Spa Services Upsale?

I understand that they charge the 18% even for Rainforest Room passes and such. I don't have a problem with tipping for massages received.

Yes they do. Part of cruising is expectant tips for services barely rendered.
Find a tipping thread to find out what auto tipping may occur if you are unsure. But it is not regarded as polite to remove that tip unless it is warranted.

we have an auto subscription service for Elemis spa products (what they use and sell on DCL)
so every month we get products to our door automatically

we can also comment that even though we write in "no upsell not interested or going to buy any products- we have a subscription service for Elemis products"

we STILL get the sells pitch after our spa services. Never once have we not had them try to sell us something.

Even when we decline and say we already use and buy Elemis products thru a subscription service...they still keep on trying to push the products.
We have even had them say they are exclusive to DCL and can only buy them on the ship. Which is not true...as we use the exact same product at home.
even once we had the girl trying to explain what the product is, what to do with it, what it does....it was completely incorrect as it was one of the products we use at home
she was trying to relate the product to what my wife wrote on the comment sheet about her "problem areas etc"

we get the impression they think we are making things up to get out of buying anything

we are really starting to hate doing treatments at the spa - due to the "high pressure" sales pitch afterwards
I understand they make money off these things. And the products are also 'marked up' higher than if you bought them yourself
but when then paying customer says "no thanks" that should be the end of the sells pitch
it should not be a 5- 10 min back and forth on why you need them

My DH and I had a Swedish couples massage on the Wonder a couple weeks ago. I read about the sales pitch at the end massages on the forum and was a little worried about them being pushy. We did not find them to be very pushy and we kindly decline the products. We really enjoyed our massages BUT we have never recieved a massage anywhere else.

I've only been on one cruise, but my cast mate on the fantasy was fabulous during my absolute spa ritual. She asked if I would use the product & I said probably not so she got up and left me to get dressed. Not a hard sale or I'll die without this product. It better be the same way this November.

DH and I did the couple's choice on the Magic a few weeks ago and while we did get some recommendations for products to purchase at the end, it wasn't a hard sell. A polite no was enough. I also had a facial later in the cruise and again, she made recommendations but I really didn't feel pressured. Maybe they have heard the complaints and are easing up?? But then, I've never really had any problem shutting down anyone trying to sell me something I don't want with a firm but polite no. The product push really didn't affect our spa experience at all.

If I want a product, I will ask about it. I have not had a spa service on the ship in many years, during my facial the lady was trying to tell me stuff and finally I told her I received wonderful facials at home and I would ask my normal esthetician as she saw me much more regularly and knew how my skin reacted to different items. Plus, she finally stopped trying to up sell me when I asked her what all the ingredients were and she could not list them. That was a bit bratty, but I was getting worked up from the up sell and that is not why I go to the spa. I just wanted a relaxing, non talking facial.

I guess there needs to be a massive amount of people writing to Disney that the up sell during "relaxing" spa services is a no go. I thought that is why we pay somewhat outrageous prices already, to make up for not being a regular and purchasing products. If you want me to listen to a sales pitch, I want to be paid for my time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter