Southwest gift card ?

gilby

DIS Veteran
I am thinking of purchasing sw gift cards at Target, because of the 5% savings. I am wondering if there is a limit of gc that you can use when purchasing air fare, because they are only in 50.00 increments.
thanks

each transaction is limited to 3 forms of payment. If each gift card counts as a form then only 3 per transaction. To maximize the savings you'll want to have more transactions but that means more confirmation numbers to keep track of.

Book each person and each way separately to maximize the number of gift cards you can use. Personally, I book each way separately anyway because it is easier to cancel 1/2 of the trip that way if you ever need to. If you really want to get adventurous, you can combine gift cards by booking and cancelling flights to get each person's gift cards all rolled into one ticketless travel fund, but it takes some work because you have to do each person separately and then that fund has a 1-year expiration. (I used to travel weekly for work and had to do this a few times to use up some gift cards)

Book each person and each way separately to maximize the number of gift cards you can use. Personally, I book each way separately anyway because it is easier to cancel 1/2 of the trip that way if you ever need to. If you really want to get adventurous, you can combine gift cards by booking and cancelling flights to get each person's gift cards all rolled into one ticketless travel fund, but it takes some work because you have to do each person separately and then that fund has a 1-year expiration. (I used to travel weekly for work and had to do this a few times to use up some gift cards)

So if each one of us have a credit do I have to rebook separately or can I book together if it is the same people?

So if each one of us have a credit do I have to rebook separately or can I book together if it is the same people?

I can't say that for sure because I have never tried to book multiple people on the same reservation each with credits. Honestly, I would probably just try it and see if it works, and if it doesn't work I would just book separately. I usually end up booking each member of our family separately and then each leg separately as well - confusing to some people probably, but to me it weirdly makes more sense. If you end up rolling the gift cards into a credit, just make sure to make the credit a little less than you'll need, and then make up the rest of it with some of a gift card. That way you'll end up with extra gift card instead of extra credit that expires.

each transaction is limited to 3 forms of payment. If each gift card counts as a form then only 3 per transaction. To maximize the savings you'll want to have more transactions but that means more confirmation numbers to keep track of.

It used to be 4 forms of payment. Did they change it?:confused3

OP, if it is still 4 forms of payment, each gift card entry would count as 1 form. If you can't complete the transaction with 4 gift cards, you will need to be able to enter a cc which would be yet another form of payment. In that case, you could only enter 3 GCs + 1CC.
As a pp said, you could book each person one way tickets separately. As long as each direction is less than $200 you would be able to cover it with 4 GCs.

Careful with kids! You'll screw it all up if you try to buy a 4 year old their own ticket alone.

Honestly, I do not think the headache is worth 5% :confused3 Multiple tickets, multiple legs of the journey, on multiple people, and still paying with the CC. In fact, it's less than 5% if your ticket costs more than $150.

Is saving $7.50 per ticket really worth it? :confused3

I'd find the savings elsewhere...

descovy said:
Careful with kids! You'll screw it all up if you try to buy a 4 year old their own ticket alone.

Honestly, I do not think the headache is worth 5% :confused3 Multiple tickets, multiple legs of the journey, on multiple people, and still paying with the CC. In fact, it's less than 5% if your ticket costs more than $150.

Is saving $7.50 per ticket really worth it? :confused3

I'd find the savings elsewhere...

I have booked my 4yo on his own ticket, you can link it to your own reservation to show the child is accompanied. Easy.

I have booked my 4yo on his own ticket, you can link it to your own reservation to show the child is accompanied. Easy.

You can book minor kids separately? When we changed our reservations 2 years ago, there was a problem with our tickets because we had used 3 different forms of payment (one being with credit funds) so the agent had to rebook us. But because my girls were 17 & 13 then, she said she had to book the girls with one of us because they were minors and the the other parent went on a completely separate tix. While our tickets were linked, my husband had a completely different boarding number than us and the agent said she couldn't change it. After that fiasco, I decided to always pay our airfare using just one payment method...the headache isn't worth it.

You can book minor kids separately? When we changed our reservations 2 years ago, there was a problem with our tickets because we had used 3 different forms of payment (one being with credit funds) so the agent had to rebook us. But because my girls were 17 & 13 then, she said she had to book the girls with one of us because they were minors and the the other parent went on a completely separate tix. While our tickets were linked, my husband had a completely different boarding number than us and the agent said she couldn't change it. After that fiasco, I decided to always pay our airfare using just one payment method...the headache isn't worth it.

A 16 year old can fly unaccompanied without any issues, so they wouldn't need to be linked to a parent.

mommyrosa2 said:

Yes you can book them separately, I have done it. The system prompts you to link to another confirmation number for the adult.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter