• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Souvenir Mugs used more than once?

SArnhalt

Earning My Ears
We were at DL a couple of years ago and purchased the refillable mugs. Can those be used again when we go in 3 weeks or do we need to purchase new ones?

SArnhalt ,

Hummmmm.

Did you purchase your refillable mugs at Disneyland (DL) or at Walt Disney World (WDW) If DL I'm not realy sure. If WDW you had better fasten your seat belt it's going to be a bumpy ride.

But first

WELCOME TO THE DIS

Sorry to annoy anyone! - I bought them at WDW Dixie Landings. I assume that we cannot. But if we could, I thought I would bring them along. This must be something that has been asked many times before and irratates people. Just a simple "yes" or "no" is fine!

OK a simple..... "NO"

I do not mind to buy a new mug on my visits to the world. I have a very nice collection from so many resorts. We love to use our mugs here at home! I am sure that the mug pays for itself, after all if I had to pay for every cup of coffee or soft drink, etc. that I drink during my stay it far outway the cost of a mug.

Enjoy your trip and your new mug.....

if you want to reuse them, go ahead. You will hear alot of griping from the holier-than-thou crowd, but no one will stop you, and no one should really care what you do. enjoy your trip.

If the design is not different..who's going to know. I have mine packed in my bag for the WL in a couple of weeks.

Sorry you had some gripes. 'Hawk' seems to be easily irritated by people who do not know as much as they do. I frequently see his 'AAARRGHHH', (groan), etc comments. NOt what you should expect to hear most of the time on these boards.

Have fun.....

Disney policy is that the refillable mug is good for the length of the trip when you bought it, at the resort you bought it. But that's not to say you will be stopped from using it on a later trip.

By the way, the resort is now called Port Orleans - Riverside instead of Dixie Landing. So if your mug says Dixie Landing, it might be a problem.

take the old mugs and use them. If someone says something to you about them, just buy new ones....go ahead do-gooders; I gots my flame retardent suit on....

p.s. before we get all into the disney policy thing, just remember that some of us remember when disney policy was to tell guests that the cups were good for life and that you could bring them back and use them.

when disney policy was to tell guests that the cups were good for life and that you could bring them back and use them.

And that was just this past September LOL!

When we went to AllStar Movies in 2000 we used the mugs that we bought in 1997 at AllStar Sports.....they clearly had the 25th Anniversary emblem all over them - no one said a word.....

At CBR quite a few years ago we were told they were good for life. So assuming this was still true, my boyfriend and I brought them along in June of 2002 and Jan of 2003. We didn't know you "are not supposed to use them" and used them. We used them in front of CM's and NOONE said a thing. I think you could walk up with a Dixie Cup and they wouldn't care!
Like said above, if you get hassle, go buy a new one, but try the old ones and use the "I was told they were good for life!" excuse....I'm sure they won't beat you severely over it :)
And to all those that disagree, I apologize, I am only speaking from my experience!

There are a couple of things that it's generally agreed are at least "tacky" and at most "highway robbery:"

1) Using refillable mugs from one resort at a different resort

2) Filling mugs or cups from outside WDW at the food courts

I've seen people doing both these things.

If you're using the proper mug at the resort you're staying at, I personally couldn't care less when you bought it.

As you can tell this is a subject that for some reason gets many people very emotional. It has in the past several months been getting calmer and calmer, but for some reason this touches many peoples hot buttons.

Do not apoloigize for asking - how else can you find out!

Welcome to the DIS SArnhalt!

As stated, the official rule is that the mugs are good for one resort for one stay. Most resorts have signs posted that state so... However, in practice WDW has a "Free soft drinks for guests" program at the resorts. Old mugs, mugs from different resort, non-WDW drink containers are used by guests will little or no ill effect. CM's don't care in large part, and those that may say something are probably new on the job. When asked, most food court CM's will say they are good for life, even though a sign over their shoulders contradicts them. Other CMs will tell you that as long as the mug has "Disney" somewhere on it, it's OK. Basically, chaos reigns. People, like me, that stick to the "rules" used to champion them here, but quite frankly I've decided that if WDW doesn't care enough to lift a finger to enforce their own rules (other than responding to e-mailed queries with the official policy), then why should I waste my energy? I think that's why it's gotten calmer here on the topic.

Isn't it great to have more than one answer! Well...there you have it. The answer is YES and NO. :p

I think the OP got the answer now...now let's move right along. :)

Is there any other questions that we may help you with, we would more than gladly to answer them as best as we can. And BTW...Welcome to the DIS Board!

:wave: :wave2:

Originally posted by DisFam95
Sorry you had some gripes. 'Hawk' seems to be easily irritated by people who do not know as much as they do. I frequently see his 'AAARRGHHH', (groan), etc comments. NOt what you should expect to hear most of the time on these boards.
Have fun.....

Sorry, I forget myself sometimes! :rolleyes: Most-times;)

Hawk

Originally posted by DMRick
And that was just this past September LOL!
We were told the same thing this past August...AT these fine locations:

*Contemporary Resort: "Oh yes, these mugs are good for every time/year you visit WDW and the Contemporary resort, for the rest of your life." (Right!)

*Disney's Vero Beach mug was the same as the BW: "Oh certainly you may use the same mug, (said the associate in the Boeardwalk Bakery after I exclaimed we just bought that mug at Vero Beach). Since you already bought this mug at Vero Beach, just bring it in for free refills anywhere along/in the BW!" (LOL).

*Blizzard Beach: "Your new mug is stamped for Monday, so you can return next monday (or any monday), and receive the refill special!" (Yep...sounds good!)

*Disney Cruise line: "Now this mug is good for any cruise on the Disney Wonder through the rest of the year." (Like...we're going to take a few more cruises before the end of the year!).

Of course...we have a cupboard full of these dated, annual souvenier mugs~and have never returned with old mugs (or done any of the above!). Yet, anyone whom wishes to do so is free to make their own decision. None of us here on this board is able to prevent these things from occurring. We are only able to "express" our opinions...and what we know if "correct" Disney Policy. Contrary to many of the CM's and associates, I do believe Disney Policy prohibits the RE-USE of mugs purchased from an earlier trip. Yet, without any true preventive measures in place, it is a difficult (nearly impossible) policy to enforce. Hopefully, the OP will opt to kindly purchase a new mug, and start a NEW COLLECTION of these endearing beverage holders. ::yes:: Enjoy!

TTFN....DF99 :wave2:

When purchasing our new mugs at WL last week, DH asked the CM for one of the small (car cups) and one of the larger ones. The CM responded that they were phasing out the larger ones and asked if we visited the Lodge frequently. When DH told her it was our second stay, the CM asked why we hadn't brought our old mugs with us.

FWIW the mugs at WL now say they are good for refills until the end of your stay.

Take both pieces of information for what they are worth and form your own conclusions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter