Souvenir money

CandMmommy

September
For your kiddos. Do u budget daily or just one set price? Can a small child buy something for 10 bucks?
Are there decent things to bring back for grandparents etc?
Lastly, can Disney gift cards be used in dtd stores like build a bear?

my kids are each taking $100 for the 3 days and that is for souvenirs and treats. We will buy all of their meals but if they want desserts and treats then that will come out of their money so they will be more choosy. My kids are 4 and 7 and I don't think they will spend it all since they won't want to buy clothes.

When DD1 was younger, we let her pick out one item for the whole trip. We'd usually buy it towards the end of the trip so she could shop at various stores. Now that she has some allowance/tooth fairy money, she's allowed to spend it as she pleases. Since it's coming out of her own pocket, she's definitely a lot more thoughtful about what she picks out.

Yes, there are things a small child can pick out. Last time, DD1 bought a $8 ring set.

There are kitchen items or clothes for the grandparents. Food, also. Lots of different things, really. Just depends on what catches your fancy.

I will buy things related to his interests at Target and Mickey makes a surprise visit only if my son is good the previous day. On the last day, we let him pick something in a price range we set. I bring his snacks because of his allergies.

Parents are giving the girls 100 Disney gift cards before we go. I love the idea of buying treats and snacks out of there too!

When we went to WDW in 2010, we put $50 on gift cards for each of our kids, and explained that once it was gone, it was gone. Our daughter saved pretty much every penny (minus the cost of a lollipop) for 10 full days of the trip. We finally had to talk her into spending it. Our son blew through his in about 2.5 days.
I like the gift cards because I think that it teaches kids about budgeting, making sure that they REALLY want whatever it is they're buying, and gives them an independence that they wouldn't usually have to shop for themselves.

That said, when I was there in December, I spent about $20 on each kid, and was able to get them both a couple of cute and nice things. I don't think that you need to go overboard at all.

My kids spending $$$ is what they collect in the piggy bank prior to going on the trip. They clean out my pockets at night and whatever they find lying around the house. We'll take the coins and count/roll them if we have time or take them to a coinstar and cash them in. They usually go to Disneyland with at least $200 in their pockets..

My girls each bring $100 each and then I will buy things I want them to have so then it ends up being more. I can't help it. :goodvibes That's what I'm there for! LOL! They have toys that are at the Disney store. Sometimes they cost more some times the same. I have noticed depending on what store they are at they can be things you may have a hard time finding at home. The Toy Story Mania store is one of my favorites. They also have Disney themed board games in the parks. They Potato Head pieces are something you can only get in DL. There are things for all price ranges.

We let them pick out a $20-25 souvenier (sometimes a little more depending on the object). We buy them each a pin for their lanyard. In WDW we had a bigger spending limit (once in a lifetime trip) but the younger girls stayed under and there were a few extras we had already budgeted for my oldest to get something at Universal's Harry Potter, and DS got a Spiderman at US and a build a dino at T-Rex.

I usually give the kids a budget of $100 each, plus whatever grandma may give them for the trip. They know that once they spend the money it's gone, so they are careful how they spend it. If what they want to purchase is slightly more than what they have (under $5) then I will kick in the difference. I find that when it's their money, they are more picky in what they spend it on.

I do not see that anyone has answered this questions. I do not believe you can use a Disney GC at the DTD stores other then World of Disney.

I think there are some stores in DTD that you can use your gift card at, because I seem to remember using my room key to purchase things in DTD, and I would think that's like the same. I could very well be wrong (most likely :rotfl:) but it might be a store to store thing. Thinking the best thing to do would be to call Build-a-Bear if that's the specific store you are wondering about.

There are plenty of inexpensive things to buy. I think there are pins that are $4-$5, those mickey suckers are $6 for 5 or 6, and I'm thinking there are a lot more sweets that are cheap. The antenna balls are inexpensive as well, keychains, and magnets. Lots of little goodies (I have shopped at DLR for stocking stuffers before).

We're in the $20-$25 camp, too. My kids are much more interested in the "doing" than the "getting" while at DLR. They've grown up getting to go to Disneyland and DCA a lot, though...if it was a very infrequent thing, or a once-in-a-lifetime trip, I'd probably give them each $100 to spend (which they probably wouldn't spend because they wouldn't want to waste ride time on something so trivial as shopping, lol).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter