Southwest Pre-Boarding??

We flew home yesterday on SW, MCO to DEN. There was a family of 5, with 3 children looking about 5 and under who were among the last to board. The flight attendents announced more than once that we weren't going to take off until that family was accomodated in a group of 3 and a group of 2. They were not about to let any of those children sit alone. They were way in the back and I don't know what happened, but since we made it home, I guess someone moved.

On the other hand, the last 2 people to board were a mother and her son who looked about 8. They were separated and the FAs didn't ask anyone to move for them.

Pam
Southwest separated my son and our (at the time) 5 yo son on our return flight home from Disney 2 years ago. No one on the plan would move to let them sit together (the FA did announce and tried). Thankfully, one of the seats available was with a mom and a similiar age son, so our son sat there in the back of the plane and played and dad sat in the middle

OK, enough of the preaching on my thread........I didn't start this thread to read responses where people are preaching and arguing with each other.

I (and no one else) stated that arriving 'late' entitles you to a seat since you have a young child. "I" simply stated that I am willing to wait for the family boarding (between A/B), as there is AMPLE room left between these groups.

That is all you read on this board anymore is preaching and arguing..

also realize that even with planning things don't work out all right. Our kids first trip I had my oldest with me on AA (I had gold status) so we could avoid lines and have a better selection of seats (plus preboarding etc). I also had the requirement that we needed to sit towards the front and away from the engines (due to my son's hearing issues and problems with loud noises).

Even reserving seats 4 months in advanced, I couldn't get seats together that met our needs. I actually had to call AA and ask them to somehow fit us in (we ended up across the aisle from each other) because I still couldn't get the seats after they opened up the rest of the reserved seats.

Was this response for me?? If so, where exactly did I say I planned on arriving late, and expecting someone to give up a seat for me and my kids?? I'd LOVE to see where you 'think' I wrote that. I'm not sure why everything on this board has to turn into a 'lesson' on how to live, because that is not the question I asked. I've flown SW MANY times, and just wanted to see if they still allowed families to board between the A's and B's. I know FULL WELL to be there well before boarding, and secure my spot in the pre-boarding line, regardless if I have the coveted 'A' pass.

Furthermore EVEN IF I don't print the boarding passes for the A-group, there are still ample seats left over between the A-B boarding for families to find seats together. Basically there is still a half-empty plane after the A's board.

Some of you really need to relax and stop preaching to everyone.
Ah...not preaching here, not even close. And I truly don't appreciate being told that I am. No one, certainly not I, said anything about your arriving late. You are not the only person who has posted on this thread. True, you did start the thread. And things were going along quite nicely until some decided to post about 'making' other passengers give them what they want. Those are the posts I responded to..not yours.
I am sure that you 'get it' when it comes to flying SW...at least you seem to. But, things have changed now, and many are not aware of the changes to SW boarding policy, so many of us here try to make sure that everyone is up to speed...which you seem to be.

Was not rudeness but rather a severe autistic son who needs help non stop. Be careful before you judge...ipods and such do not work in that situation and neither do strangers.
So, then you think that because you have special needs in your family that you can just have people move for you?? Nope. You can pay for EBCI, or you can check in yourself at the 24 hr mark. I haven't heard of anyone who has checked in, within 15 mins of that 24 hr mark, that has not been able to get two seats together, someplace on the plane. If this type boarding makes you nervous then perhaps paying more for your fare but having a seats that you have chosen, will work out better for you.
I am sorry that you have an autistic son, who needs constant care. But that does not trump someone else's right to the seat they chose. Again....plan ahead if certain seating is neccesary.

OK, enough of the preaching on my thread........I didn't start this thread to read responses where people are preaching and arguing with each other.

I (and no one else) stated that arriving 'late' entitles you to a seat since you have a young child. "I" simply stated that I am willing to wait for the family boarding (between A/B), as there is AMPLE room left between these groups.

That is all you read on this board anymore is preaching and arguing..
Not true. Not true at all. But there does seem to be a certain group of people (not you) that feels that their particular needs outweighs everyone else's needs. Let me share a story here...
years ago, before the advent of the current seating policy at SW (had to arrive early and stand in place in the group you had been able to get into..not so much fun) my dd and I arrived at TF Green. It was about 2 1/2 hrs before flight departure but we wanted to be in the A group. So, we plopped our carryon bag down in the A group line section. One of us would stand/sit there for a bit, then we would change places and that person would go sit in a real 'chair'. It was a huge pain in the butt. Well, we watched as a woman walked around the gate area with her son..he looked to be about 4-5ish. I figured she was on another flight since she never seemed to be in our 'area' of the gate. Well, time came for boarding, the woman walked away from our gate area and headed to the bathroom. It was at a time when those with children under 4 were allowed to board first. We got on board the plane and took our seats. The rest of the A group boarded, then the B's. Finally the C's got on....some of them had to split up their group due to a lack of seating next to each other. But not a huge number.
Well, we thought we were going to leave, but no. The FA came along, with that woman and her son. Seems they now needed to be seated together!!! Rather than board when they should have, they puttered around and were now banking on the generosity of other passengers to give up their seats. No one moved, not one person. Then came the announcement...'People, this plane is not pulling away from the gate until this mother and child are seated together. So..again, I need two people to split up and allow them to be seated together. Finally a man and woman gave up their seats, together, to that mother. Fair? Nope, I don't think so.
This is why I get so irritated with those who feel their needs are more important than anyone else's.
This is a 'discussion' board. People are free to give their opinions as long as they are polite and civilized. The other thing that is of utmost importance is that the info given out here is correct info!!!

Fair enough........it just seemed a couple of those posts were directed at me, and I've flown enough to know NOT to show up 10min before the flight departs!! LOL. I also would NEVER expect favors for my own mistakes.

In the same breath, I do appreciate the fact that people shouldn't 'expect' things that they didn't plan themselves. BUT I don't see alot of these same replies for the other hot-topic discussion of bus seating?? It seems when bus seating is brought up, then suddenly everyone (or most) think you should immediately give up seats.

Fair enough........it just seemed a couple of those posts were directed at me, and I've flown enough to know NOT to show up 10min before the flight departs!! LOL. I also would NEVER expect favors for my own mistakes.

In the same breath, I do appreciate the fact that people shouldn't 'expect' things that they didn't plan themselves. BUT I don't see alot of these same replies for the other hot-topic discussion of bus seating?? It seems when bus seating is brought up, then suddenly everyone (or most) think you should immediately give up seats.[/QUOTE]

Nope, not me. I have no idea why someone who is already seated might really need that seat. I'm almost 61 and don't expect anyone to give me their seat. Granted, I don't look that old, but still. I have had a few young men get up but I tell them to give it to a young mother with a baby in her arms. But, that's a thread for another time...one I'm sure will come along soon.

In the same breath, I do appreciate the fact that people shouldn't 'expect' things that they didn't plan themselves. BUT I don't see alot of these same replies for the other hot-topic discussion of bus seating?? It seems when bus seating is brought up, then suddenly everyone (or most) think you should immediately give up seats.

You must not be reading the same posts that I do, because I think the whole giving up a seat thing vs not is pretty evenly split. And those of us who think you should take care of that issue yourself by planning (like me!) are pretty vocal.

If you need a seat (in either case) then you need to make the proper arrangements. Don't think that all other passengers should scramble to meet your needs when you didn't take the time to do it yourself.

You must not be reading the same posts that I do, because I think the whole giving up a seat thing vs not is pretty evenly split. And those of us who think you should take care of that issue yourself by planning (like me!) are pretty vocal.

If you need a seat (in either case) then you need to make the proper arrangements. Don't think that all other passengers should scramble to meet your needs when you didn't take the time to do it yourself.

I agree completely.....that is why I post questions like this (boarding) to make sure I'm not left without a seat, or without proper planning.

In real life its a rarity that anyone is every rude to me, on a plane, bus, train, or otherwise. There are more rude people on the internet than in real life, that is a fact. I get my butt kicked by little old ladies on the internet on a daily basis, but that has never happened in real life.

Wow- 39 pages?

I rarely ride Disney buses because we get a rental car. But I sure wouldn't be giving up my seat to a kid just because he's a kid.

Yeah, it's long. I said what I needed to say, and left it as is. The thread started to become too long to follow.

Southwest separated my son and our (at the time) 5 yo son on our return flight home from Disney 2 years ago. No one on the plan would move to let them sit together (the FA did announce and tried). Thankfully, one of the seats available was with a mom and a similiar age son, so our son sat there in the back of the plane and played and dad sat in the middle
Just so parents in general know... Southwest allows children to fly as unaccompanied minors as young as five. Given that a five year old can fly several miles above, and several thousand geographic miles away from, a parent/guardian, it's not unreasonable that a five year old can be expected (by the airline as well as, admittedly, seated passengers unwilling to move) to fly in the same plane as a parent/guardian but separated by only some rows.

boxer said:
Fair enough........it just seemed a couple of those posts were directed at me
Nah, we're pretty blunt here :rotfl2: Posts directed at you will (generally) quote you - as does this one ;).

In real life its a rarity that anyone is every rude to me, on a plane, bus, train, or otherwise. There are more rude people on the internet than in real life, that is a fact. I get my butt kicked by little old ladies on the internet on a daily basis, but that has never happened in real life.
Oh, yeah? Who do you think you're calling old, you young whippersnapper, you! :rotfl2:

Yeah, it's long. I said what I needed to say, and left it as is. The thread started to become too long to follow.
Yep - fortunately, the Disney Dads stopped by and redirected the tone to a MUCH more pleasant one, and the Moderators closed the thread (if that's the one I think it is - I'm afraid to look :umbrella: )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter