Southwest New Family Boarding (test)

So I have never flown SW. I purchased a flight and purchased what I believe you are referring to as EBCI (it was $12) because dd (9) and I are flying together. I understood that to mean we could pick our seats 24 hours ahead. Obviously that isn't true. So what category am I in? A or B? And if I am B does that mean that every person with someone 1 year younger than my dd on a flight TO DISNEY aka everyone will board before us? SO I spent $48 for nothing?
With EBCI SW will automatically check you in, and assign you a boarding position 36 hours before your flight. You won't be able to see your positon until 24 hours before your flight. Your position will still be what was assigned 36 hours before your flight, even if you don' check it until one hour before your flight. You don't pick your seats until you get on the airplane then you take watever empty seat you want, except a person 15 or under can't sit at the exit row. Currently Family Boarding at all cities, except Orlando, is 4 years younger. The Orlando test will end about May 18. After SW evaluates the data they will decide if Family Boarding will change and if it does what the change will be.

I don't understand how anybody with a kid under 15 could not purchase the EBCI and risk the chance of their child being separated from them for $12. That was a no brainer for me.

I don't understand how anybody with a kid under 15 could not purchase the EBCI and risk the chance of their child being separated from them for $12. That was a no brainer for me.

We have flown SW plenty of times without it. We only got it a few times when we didn't want to be bothered checking in while we were at Disney. To me, it is generally not necessary and a waste of money. Yet I am not saying I can't understand how anyone would waste money on it or that NOT buying it is a no-brainer. Everyone is different in their feelings and your post implies negative things about those of us who don't buy it. I don't buy travel insurance either, some people do. I see EBCI as a similar thing.

We have flown SW plenty of times without it. We only got it a few times when we didn't want to be bothered checking in while we were at Disney. To me, it is generally not necessary and a waste of money. Yet I am not saying I can't understand how anyone would waste money on it or that NOT buying it is a no-brainer. Everyone is different in their feelings and your post implies negative things about those of us who don't buy it. I don't buy travel insurance either, some people do. I see EBCI as a similar thing.
I guess if you mean I'm implying people with young kids who don't buy the EBCI and then expect to get in line before those who did because they have young kids are wrong- I'm not implying it. I'm saying it. If you have young kids you should buy the EBCI or risk being separated from them. And yes I'm saying negative things about anyone who thinks a 5 or 6 or even 7,8 year old sitting alone on a flight is ok. It's not ok. I'm not implying it at all. Why would that EVER be ok?

Southwest's Unaccompanied Minor range is from 5 to 12. These children are flying without a parent, relative, or legal guardian on the plane at all. SWA, and all other airlines, charges extra for this service, but nobody from the airline sits with the child. The flight crew is responsible for everyone, not just UMs. A parent flying on the plane separated from their child is still on the plane.

what is the difference when a parent is separated on a flight and the parent who has to put a 5 year old or little older child on a plane by court order. on our last few flights there has been 7 and 8 year olds flying to other parent's house without mom. FAs were not able to just sit with the child and a stranger was sitting next to the child. only extra attention child seemed to get was child had to wait for everyone else to deplane before FA could walk child off plane. this child was just turning 7 while at father's house

I guess if you mean I'm implying people with young kids who don't buy the EBCI and then expect to get in line before those who did because they have young kids are wrong- I'm not implying it. I'm saying it. If you have young kids you should buy the EBCI or risk being separated from them. And yes I'm saying negative things about anyone who thinks a 5 or 6 or even 7,8 year old sitting alone on a flight is ok. It's not ok. I'm not implying it at all. Why would that EVER be ok?

Why wouldn't it be ok? Are you with your children 24/7? Do you ride the school bus with them? At least on an aircraft you are in the same space as your child, even if you sit away from them. And as the previous poster pointed out, many children have to fly alone to get from one parent to the other. Maybe your child flying alone or sitting by themselves is not a choice you would make. But it is still a valid choice.

Some kids fly all the time with their parents all over the world. Flying is no big deal for them and they don't need Mommy holding their hand for a 2 hour flight.

So I have never flown SW. I purchased a flight and purchased what I believe you are referring to as EBCI (it was $12) because dd (9) and I are flying together. I understood that to mean we could pick our seats 24 hours ahead. Obviously that isn't true. So what category am I in? A or B? And if I am B does that mean that every person with someone 1 year younger than my dd on a flight TO DISNEY aka everyone will board before us? SO I spent $48 for nothing?
Ok. When you purchase EBCI, SW will automatically check you in at the 36 hr mark, vs the 24 hr mark when everyone else is checking in. The sooner you can check in, means the lower numbered boarding slot you'll get. You don't get to actually choose a seat when you check in...you do that when you actually board the plane. See an empty seat you like? Sit in it.

Did you spend the money needlessly? No. There will still be plenty of people behind you. this is how SW boards. There are three letter slots, A, B, and C. So, medical preboards are boarded first. They are not allowed to take any seats in the exit row. Then, the business select passengers board. The first 15 slots in the A group are saved for business select passengers or those that have paid full fares...not a discounted fare. Now....there are seldom more than 5 in that group. So, the A group for general boarding starts with A16, and goes along in slots of 5 (A16-20, 21-25, etc.) There are maybe slots for up to 60. Then after the A group boards, those in family boarding go...that can be a ton of people, or just a few....hard to tell. Then, come the B's, again in increments of 5, same as the A's. There are poles that have the corrosponding letter and number so you know where to stand. Finally come the C's. It's in the C's that you will find the most non-EBCI people.

So...will the two of you find seats together? Absolutely. No, it may not be in the front of the plane, but you will find then. I am one who thinks that with the inception of EBCI, only those with EBCI can board in the family group. You want to board then, then you should pay as well if you want to board before those that have already paid. And you don't get to board your entire party....one parent per child. It it's 3 kids and 2 parents, then fine, let them all go together. But, SW is beginning to almost penalize those that don't have young children. And by raising the age to either 8 or 11? Adding insult to injury!! If they stopped taking EBCI money as soon as the A group was gone, then fine. But to expect people to pay an addtl $12-15, and then be behind 25+ people that didn't pay? Wrong, at least in my opinion.

I understand the strong feelings when it comes to Family Boarding

before those who have paid for EBCI
and have a *B* group boarding pass.

I too agree ... all those who paid the extra fee (EBCI) should board before family boarding.

That said ... it is possible the only airport ~ that will be negatively affected (for me) will be MCO.

Last edited:
Ok so jus curious.
I buy EBCI and I also checkin at exactly 24 mark... I seem to always get the end of A group.

So say I got A 55. At the 24 hr before flight checkin..... Would I still have gotten same number if I checked in at any time before my flight??

Also does it matter when I buy EBCI.... Say 2 wks before flight or buy in purchase of flight... Say 6 months away?
I can't seem to get anything but end of A boarding.
And on topic j thinks would be crazy for family to board before EBCI....
Thanks
Kerri

Ok so jus curious.
I buy EBCI and I also checkin at exactly 24 mark... I seem to always get the end of A group.

So say I got A 55. At the 24 hr before flight checkin..... Would I still have gotten same number if I checked in at any time before my flight??

Also does it matter when I buy EBCI.... Say 2 wks before flight or buy in purchase of flight... Say 6 months away?
Thanks
Kerri
EBCI checks you on at 36 hrs prior to flight-at that point your boarding # is assigned-whether you print your boarding pass at 24 hrs or at the airport it wi still be the same # assigned at 36 hrs
People have mentioned in earlier posts that there is a hierarchy to assigning EBCI # but yes purchasing earlier gets you an earlier boarding position than waiting to purchase.
Years ago (and prior to EBCI) my husband and I used to get A 16-20 when we would check in at exactly 24 hours out-but now with EBCI it is hard to not get B boarding group headed to popular destinations especially MCO-our last flight we paid for EBCI and bought our tickets about 6 weeks ahead of our trip and going down we had very high A numbers (50ish) but on the return flight we had B numbers so we boarded during family boarding (traveling with a 2 y/o)

Ok so jus curious.

Thanks
Kerri
As already noted...you don't check yourself in at the 24 hr window, SW has already checked you in at the 36 hr window. With more and more people buying EBCI, people are ending up in the B group now. I used to always get a slot of A25 or lower...not anymore. And who is being checked in before you? Possibly those with some kind of higher status than you. Or possibly, someone could have cancelled their plans and that allows a late comer to jump into that recently emptied slot. It's supposed to work that basically the earlier you book EBCI, the lower slot you get. But, as we've seen, there are other passengers that can 'jump' ahead of us. There just aren't all that many of those people though.

The fare you pay (fare bucket) partially determines your EBCI boarding pass number.

Keep in mind the highest EBCI BP will be one number lower then the lowest BP number issued at T24.

Your not guaranteed very much.

EBCI checks you on at 36 hrs prior to flight-at that point your boarding # is assigned-whether you print your boarding pass at 24 hrs or at the airport it wi still be the same # assigned at 36 hrs
People have mentioned in earlier posts that there is a hierarchy to assigning EBCI # but yes purchasing earlier gets you an earlier boarding position than waiting to purchase.
Years ago (and prior to EBCI) my husband and I used to get A 16-20 when we would check in at exactly 24 hours out-but now with EBCI it is hard to not get B boarding group headed to popular destinations especially MCO-our last flight we paid for EBCI and bought our tickets about 6 weeks ahead of our trip and going down we had very high A numbers (50ish) but on the return flight we had B numbers so we boarded during family boarding (traveling with a 2 y/o)

As already noted...you don't check yourself in at the 24 hr window, SW has already checked you in at the 36 hr window. With more and more people buying EBCI, people are ending up in the B group now. I used to always get a slot of A25 or lower...not anymore. And who is being checked in before you? Possibly those with some kind of higher status than you. Or possibly, someone could have cancelled their plans and that allows a late comer to jump into that recently emptied slot. It's supposed to work that basically the earlier you book EBCI, the lower slot you get. But, as we've seen, there are other passengers that can 'jump' ahead of us. There just aren't all that many of those people though.

The fare you pay (fare bucket) partially determines your EBCI boarding pass number.

Keep in mind the highest EBCI BP will be one number lower then the lowest BP number issued at T24.

Your not guaranteed very much.
Thanks everyone:-)
So that explains it. I always buy lowest fare possible booking way in advance and changing if it goes down, combined with buying EBCI close to departure day.
So I will be purchasing my thanksgiving airfare later in the week, I will purchase EBCI at time of purchase and see if that makes a difference at all. Hard to tell though lol.
Thanks
Kerri

Family boarding wouldn't work if it was between the Bs and Cs. There probably wouldn't be enough rows, or even rows with 2 empty seats, to accommodate famlies with young kids.Family boarding after EBCI passengers might have the same issue. JMO, Southwest needs to limit the number of EBCIs sold. Paying for EBCI is a waste of money if passengers wind up with middle seats.

Southwest sell up to 15 BS fares per flight. I think airlines should also do the reverse. Offer a limited number of low fares which don't offer any kind of advance seat assignment or BP#. T hose passengers would expect to get middle seats.

Family boarding wouldn't work if it was between the Bs and Cs. There probably wouldn't be enough rows, or even rows with 2 empty seats, to accommodate famlies with young kids.Family boarding after EBCI passengers might have the same issue. JMO, Southwest needs to limit the number of EBCIs sold. Paying for EBCI is a waste of money if passengers wind up with middle seats.

Southwest sell up to 15 BS fares per flight. I think airlines should also do the reverse. Offer a limited number of low fares which don't offer any kind of advance seat assignment or BP#. T hose passengers would expect to get middle seats.
But people who need to sit with their families would have the option of purchasing EBCI, just like everyone else.

Here's a concept....limit the number of EBCI slots available. Rather than allow everyone who wants it to buy it. That way, people aren't going to complain when they pay for it yet end up in the mid-Bs! And after family boarding!
It's kind of crazy to expect people to pay extra but then get, what they consider, lesser boarding slots....and be happy about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter