• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spa Help Please

buck0086

Mouseketeer
My wife and I will be celebrating our 15th Wedding Anniversary October 20-25. We'll be staying at BLT and the kids will be at home.

I'd like to do some special things on this trip including the spa. We are going to MNSSHP on October 21 and I thought we could sleep in a bit and then go to the spa on October 22.

I've never been to a spa or had a massage. My wife has had a few massages. I'd appreciate some help as to how the spa works and what I should book. We are using Disney transportation so I assume we should go to the Grand Floridian or Saratoga Springs.

Thanks for the help!

Buck

A quick look at Saratoga shows a couple's package, with a massage and hydrotherapy. Personally, I would want the stone therapy massage, a pedicure, and a manicure. My DH really enjoys a manicure... They just leave your nails natural ;) Some people don't like wraps if they are claustrophobic; I'm not sure I would want to try out a new facial while on holiday, in case the products reacted. Could you be more specific about how the spa works? Are you booking spa time as a surprise?

Thanks for the thoughts. We will be doing the spa together and it isn't a surprise. But I don't know a single thing about going to a spa and that's where I'd like some more direction. Thanks.

Buck

I also know nothing about spas and have never had a massage or anything. I am looking to book something for myself and DD (as a surprise). Is there some where i can see the prices? I dont have too much money too spend on them and plan on using the $50 coupon from the WDW GF website. Any suggestions?

I haven't been to a Disney spa (sigh) but pretty standard practice is that if you are doing a massage-type service you get a robe, usually there are slippers/sandals as well. Oh, and there is usually a form to fill out, specifying any health problems, concerns you have. The last pedicure i had they even asked if you're ticklish! I find it helpful to just be direct and upfront with the person about what you are/are not comfortable with, keeping in mind that they have seen it all! If you're having a massage, tell them if you have any trouble spots, if something they've done doesn't feel right. Let them know if something is too hot, etc. And it's always easiest to just ask, instead of laying/sitting there for half an hour wondering!
When you book, make it clear that it's a couple thing and they can try to work it out so even if you have different services, you see each other in between, etc.
Are those the sorts of things you mean?

Since we are staying at BLT it would be easier to go to the GF, but I've read that the Grand Floridian Spa is run down. Does anyone have any information or experience regarding the condition? Thanks.

Buck

I've been to the Saratoga Spa and basically book in advance as it books up fast. They will give you a robe and slippers and then you will go to a quiet area tuill its time for your treatment. Saratoga is a very nice spa they have steam rooms and saunas. You might alos want to check out the relaxedyet.com site for more info on the spa and their treatments. There is also a spa at the Dolphin which seems very nice and does some unusaul treatments. Best thing to remember is if it is your first time at a spa or your first massage or treatment that you let them know, don't be afraid to let them know if the pressue is to hard or soft if they are hurting you or if you are uncomfortable. Also you will have to disclose any medical conditions or concerns so they are aware of any sensitive areas. Just relax and have fun.

Relaxedyet.com click on locations and then whichever spa you want. It will have a list of service's and price's. I prefer The Grand Floridian Spa. The men and women have seperate waiting areas. This makes me feel more comfortable since you are a little naked under the robe:laughing:. At Saratoga you and your wife will wait in the same waiting area for service's. At each you can have couples service's or individual. If you plan to hang out for awhile you can also pre order a light lunch. At Grand Floridian DVC gets a 10% discount for a single treatment per person. At Saratoga the discount is only on certain treatments. Their web site also has a few discount coupons just click a complimentary gift to you(on upper left side of site). I also believe as a DVC member you can pick these up at your resort. I just prefer to print it ahead of time. I then use whichever discount is a better deal. You will also get the use of the hot tub and steam room with service's. Any specific questions feel free to ask. Susan

Thanks for the info. I read that the GF Spa was run down and SSR was much nicer. What experience have you had with that. Since we are staying at BLT, we'd prefer to go to the GF if it is nice.

Our overall plan for the day is to sleep in somewhat (8:00), get up, shower, have breakfast and then do the spa. What timing can you suggest and any thoughts as to where we should have breakfast? I was thinking maybe going to a restaurant at the GF but I don't know what would be good for this situation and what time to do it. Thanks.

Buck

Thanks for the info. I read that the GF Spa was run down and SSR was much nicer. What experience have you had with that. Since we are staying at BLT, we'd prefer to go to the GF if it is nice.

Our overall plan for the day is to sleep in somewhat (8:00), get up, shower, have breakfast and then do the spa. What timing can you suggest and any thoughts as to where we should have breakfast? I was thinking maybe going to a restaurant at the GF but I don't know what would be good for this situation and what time to do it. Thanks.

Buck

Grand Floridian Cafe would be a nice place for breakfast. Then it is a short walk to the spa. I don't consider the GF Spa run down. I usually book treatments for our group about 9am. About 10a-11a it starts to get really busy. I normally call about 60 days in advance to make sure i get the time I want. A lot of Bridal Parties seem to book early morning appointments.
Saratoga Springs Spa I believe opened about 7 years ago and the Spa at the Dolphin is the newest Spa. I have not been to the spa at the Dolphin. I would like to try this spa just haven't done so yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter