• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Southwest points?

The change went live today. Instead of all tickets costing 70 points per dollar (minus taxes), the points are now fluctuating depending on the flight. I read that some of the international flights now cost more points.

That doesn't sound too drastic. Of course, I am pretty much only interested in flights to Orlando. :) also still hoping that they offer the 50,000 bonus sign up credit for the visa again.

That doesn't sound too drastic. Of course, I am pretty much only interested in flights to Orlando. :) also still hoping that they offer the 50,000 bonus sign up credit for the visa again.

Go to Flyer Talk forums and look under the Southwest forum and there is a thread that members have multiple referrals for the SW Plus Card that gives you 50k points. I got one from a member there this week so in a month I will have my companion pass.

The Southwest Airlines *regular visa* you are referring to is called a *Personal VISA*

There are two types of *personal visa*

1. Premium (fee $99)

2. Plus (fee $69)

There are also two types of *business visa* :thumbsup2

Actually, I've just been reading that they discontinued the business plus card. It is currently not listed on the SW site.

Actually, I've just been reading that they discontinued the business plus card. It is currently not listed on the SW site.

I revised my post ...

Also it is called ... *premier* not a *premium* card.

Last edited:
Does that mean that some of the flights could have gone down?
One of mine did, technically. I booked a RT I have as 2 one ways, just in case this happened. I originally used 12,000 points outbound and 13,000 inbound for direct flights. All the direct flights were the same, so I picked ones so I could share a cab with my boss whose flying Delta. But I kept watching in case the fare went on sale. It did, but the lower price was sold out for my travel dates and my outbound had gone up to 13,000 and change. When I checked again yesterday it was at 14,000 but the other direct flight 4 hours later was down to 10,000. I didn't think it was worth switching to get 2,000 points back.

PS that site always seems to offer that 50,000 point bonus.

PS that site always seems to offer that 50,000 point bonus.
Thanks, but do you think it would work for the other card? Because he already has the premier. Want to try and get both cards so that he can qualify for the companion pass. Got the premier card about a month ago through and email direct offer.

Thanks, but do you think it would work for the other card? Because he already has the premier. Want to try and get both cards so that he can qualify for the companion pass. Got the premier card about a month ago through and email direct offer.
That companion pass is the best, I got one last year and used it 6 times. Great savings! I don't know if you can get the other can with that site.
Southwest probably will have the other offers around Memorial day.

Can someone tell me about how many roundtrip flights you can get with 50,000 points? We need 6 tickets from RDU to MCO Oct 30-Nov7. Just wondering if I applied how many of the tickets would be able to use points from the card. What is the companion pass?

Can someone tell me about how many roundtrip flights you can get with 50,000 points? We need 6 tickets from RDU to MCO Oct 30-Nov7. Just wondering if I applied how many of the tickets would be able to use points from the card. What is the companion pass?

You can look up your flights on the southwest website and there is a spot you click to look up the flight by points instead of $. Also I believe the 50000 points equals $800, so it just depends how much the flights cost when you buy them.

Can someone tell me about how many roundtrip flights you can get with 50,000 points? We need 6 tickets from RDU to MCO Oct 30-Nov7.
May not be worth it if ticket prices go up by the time the 50k points are in your account. I'd give it about 5 weeks from application approval to points in your account, that's assuming you spend 3k within the first few days of getting the card and everything clears by the time your statement date closes.

FYI if you have a chase card, you can gauge what your new SWA card's closing date's going to be. Mine had no relation to when I opened the account.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter