soy allergy questoin

casjen

DIS Veteran
Hi! I don't have a clear soy allergy, however I am indeed soy intolerant. I am wondering if people agree that soy licithin and soybean oil are safe for soy allergic/intolerant people to have?

I am 100% soy free right now but it is crazy restrictive. I was pretty soy free before but did have soybean oil and soy licithin as it was in everything.

I was going to do my own soy challenge again and have soybean oil but I was wondering if most intolerant/allergic people can eat it. My DH is insistant it is safe for me to eat.

FYI, my symptoms are all GI based. Gas and bloating mainly. I have UC so it can be hard to tease out exactly what is making me feel icky but soy is definitely one of the foods I avois, mainly in the form of tofu and soy milk etc.

Hi! I don't have a clear soy allergy, however I am indeed soy intolerant. I am wondering if people agree that soy licithin and soybean oil are safe for soy allergic/intolerant people to have?

I am 100% soy free right now but it is crazy restrictive. I was pretty soy free before but did have soybean oil and soy licithin as it was in everything.

I was going to do my own soy challenge again and have soybean oil but I was wondering if most intolerant/allergic people can eat it. My DH is insistant it is safe for me to eat.

FYI, my symptoms are all GI based. Gas and bloating mainly. I have UC so it can be hard to tease out exactly what is making me feel icky but soy is definitely one of the foods I avois, mainly in the form of tofu and soy milk etc.

I avoid soy because it messes with my estrogen levels (makes them skyrocket when I eat it), and I therefore avoid everything soy, even in my beauty products. Oil and lecithin included. Yeah, it's tough!! :sad2:

My son has a true IgE soy allergy and is able to tolerate soybean oil but not soy lecithin. In the beginning we avoided all 3 (for over a year actually). Our allergist suggested that we trial oil and lecithin each independently because many people with soy allergies are able to tolerate both of those but you have to get to a baseline first being completely soy free. My son past the oil challenge with flying colors... although to be honest my son gets VERY little soybean oil... I don't cook with it and not much that I buy for him contains it so its not like it opened much up for him. Having lecithin back definitely would have opened his diet up more... but he failed that challenge immediately... twice. :(

My DS has been completely soy free (lecithin and oil included) since he was 10 weeks old, because of reaction that put him in the hospital for four days. He will be 4 in two weeks. His soy allergy is FPIES, which is GI related, but puts the child in shock because of severe dehydration from continous vomiting and diarrhea for hours. You can google it to learn more about it. He now tests very high for an IgE soy allergy also, but because it's not in his diet, we don't know if he truly will be allergic to it, per IgE standards.

His pediatric allergist just contacted me last week to discuss a challenge. In March, he will be challenged with oreos--which include oil and lecithin. The allergist has no patients that react to the oil, but does have patients that react to the lecithin. Of course, any person can react to any food.

We are hopeful that DS will pass the challenge--not only for the ease of bringing so many foods into the house--but because he is required to have an IV because of the possible shock. We are nervous about putting him through the IV for nothing, if he doesn't pass.

Good luck with the challenge:hug:!

I am one of those unlucky people who developed a soy allergy as an adult. It is an actual allergy, and I can't have any soy oil or soy lecithin. I also have to avoid anything with "natural flavors" or "artificial flavors" because sometimes (but not always) the flavor has a soy base. A few companies will tell you what the flavor base is, but most don't so I just have to skip them. Fortunately, with tiny amounts I "only" get swelling around my lips and if I treat it right away then it doesn't progress to a full blown reaction.

Needless to say, I really don't eat out. Except at Disney, and this local Italian place by where we live.

Anyway, I would consult your doc and try things out, see how they go. Good luck!

Mary

I am highly allergic to soy based on the skin and blood test plus all nuts and legumes and I can tolerate soybean oil and soy lecithin. It seems to be very hit or miss for some reason.

It depends you since each person's reaction is different. I have lived with severe soy allergy (anaphylaxis to tofu) since I was a baby. I am now 32. I can't eat soy lecithin, natural flavors or soybean oil (even though FAAN considers soybean oil non-allergenic and alot of companies follow this advice)...it gives me rashes, hand and face eczema and a low immune system for days. I am also allergic to many PEGs in makeup (soy-derived) and Vitamin E (soy-derived)....as well as guar gum, which is very similar to soy protein.

I created a website and YouTube channel for people with peanut/soy and/or tree-nut allergies, so feel free to stop by! mayashappyplace.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter