• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spa? Saratoga or Dolphin

travlrmel

Earning My Ears
Hi,

I read that the spa at Grand Floridian is currently closed. (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/spas/)

I wasn't sure where to post this thread -- but I would like your input or suggestions for which location I should schedule a "spa day". I will be going to Florida for the Princess 1/2 marathon, and I would like to schedule a massage a day or two after the race.

I actually when to Aulani last November, and I am not sure there is anything that could compare to that experience.....

Does anyone have any experience or a TR that had recommendations?

Thanks!

I've never been to the spa at the Dolphin, but the one at SSR is aaaaaawesoooome(imagine me singing that in a light falsetto)! :thumbsup2

I have been to all 3 WDW spas. While I wouldn't rank any of them at the top of my spa experiences, they are each adequate. I go to the one that's most convenient to where I'm staying. If none are convenient, I probably like the SSR spa the best, followed by Mandara, and GF's would be third.

While I have not done Aulani, I have been to Hawaiian spas at the Four Seasons, the Ritz and the Grand Wailea. You are not going to get that level of experience at the WDW spas.

What really irritates me about the GF and SSR spas is the issue of the steam rooms being out of order. I would say that over the last 5 years the steam room has been out of service at both resorts 50% of the times I have been there. Last visit I called SSR the day before I had a treatment to confirm the steam room was operational and I was assured it was. Well by the next day, it was not.

It really has become a joke between DH and me.

I do not mind paying a premium for the spa services if I can enjoy the included amenities the spa offers. But I might as well just pay less and have a massage in one of the fitness centers.

Laura

I have been to SSR twice and Mandara once. I like them both- to me, the Mandara Spa was slightly nicer because of the whole "zen" thing they have going on there, and the treatment I got was a longer, more deluxe one. I wrote about it in a TR, here is a link to the post-

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=36645228&postcount=45

At SSR, I have done the Mystical Therapies treatment twice because i enjoy it so much and there was also a DVC discount. Here are some pics from that one-

The locker room-

2009_052006summer0035.jpg

Getting a pedicure with my GF Lonnie-

2009_052006summer0031.jpg

The spa-

2009_052006summer0036.jpg

And this is where you wait for your treatments-

2008_060206summer0215.jpg

If I were choosing one for my next trip, I would base it on proximity to my resort and/or treatment choice. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter