me so sick and completely ruins me for the rest of the day. I can't do EE or RNR either (anything that goes backwards, upside down, or round and round is a no go for me) My DD (8) LOVES Space Mtn so she rides it and I just wait for her at the exit, LOL. If you do decide to ride it, maybe make it the very last thing you do before walking out of the park just in case it does make you motion sick.

If motion sickness due to up/down and spinning is an issue for you, as much as I love SM, you may want to stay away. While it's not a fast ride at all, it feels fast because it's basically pitch dark. You can't see where you're going it all. It has several spots that suddenly drop down a hill, or go back up. Not huge hills, but up/down type motions. No flips or corkscrews, but it does twist and turn all around itself quite a bit. The car is also a very tight space...even at 5'9" and 177lbs I feel like a sardine in the car.

I agree with the above advice that if you do want to try it, make sure it is the last ride of the day.

We have a lot of people in our family who suffer from motion sickness and all are able to ride Space Mt. We have a few people in our family who will not ride it because it is too jerky for them (they worry about their backs). This is something that I would try if I were you - just make sure it is solidly between meals just in case.

I can't do Space without getting motion sick.
It is the darkness and not being able to anticipate the turns, etc.

Yeah this, the not being able to see the sharp turns. I stopped riding Space Mtn. After it killed my neck after my first ride. Most people see a curve coming up fast and can prepare their bodies for the curve, but when it just hits you, you have no time to prepare and your neck gets whiplash. Really I am fine with not riding since it always has a long line and it is one less place I have to use a FP.

What medication do you take?

I just take over the counter Bonine or Dramamine but I make sure to get the non-drowsy version. They both work really well! I take them in the morning before we head to the parks and I am fine on all the rides for the whole day and I'm not tired or sluggish at all. I'm pretty sure they have generic versions as well - I think those are the kind I get because they are super inexpensive.

I caved to my daughter's begging me to ride with her. Even with OTC meds, I regretted it. It's very jerky and the pitch dark makes it worse. You can't even anticipate anything.

I also get motion sickness, but I have ridden space mountain a few times. I don't ride it every trip, not because of the motion sickness part, because it is so rough. I find EE and RNR to be much worse than space mountain.

You should ride it once, just to see if you can.

Whatever you do, don't try Forbidden Journey at IOA. I did not think I would ever get off that ride - it was horrible. Worst ride for motion sickness ever :(

I have pretty bad motion sickness, and I didn't have a problem on Space Mountain. I did feel like I needed to go to a chiropractor immediately after riding, however. :sad2: Wish they could smoothe that ride out!

I don't think motion sickness is as tough as the ride is itself. Since it's dark, the turns are a surprise and you get jerked around a lot. The ride kind of beats you up when you're an adult.

I get motion sickness too, but have never had that issue with Space. However, I've found it to be a very rough, jarring, unpleasant ride since they refurbed it. I did hear that the left side is much jerkier than the right though.

Space makes me nauseous and gives me a headache. And for some odd reason if I do ride it (rare) I spend the whole ride pressing down hard with my right foot. As if there is a brake....I have no idea why! Anyway, I would avoid it or ride it right before you leave the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter