Southwest Opinions Needed!!!!!

We are a family of 4 and have stopped flying other airlines (that we were VERY loyal too!) and have been flying southwest for the past 2-3 years. The prices are SOO much better for us - 150$ or so when you count fair and the 25$ luggage each way costs even wth EBCI.

We have done family boarding a few times but recently started doing EBCI - either is fine but DH prefers the certainty.

We have had good luck with wifi airplanes - just make sure you have the app installed before hand.

We are a family of 4 and have stopped flying other airlines (that we were VERY loyal too!) and have been flying southwest for the past 2-3 years. The prices are SOO much better for us - 150$ or so when you count fair and the 25$ luggage each way costs even wth EBCI.

We have done family boarding a few times but recently started doing EBCI - either is fine but DH prefers the certainty.

We have had good luck with wifi airplanes - just make sure you have the app installed before hand.
Where do I find the app?

Where do I find the app?
You don't need the app to use the onboard WiFi. A few days prior to your flight you should receive an email that explains how to use the service. If you want the app anyway you can find it in the travel section of the Apple App store. Don't know about android but I'm sure it would be the same in the Google App store. It's a free app.

As to flying SW, I've been flying with them almost exclusively for the last 10 years for US domestic flights. I live in Canada but am close to BUF and it is my preferred airport. I have found that almost all the SW ground staff and in flight crew to be very friendly and helpful. The flights are on time or early and there is a great selection of flight times available. I'm not tall but I have long legs and on other carriers I find that my knees are touching the back of the seat in front of me. On SW my knees don't touch and there is room to spare which makes for a pain free experience. I don't mind the boarding process at all but I find that I do stress a tiny bit over checking in at T-24....I have this mental block about only getting an A. Really it doesn't matter because my youngest kid is 17 so no need for seats together.

Southwest is not always the cheapest option for us. I don't/won't pay for early bird check in and I e always gotten A priority 24 hours before.

I like SWA but like anything these days you have to do your research to find out what the pro's and con's are (as you have begun to do!) with every airline that offers a route for your trip.
We fly often as a family 4/5 times a year and I fly at least that for work.

What I like about SWA -
Choose your own seat - I do purchase the EBCI and just add it to the cost when comparing but I like walking on an choosing my seat.
2 Free checked bags - most airlines charge at least $25 for the first checked bags which to me negates the above EBCI fee.
No change fees - if you need to change or cancel your flight you won't be charged a penalty and can use that $ for a flight anytime within a year.
No worries about seat changes - my dd's flew AA two weeks ago with choice seats (additional fee) and with an equipment change the seats were changed. They were still in "choice seats" but not together. Since they are older it wasn't an issue but when they were young we were often separated in instances just like this on legacy airlines.
Flights and times rarely change and when there is a delay I find the customer service very good

If SWA is offering reasonable flights for your dates especially non stop then I wouldn't hesitate to fly them. Again - compare all fees with all airlines and see what works for your family, dates and home airport/destination. More and more airlines are now charging for checked bags, carry on bags, seat selection, snacks and even soft drinks. Also watch for change or cancellation fees unless/until your dates are set.

My family really enjoys flying SW. You get to check two bags up to 50lbs a piece for free, and get a carry on and a personal item to take on the plane with you. You can get Early Bird Check In for like $12, I think, and that gets you a better boarding position. I believe you would board in B group if you do EBC. You get to choose any available seat, there is no assigned seating, which I prefer. Most of their flights have free wifi, and you can also use the check in services at your disney resort for your departure if you fly SW.

Another SW fan especially with small children. The no fees for 2 bags meant we could check our DD's car seat for free.

I actually like the open seating with small children. While I do everything possible to keep my child entertained and behaved I do like that if someone doesn't want to sit near a child they have an option - unlike assigned seating on other airlines.

I also like how easy it is to earn points for rewards from their cc and I'm a frequent user of their shopping rewards. You can also exchange your change for SW gift cards at the coin machines in supermarkets near me.

My family really enjoys flying SW. You get to check two bags up to 50lbs a piece for free, and get a carry on and a personal item to take on the plane with you. You can get Early Bird Check In for like $12, I think, and that gets you a better boarding position. I believe you would board in B group if you do EBC. You get to choose any available seat, there is no assigned seating, which I prefer. Most of their flights have free wifi, and you can also use the check in services at your disney resort for your departure if you fly SW.
EBCI is $15. It checks you in at 36hrs instead of 24hrs. That could possibly get you an A for boarding but there is no guarantee. It all depends on how many people have purchased it. You could get an A,B or even C. So far I have not heard of anyone getting a C but it is not outside the realm of possibility.

I love SW. Many of us on DIS fly them often. Flight from Newark (I live in central NJ and also fly them out of PHL) are short, so having your entire group sit together is not a huge issue. 2 (I think?) would pre board with the infant after the As.

I think the unassigned seating gets people to board faster, just my observation. (People are more motivated, lol). The planes, even the older ones, are more comfortable than a few horrible flights I have had on NEW United planes. The onboard TV (FREE) using your tablets or other devices is fantastic for entertainment. I usually read my kindle but it is a good option.

SW is always our go-to for flying to Orlando. We always pay for the Early Bird check in to ensure that we are in the early boarders. Not having to pay the baggage fees for any checked luggage along with generally lower costs and direct flights to MCO make it the best and cheapest way to go IMHO

I fly SW and American the most. Average 24 -36 flights a year.
Taking SW tomorrow to Jazz Fest. They are easy - and heck I PREFER the no seat assignments.

We have trips planned for Aug 2017 and Oct 217. We will be 5 adults and 1 infant. We would be flying from Newark to Orlando Non-Stop. We are considering flying Southwest, we have never flown SW but after looking at the HUGE price difference in air fare, IT IS VERY TEMPTING!!!! I would love to hear some pro's and con's compared to other airlines!! THANK YOU!!!!!
I fly SW often from NY to Tampa. It's my fav airline. The planes are in great shape, seats large enough that you don't need extra legroom and they are on time often. Don't let the unassigned seats scare you. Pay the 12:50 extra each way for early boarding and I've always gotten whatever seats I wanted. As others have stated, no change fees, free luggage and if price goes down, you can rebook at the lower price. Try that on other airlines.

I'm a Southwest fan and try to fly with them when I can. A few things:
- As others have pointed out, comparing what would be this years fares to what they will be next year, including comparing against other airlines, probably isn't valid. I've paid $49 for a Southwest fare one year only to see it go up to over $200 for the same period the following year. Airlines are constantly tinkering with fares, routes, number of flights, etc., so it's hard to predict how things will be a year from now.
- A big advantage with Southwest is the ability to change or rebook your flight. After you book, if you see the cost of the flight go down, rebook it. You don't get cash back, but a Southwest credit that you can use for a future flight within one year of your original booking date.
- Although they've gone out a little more than they used to, Southwest does not have as long a booking window as many other airlines. That's not so great for the way in advance planners, but good in that they tend to change the times of a scheduled flight much less frequently than other airlines.
- Of course, the free baggage is a big plus
- Southwest made a decision a couple years back to not go with inseat entertainment, because they found that most people were bringing their laptops/tablets/smartphones anyway. They've added wi-fi to many flights to handle the entertainment that way.
- With a young child, even without EBCI, you'll be able to board after the A group. That's a maximum of 60 people ahead of you, often much less. There will definitely be entire sections of the plane available, including empty rows. I can't remember if its one or two adults that can board with the young child. Even if its one, getting a second adult next to you likely won't be a problem unless they have a terrible boarding position. Most people boarding tend to stay away from young children if they can.

Don't let the unassigned seats scare you. Pay the 12:50 extra each way for early boarding...

I might add ... the price of EBCI increased recently.

It is now ... $15.00 one way ... $30.00 round trip.

I think she is trying to point out that you cannot depend on Southwest being cheaper next year. There is no way to know this far out. You made it clear in your original post that price was a huge reason you are considering Southwest. Which is fine, but as the old saying goes, Don't count your chickens before they hatch.
While there is no way to know for sure, southwest is fairly consistent from year to year, with slight increases, same time of year to same time of year has been relatively similar, also relatively comparable to other airlines. I watch airfare rates pretty regularly, and have been comparing my travel dates to similar travel days year over year.
Southwest really is great, the biggest con is the non assigned seats, but early bird is great way to go, as well as family boarding if you have one or two children under age 5. Also if you flying out at say a not so prime time, you may not even need the early bird. I flew on southwest one time that we had only 45 passengers, it was a 5:30 am flight, everyone had a whole row to themselves,.. But that's luck of the draw

I only fly Southwest, to me they beat all airlines hands down ! Airfare changes often and you can simply switch to the lower rate online, it's quick and easy ! I have rebooked my flights at a lower rate many many times and that leaves you credit towards your next trip (use within one year) flight attendants are always fun too ! There's plenty of entertainment too with the onboard player

While there is no way to know for sure, southwest is fairly consistent from year to year, with slight increases, same time of year to same time of year has been relatively similar, also relatively comparable to other airlines. I watch airfare rates pretty regularly, and have been comparing my travel dates to similar travel days year over year.
Southwest really is great, the biggest con is the non assigned seats, but early bird is great way to go, as well as family boarding if you have one or two children under age 5. Also if you flying out at say a not so prime time, you may not even need the early bird. I flew on southwest one time that we had only 45 passengers, it was a 5:30 am flight, everyone had a whole row to themselves,.. But that's luck of the draw

Southwest prices this fall are not at all consistent with last fall. Last fall was much cheaper. Hopefully prices will drop but as of now tickets are much higher this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter